Old 10-31-2014, 10:46 AM   #21
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
For anyone who has or who is thinking of installing an additional power inlet, it is imperative that there be a switch to determine which inlet is active. Simply connecting an additional inlet in parallel with the original will result in the exposed power pins being electrically hot. That is a serious electrocution hazard.

Also, there is a maximum distance the inlet can be from the main breaker on the electrical panel without additional circuit protection. I believe this is ten feet measured along the conductors but you should check to be sure.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:11 AM   #22
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary View Post
In fact if I wanted to I could supply power to the boat using all six inlets or a combination of the two shore power locations. Using all 6 would give 180 amps 240 volts. I also have the ability to assign different shore power cords to different subpanels within the boat. I have three ac subpanels and two dc panels. If that's not confusing enough I have two generators and two inverters.
Don't you have a selector switch or switches that you have to throw in order to choose whether you are using the aft or forward incoming recepticals?

As Ron points out, if you don't you'd have hot plugs on the recepticals you're not using. Not to mention the other issues you'd run into feeding your boat with 6 cords plugged into different dockside power poles coming in to fore and aft recepticals all tied together directly one way or another at the panel.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:41 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Just fwd of the stbd door at the top of the 2 steps up from the cockpit level. It's a good location for access, close to the electrical panel and out of the way for most movement around the boat. When powering with the Honda gen on the FB, I drop a cord over the FB rail down to the plug.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:05 PM   #24

City: NC
Vessel Name: The Blue Comet
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs/ NT32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlord View Post
Our Mainship has this setup. So either bow in or stern in works for us.
Mine too. Mainship did some good thinking when they added a bow and stern outlet as a standard feature on many of their models. No matter which way we head in, forward, backward, or face docking, it is easy to hook up.
ColonyCove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:25 PM   #25
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Just under my Father-in-law's left hand. two 30 amp receptacles one for airconditioning and heat the other for the rest of the AC power loads. Close to the lower helm and AC/DC panel.
Ditto plus we have a Cable TV/Phone hookup at the same area on our 1984 Monk 36.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 05:31 PM   #26
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Hate it when there are only two outlets for every two berths and one boat is using both plugs!
Have a 90-degree connection too. Very helpful.

Better photo of the setup.

Old 10-31-2014, 05:50 PM   #27
Guru

We have one power cord 75 ft long it is located Starboard side in hull and is a glendinning spool unit. It works great and is a consideration for new build. We do always dock Starboard to dock and have never run short of cord. Our boat is highly maneuverable so the demand for stb. dockside is no problem bow or stern in.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0041.jpg  
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:15 PM   #28
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Our shore power cord is on the starboard side just in front of the helm sliding door. Only a 12" run to the AC selector switch, perfectly positioned for accessing shore power as we always starboard tie for boarding and it is amidships.
Attached Thumbnails
Shore.jpg  
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:44 PM   #29
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
We're on the starboard transom with a glendening. Being 50amp it is a necessity. We have 50' but I've determined that 80' is the required minimum so I'm about to upgrade this. We need a port side tie if we want to drop the dink hence 15' for each way of beam plus length.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Trawler
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:09 PM   #30
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
I'll post a picture of my shore power panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Don't you have a selector switch or switches that you have to throw in order to choose whether you are using the aft or forward incoming recepticals?

As Ron points out, if you don't you'd have hot plugs on the recepticals you're not using. Not to mention the other issues you'd run into feeding your boat with 6 cords plugged into different dockside power poles coming in to fore and aft recepticals all tied together directly one way or another at the panel.
I could be mistaken, I may only be able to use three of the supply circuits at a time. I'll post a picture of the panel. They can come from any end of the boat.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:15 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Hate it when there are only two outlets for every two berths and one boat is using both plugs!................
That's when it's time for the marina management to step in. You're paying for electricity so they must provide a way for you to get it. They, not you, should unplug one of the cords from the other boat.

One of my slip neighbors arrived at his boat one day to find his power cord unplugged and another boats cord plugged in to where his had been. The guy on the other boat said something like "I hope you don't mind, I unplugged your boat." Well, with his food thawing out and his AC not running, my slip neighbor said "Hell yes, I do mind!" as he yanked the other guy's cord out and reconnected his. I'm a bit surprised that's all he did.
Old 11-01-2014, 02:24 PM   #32
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary View Post
I could be mistaken, I may only be able to use three of the supply circuits at a time. I'll post a picture of the panel. They can come from any end of the boat.
I would be pretty surprised if it was set up where you could use the same lines in fore and aft simultaneously. In fact I can't see how it could be done safely. You must have selector switches to switch the incoming source of power to the panels between fore and aft. That's the only way I've ever seen it done professionally.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 05:39 PM   #33
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Thank you all for posting up your info and pics.I know my panel will be on the left side of my helm station,where the door to the V birth is.I think the best place will be under the captains window,starboard side.I should have less than a 24 inch run to the panel,if my pre planing pans out.I should only require 30A service.A small A/C system and possibly a heating system,a couple 120v outlets and I should be covered.Everything else should be covered by the DC system.I plan to go bare essentials,but I will set everything up for future up grades.A 30 foot vessel shouldn't need much as far as electrical.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:26 PM   #34
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
People think that but unless you plan differently....even on a 30 foot boat you can wind up with the same power requirements that some 50 footers might have. Think we'll ahead as it is easier now than later to upgrade.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:41 PM   #35
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Ben,

Not to diverge, but what are you planning for a cooktop? Propane? Planning an inverter and large house bank? Charger size? Solar or wind power? Large alternator? Is your heat 12V or 110V? Generator?

All this stuff matters in the big picture and will affect the service required. No propane, lots of refrigeration and inverter capacity? Maybe 30A isn't enough.

My old 1977 boat is mostly propane and 12V. Never had a gen until I bought a small Honda 2000. No heat, no air, simple systems, so 30A is ample as long as I don't use my ceramic heater or water heater or microwave or coffee maker simultaneously. If I lived aboard, 50A would avoid the need for load shedding and be a real quality of life improvement.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 07:09 AM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Thank you all for posting up your info and pics.I know my panel will be on the left side of my helm station,where the door to the V birth is.I think the best place will be under the captains window,starboard side.I should have less than a 24 inch run to the panel,if my pre planing pans out.I should only require 30A service.A small A/C system and possibly a heating system,a couple 120v outlets and I should be covered.Everything else should be covered by the DC system.I plan to go bare essentials,but I will set everything up for future up grades.A 30 foot vessel shouldn't need much as far as electrical.
Try to put the inlet where you can plug or unplug the power cord from the boat easily. You won't always be able to reach it from the dock. I have seen some production boats with this problem.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:05 AM   #37
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Hello Ben. My inlet is "just" too high -- it's in the cockpit and were it three inches lower I could more easily make a seat in that corner. (There is one to starboard for my propane tank.)
AC panel is mid-ship inside and this is probably the best spot for it though were I a new construct I'd have it above the fuel tank and under one of the steps to the pilothouse overhead.

Bear in mind your cord will protrude so consider where it will do so.

Like your planning, my Seaweed in essentially 12 volts though I do have outlets for AC when I turn on the inverter. There is one in the head (by the sink -- perhaps for a guy who shaves?) plus one at the foot of my bed, and two in the galley (port side and starboard)

Idea: For mine, on the starboard side I ran the AC side directly to the front of counter (over the edge so to speak)
That is the initial outlet on the run (with GFCI)

Next, down stream is a switch (on/off) that leads back to the back of the locker where I have the outlet for my AC Haier refrigerator. The thinking is that I can pop the GFCI and reset with ease. Also, when I chose I can shut off the reefer without opening the door.

The one by my sink is mostly used to power my crock pot that conveniently fits inside the sink. When underway I can cook a pot of something scrumptious and not worry about the appliance even if rocked.

Anyway, consider your AC runs and if you don't want cords running helter-skelter perhaps my idea will be of benefit.

I have not found a need for another outlet for AC though I am considering one in the pilothouse for the Christmas tree lights. I can back it to the one in the head so there's already a power source available. Still pondering that one though...

I don't like seeing cords. It's a quirk -- and not to worry: I have plenty more!
Old 11-02-2014, 09:21 AM   #38
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34
Like most 34' TT's the outlet is just forward of the salon door. I was always tripping over the cord and bought a right angle adapter that helps to keep the cord against the bulkhead and out of the way.
Marinco 30Amp Right Angle Cordset Adap MAR-1RPC, At The Dock
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:42 AM   #39
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Heres the set up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
I would be pretty surprised if it was set up where you could use the same lines in fore and aft simultaneously. In fact I can't see how it could be done safely. You must have selector switches to switch the incoming source of power to the panels between fore and aft. That's the only way I've ever seen it done professionally.
I was incorrect, I can use one of my 50amp 240 and one of my 30amp 120 volt cords or two of my 30amp cords. I can select and mix from both ends of the boat. In other words I can supply 50 amps 240 on the bow and 30amps 120 from the cockpit, or the reverse. I can supply one 240 50 amp and one 120 30 amps at the bow or the cockpit. I can supply 2-30 amp 120 volt cords to the bow or cockpit, I can split the two 30 120 volt cords between the the bow and the cockpit. You can't use lines simultaneously, you can use one 240 volt line and one 120 volt line or two 120 volt lines or a single 120 volt, or a single 240 volt line. You can distribute this power selectively to all three of the ac subpanels or just one. The Isolation transformer steps up 120 30 amp single line to 240 volts allowing you to use a limited amount of 240 volts. The Hatteras long range cruisers have very robust electrical systems that include selector switches in the panel as well as fuses at the inlet plugs, breakers in the panel and ground fault breakers between the main panel and the subpanels. Each subpanel has a main breaker and individual circuit breakers. The air conditions have control boxes with circuit breakers at each air conditioner. It is a very commercial system. All Panels are in closed metal enclosures, no open wiring, everything loomed and secured. All selected inputs have voltage gauges and all distributions amp gauges. The generator controls include voltage and and a frequency gauge.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:39 PM   #40
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Thank you everyone.You all have given me some more things to consider and think about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Ben,

Not to diverge, but what are you planning for a cooktop? Propane? Planning an inverter and large house bank? Charger size? Solar or wind power? Large alternator? Is your heat 12V or 110V? Generator?

All this stuff matters in the big picture and will affect the service required. No propane, lots of refrigeration and inverter capacity? Maybe 30A isn't enough.

My old 1977 boat is mostly propane and 12V. Never had a gen until I bought a small Honda 2000. No heat, no air, simple systems, so 30A is ample as long as I don't use my ceramic heater or water heater or microwave or coffee maker simultaneously. If I lived aboard, 50A would avoid the need for load shedding and be a real quality of life improvement.
The boat I am hoping to start building next year is the 30 foot version of the 27 footer in my avatar.My cabin will be a good bit larger than the one in my avatar.Sticking with a trailer trawler for now.

Cooking will be portable propane cook stove.Refer will be a small 12/120 unit.I am looking at a water heater that uses both 110 and engine coolant for heating water.I don't suspect we will be taking many warm showers and we don't require warm water for the occasional hand washing.

I will plan for 50A,just in case.I'd like to keep to DC as much as possible.

My powa will be a house bank with inverter, and backed up by a genny.Also engine will be chipping in while under way.

I'm in the southeast so I may not need heat unless I decide to travel to points north.It's more of one of those luxury items.AC I was planning a small marine unit.I have considered an RV unit,but I'm not sure I want the wart on the roof look.I could use that area for solar panels to maintain the batteries while the boat is sitting.

I had considered taken this boat around the Great Loop,but the more I chat with the admiral,the more I will want a much more roomier boat.I've down graded my expectations of the boat I've been planning to mostly weekenders with possibly 2 week marina hopping on the ICW or gunk hole outings.If by chance,something bad happens and I am a solo sailor,I can do the GL with this boat.I don't require much to live on a boat.Heck,I used to do week long trips on an open pontoon with 2 other guys.I'm getting older so I need a cabin with a cushy place to nap.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote