Old 02-22-2019, 11:18 AM   #1
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Who uses DSC?

Based on another thread regarding VHF radios, I thought I would start this discussion.

Do you use DSC?

I found it to be complicated. It is just easier to hail my buddy on Channel 16. Half the owner's manual is all about using DSC.

In Canada my DSC went off as someone was declaring a "mayday." Scare the liv'in crap out of me when it went off. Then I didn't know how to turn it off or delete the call. Had to break out the book for a hour to figure it all out.

Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:52 AM   #2

City: Boston
Vessel Model: IG 30
It was a great idea but I agree, it is excessively complicated. Each manufacturer adopted a different wiring color code and terminology making it just about impossible for the average boater to get it connected.

I have DSC connected but if the floorboards are under water I'm pushing the EPIRB button.

SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:18 PM   #3
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
I think the "push the red button" mayday call is great, and I like that the mayday reaches everyone around, and hopefully plots your position on their plotter. So as an emergency device, I think it's great.

But as a way to call other boats, forgetaboutit. Figure out their MMSI, code it into the VHF, call them, they ack and accept the call or reject it, then maybe talk. Unless you have one or two buddy boat's pre-programmed I just don't see it ever happening. In theory from an AIS display, you should be able to click on a boat and call them, but my understanding is that it almost never works, even with same-brand equipment. Though recently I have heard of it working more, so maybe there is progress. It just seems so much simpler and faster to hail a boat by name.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:40 PM   #4
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
It's great when traveling in company with others. You pre-enter their mmsi numbers, you can speed dial them directly and when integrated with some plotter systems you can see everyone on your list who is in range.
You should as an exercise in good seamanship at least know how to track and respond to an alarm.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 01:22 PM   #5
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
I do have both of my VHF radios connected to my MFDs too, so if I need the "red" button it flashes out my position first.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 02:08 PM   #6
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
I'm with ASD. I may, someday, have a weekend to spend with nothing better to do than stick my nose in a manual while button pushing - but I doubt it. I guess I qualify as a DFC non-user.

I do have the red button figured out.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 02:29 PM   #7
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
I've not ever used the selective calling features. Don't know anyone to call who also has DSC and/or knows their MMSI.

Could use it for calling vessels observed in AIS... but it's faster/easier at that point to hail by name.

-Chris
Old 02-22-2019, 03:06 PM   #8
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
It's great when traveling in company with others. You pre-enter their mmsi numbers, you can speed dial them directly and when integrated with some plotter systems you can see everyone on your list who is in range.
You should as an exercise in good seamanship at least know how to track and respond to an alarm.
Wouldn’t it be easier to just have your buddies and companion boats agree to dual-watch an agreed “pleasure” channel; 68, 69, 71 etc?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 03:16 PM   #9
Guru

City: West Coast
I use it frequently, both for hailing commercial vessels to coordinate crossings and to keep in touch with traveling companion boats. As to the later, especially when fishing, the "position request" and automatic position reply features are very helpful and way less trouble than manually communicating, and plotting, position information.

Similarly, I have started using AIS to send and receive text messages.

None of it is very complicated, at least not after the process is understood.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 03:20 PM   #10
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post

Could use it for calling vessels observed in AIS... but it's faster/easier at that point to hail by name.

-Chris
Not always faster. Once a "warship" was hailing a cruise ship by name. It took at least 10 minutes to get a response. the warship directed the cruise ship to change direction, which it did -- to a collision course with me. Rather than hailing the cruise ship by name, I used DSC and got an immediate reply. Very fast and easy.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 03:25 PM   #11
Guru

City: Pitcairn Island
I used DSC all the time when I was fishing, I didn't think it was all that difficult.
Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 05:02 PM   #12
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
I wanted to test mine out, so I programmed in a buddy's MMSI, who kept his boat in the same marina. One day I saw him on board, and I knew he'd have the radio on, so I called him.

It was hilarious to watch him walking around his boat trying to figure out where that noise was coming from.

I think if the VHF, AIS and chartplotter are all networked, and the software allows you to just click or tap a vessel icon on the screen to call them, it would be a lot easier. I haven't used a system like that yet. It seems the manufacturers haven't settled on a standard yet, so it only works with a one-vendor electronics suite.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 05:59 PM   #13
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
A friend on my dock had the same Icom 504 radios. I wanted to try out DSC. So we both sat there for a half hour to try to go through the motions of using it as intended. After lots of beeps and boops, my friend stuck his head out of his enclosure and asked if we could just go back to Ch 68.
I just got my FCC assigned MMSI. My S/H GX2200 already had a BoatUS issued MMSI programmed in. Check the manual and an MMSI can only be entered ONCE! Must be sent back to the factory service in California. So I call them up and explain that I'm leaving on a trip March 16 and I have to start forwarding the mail soon and need a fast turnaround. No problem if its only an MMSI reset she says. One day turnaround. Great. Ship it 2 day Priority Mail. Gets there on schedule. Today at 5:30 (Friday afternoon) I get an email confirming they got my radio and informed me their turnaround is 2 to 3 WEEKS! Lots of bad words issued. I'm hoping this is a boiler plate form letter but too late to call.
This one or two time MMSI entry is BS.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Enroute to Cape May, NJ
Moore Haven, Florida
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:51 PM   #14
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
I went through the whole elaborate thing, the programming, the FCC license, plowing through all that time and complexity three years ago. Tried to use it in LI Sound and New York Harbor, almost never got a response. Never used it since, but I put DSC in the same category as my boat's federal documentation - it's saltier, more seriously nautical to have everything properly configured. It's just for the sake of the cache' but if I actually want to talk to someone, you just call out on 16 and then jump to a different channel like normal people.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:59 PM   #15
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggitoni View Post
Wouldn’t it be easier to just have your buddies and companion boats agree to dual-watch an agreed “pleasure” channel; 68, 69, 71 etc?
Actually no, it's not.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:28 PM   #16
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
DSC is beyond my comprehension.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:18 AM   #17
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
If in an area outside of cell range, if you DSC someone....I believe the radio has a missed call log type feature so you know if someone tried to contact you.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 06:48 AM   #18
Guru

City: Doha
DSC has been great in Doha. A couple of times when my buddy and I both conveniently "forgot" to check in a the coast guard barge, we were hailed by them. It eliminated visits by aggressive coast guard and security vessels. That and AIS made enjoying the water there a bit more enjoyable.

Now if someone could just figure out how to cool the place off... 122 degrees was too much.
makobuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 06:58 AM   #19
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
Not always faster. Once a "warship" was hailing a cruise ship by name. It took at least 10 minutes to get a response. the warship directed the cruise ship to change direction, which it did -- to a collision course with me. Rather than hailing the cruise ship by name, I used DSC and got an immediate reply. Very fast and easy.

Fair enough. I only meant "faster" for me, of course, not for response. IOW, faster than pressing the buttons to determine the target vessel's MMSI (name is already available on the plotter screen), going through the VHF menu to select the right call, and then entering an MMSI.

That said, I don't think I've ever had a commercial vessel here not answer a hail on Ch 13 immediately. Maybe just lucky...

-Chris
Old 03-01-2019, 04:49 PM   #20

City: Knoxville
Vessel Name: Journey
Vessel Model: 1999 Island Gypsy 32
MY Traveler,

How do you send a text message by AIS?

Gray Dog is offline   Reply With Quote