Old 04-21-2013, 08:26 AM   #1
Guru

City: Tellico lake, Tn
Vessel Name: Carter's Cove II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Ipad vs 740s n garmin support?

I traveled from Va. Using my iPad and Garmins blue chart mobile. I thought for the $30 it was the best option out there as far as navigational tools. I found it after reading a review on Active Captain that it was coming and what to expect. As I've said it lived up to the review at first. I had no issues that were to big to really cause a problem. The heads up was a nuisance when you touched the screen it would flip around and that black circle also a nuisance whenever you touched the screen it popped up.

I had a Garmin 2006c. I only had the chip for the Chesapeake bay. So to start traveling I needed new chips, plotter or navigational software. Garmin no longer supports its older plotters. I would have to find chips on eBay ....I should have took this has hint to Garmins support. Others had told me Garmin didn't play well with others as far being compatible.

I found that with the iPad or mobile software there are limitations as to the amount of tracks. I reached 50 tracks and got an error message that I needed to delete tracks in order to continue. I called Garmins marine support and got a response from Jim E. he stated that the software is not intended to be used as a chartploter. There is no way to save your tracks from the iPad or phone. So the tracks that I created from Va. To Marathon key, Fl can't be saved. Unless I buy a new plotter with Bluetooth then I can save them to that plotter.. I was ready to buy another iPad for back up I thought that this was the way to go. $30 for all the charts I needed to do the loop wow. I wonder if Navionics has this limitation.

Now I'm in the market for new electronics. I like the Garmin 740. I gotta say I'm a little concerned with the support in a few years from Garmin. I understand having a plotter that works with the radar and sonar is really great. I really don't want to spend $6000 to $8000 for the system. I would like to buy something that I can add the other items as I can afford them.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
Guru

David,
I have a Garmin 740 and love it. I suspect Garmin will support this unit for some time to come because it has become very popular.
However there will come a day ......
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:07 PM   #3
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I've been watching the 740 for a long time. When we attended the recent Miami Boat Show, my Admiral wanted to buy a new suite while I was mostly thinking to buy the back-up plotter and radar. I've been waiting for the 740 to drop below 1000 bucks (which it had), but when we saw how Garmin dropped the prices on the 712, we couldn't resist. I'm still watching the 740 for back-up, but hoped that the software for the I-Pads or laptops would continue to improve. The limited number of tracks is really a drag though.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:20 PM   #4

City: Benicia CA
Healhustler,

Did you mean to say a 7012 or a 7212?
Nsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:30 PM   #5
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsail View Post
Healhustler,

Did you mean to say a 7012 or a 7212?
Yes, 7212. The day before the Miami Show, Garmin dropped 1500 bucks and the GPS Store helped even more. I'm still looking at the 740s. It would be a plug & play thing for me with the new radar, and I'd be able to keep radar and/or radar, maybe even engine room cameras on one while charts on the other. For me, a dream system, but I guess I'll need to call the insurance company and upgrade my coverage.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote