Whisper Mastervol Generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boydster

Vessel Name
Change of Heart
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42
I've just come across what may be a helluva' deal on a Mastervolt Whisper 3.5 DC generator in "as new" condition with only ten hours use. The power output apppears to be adequate for our needs but I'm wondering what the collected wisdom on this forum thinks of these units.
If it were financially comfortable to do so I'd spring for a new Northern Lights but the price on this Mastervolt seems just too good to pass up.
Thanks if you can advise! - Boyd

We cruised with a sailboat in Mexico a few years ago that had one and they liked it.

Couple of questions though. Are they still being made? How well does Mastervolt support this product?

There have been discussions in the past on Boatdiesel.com about the smaller generators. Something to check out.

I had Mastervolt inverter which didn't work very good. Tech support was not existent and their specs didn't reflect the product. They also didn't stand behind their product. I pull it out after a year and replaced it with a different brand. Based on that experience I wouldn't ever buy any of their products again. Just one persons point of view.
Good luck

Mastervolt is a Dutch company and depending where you cruise, service and support may be non existant.

They do make good products however. I particularly like their hybrid generator/inverter. But it is only available for 240 V, 50 Hz.

David

Thanks all. The Mastervolt distributor for western Canada is only a 15 minute drive from my shop, I'll call them today and inquire about the support status of these units.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think Mastervolt makes this generator any longer. They certainly didn't a year ago or so as I was looking at them.

If you think you are getting a good price, compare that price with the EBay price for a Next Gen 3.5 generator. Of course this is a US price and may be much higher to get it to your country.

Ron

"I particularly like their hybrid generator/inverter"

The wave of the future IF us noisemaker assemblers are pushed hard enough to get off their BUTTS!

The gas Hondas are amazing at how quiet and fuel efficient a plant can be .

But then HONDA competes world wide , the US assemblers dont.

Amazing to me that folks that use power 24/7 with multiple units haven't demanded what can be a 50% -60% fuel bill reduction.

But then HONDA competes world wide , the US assemblers dont.

That might come as a shock to Northern Lights, CAT, Cummins, and Kohler. The lead time for delivery of their units is long because not much else is installed on boats built in the US, EU, or Asia.

Amazing to me that folks that use power 24/7 with multiple units haven't demanded what can be a 50% -60% fuel bill reduction.

The folks who use those generators know how and where to economize. Using small gimmicky generators to save a few gallons of fuel is not where professional operators invest their money.

My 45 year old onan's run like a top. I wonder what a honda 2000 will be doing in 45 years? I can get parts without any issue, I wonder if honda will still have parts for those units in 45 years.

I contacted the local Mastervolt rep and he informed me that the unit in question is still in production. As far as Onans are concerned, we're looking for something to replace the Onan MDJE that was in our GB when we bought her. She still runs (barely) but is becoming increasingly finicky and getting near impossible to find parts for.
Would happily replace this with a new Northern Lights but right now a unit like that is far beyond what I can afford.

Will the Mastervolt shop provide a long term warranty - say 5 years - and have the ability to honor it? Selling a product is one thing, standing behind it another.

The unit I'm looking at is a private sale at about half price of new so no warranty.

I just rebuilt my two onans. The only parts I couldn't find are the actual generator parts. If the power plant goes so does the unit. The engine side still has lots of parts. I bought a spare genset for parts for $500.00 Running take out. Guy didn't want the noise or the aggravation of little parts that stop working.

Swampu, I admire your tenacity. I"ve had an ongoing problem with the centrifugal fuel pump shut-off and haven't been able to find a replacement. Parts for these are getting very tough to find around here. Running my own business gives me precious little spare time, lower maintenance is one thing I'd really value. I should mention that when we purchased our boat things were different; I was a fulltime union employee and had plenty of free time (and cash) to restore, repair and tinker! :banghead:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom