Old 11-01-2010, 08:59 PM   #21
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
RE: What size television

Albin43,
Sorry but I can't respond - I wil download iPhone 4 when I get a chance. Sorry to hijack the thread. Photobucket also requires the update. When I try to start a new topic or respond to a PM the "curser" never pops into the text box. Again- sorry to hijack the thread but my laptop is at the office.

Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:03 AM   #22
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
What size television

Quote:
Conrad wrote:

Is it possible to get anything (TV wise) in 12V these days?
Why spend the money. When an inverter does the same. A 12 volt will only *be a TV with a built in inverter.

I have a friend with a monitor/*TV*that hooks into his GPS.
It's really cool to watch the plotter and fish finder on a big screen 42"
He also added engine room camera and a reverse angle camera*for backing up.

SD**

-- Edited by skipperdude on Tuesday 2nd of November 2010 09:08:14 AM

-- Edited by skipperdude on Tuesday 2nd of November 2010 09:09:52 AM

skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:19 AM   #23
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:Why spend the money. When an inverter does the same. A 12 volt will only *be a TV with a built in inverter.
Correct! That's exactly what I did and when cruising it runs off the inverter.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn1124.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	3332  
Codger2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:24 AM   #24
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:

Conrad wrote:

Is it possible to get anything (TV wise) in 12V these days?
Why spend the money. When an inverter does the same. A 12 volt will only *be a TV with a built in inverter.

I don't think that's the case.* More likely a 120 volt TV will have a built in or external transformer to reduce the voltage to something around 12 volts DC.* Your inverter will have some inefficiencies and will make for a "sloppy" installation with extra boxes and wires. A native 12 volt DC TV makes for a ckleaner and more efficient installation, provided you can find one that meets your needs.

I installed a "Skyworth" brand 19" TV/DVD combo on my boat.* It's a 12 volt TV but it comes with an external transformer in case you want to use it on 120 volts AC.* I dont.

I have dressed the wires better since the photo was taken.* The TV works fine.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:45 AM   #25
Guru

Quote:

SD**

Not true. Mine has a transformer between the 120V plug and the TV.

Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:53 AM   #26
Guru

Huh. I have a little Xantrex inverter and a TV/DVD player combo. Sam's club 19 Inch
$248.00
Works fine.

SD
Old 11-02-2010, 11:33 AM   #27
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
What size television

We have a 50" plasma at home w Direct TV and watch mostly news. First year we were in Alaska we watched lots of many channels and got movies from Craig every week. Wore off in about a year. When my stepdaughter moved up here from Washington all she talked about was cell phones, my space and all that other trivial stuff. Now she's got a life and no time for all that stuff. She's involved in other stuff*** ...real life. I personally can't relate to idea of having a TV on one's boat. I think it's ridiculous much less making a discussion about what size to get. Do you guys realize you're addicted to TV?

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Tuesday 2nd of November 2010 11:35:57 AM
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:37 AM   #28

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Model: Albin 43 Trawler

everyone uses there boat for different things, i liveaboard so its redculous to have a tv? do you have a tv at home?
albin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:27 PM   #29
Guru

I go to the boat every weekend . shovel off the snow make a pot of coffee And work on things. The Dickenson keeps her nice and warm.
Can't get TV. So pop in a movie and away you go.

SD*
Old 11-02-2010, 04:09 PM   #30
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
What size television

No. Certainly no. And Albin 43 I'd have a TV if I was a live aboard as well. And SD, no on your use either. I'm talk'in about the gotta have stuff people. Some people will have something vogue even if it's basically useless*** ...just to have it. This is a part of the lifestyle we fled when we moved to Alaska. When cell phones were new a lot of people talked on the phone just to be seen (and heard unfortunately) with that new and cool thing. And a lot of people surround themselves w as many of these trinkets, mannerisms and activities as possible. I think being cool is about as dumb as one can get. Would anybody guess I'm 70 yrs old?I'm sure that has something to do w it. It looks like I'm becoming a grumpy old man but I think I'm getting smarter too.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Tuesday 2nd of November 2010 04:10:34 PM
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:24 PM   #31
Guru

I don't want to hi-jack this thread but maybe this would be considered closely related.

I have a 120v TV and do like to watch the evening news when on the hook. So far haven't started the jenny just for that. What kind of inverter is best for a TV and how do you hook it up in terms of the plug arrangement? I would guess I would wire in a separate plug for the 120 v side of the inverter and would have to replug the TV when I switch from 120v ships power to inverter 120v.
I also have a 120v powered antenna amplifier which would have to be relocated near the inverter plug for the TV with the same switching arrangement.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:35 PM   #32
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck

Eric- You make a great point. We have a TV but mostly Captain Ron gets plugged in as I work on the boat or we put the LSU football game on if it is on a channel we can get. For me, listening to a hard rain as we go to sleep or the sound of a diesel engine pushing us along are much better.
We still have 2 boys at home- and when we drag them kicking and screaming to the boat the one thing they want to do is play video games. Same as when they are home. If I were a 14 old and had a chance to sleep overnight on a boat and get up early to drive a small dink around with a gasoline engine and pretend to fish you could not have stopped me from smiling all night. I wish it were different but have not figured out how to make it different. I suppose I could "relieve " the toys from the boys as I am inclined to do- but I am already considered way too cantankerous by todays standards. I would hope that as they get older the joy of a quiet anchorage and the perfect sunset on an uncloudy day will start to appeal to them
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:46 PM   #33
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Quote:
Forkliftt wrote:

Eric- You make a great point. We have a TV but mostly Captain Ron gets plugged in as I work on the boat or we put the LSU football game on if it is on a channel we can get. For me, listening to a hard rain as we go to sleep or the sound of a diesel engine pushing us along are much better.
We still have 2 boys at home- and when we drag them kicking and screaming to the boat the one thing they want to do is play video games. Same as when they are home. If I were a 14 old and had a chance to sleep overnight on a boat and get up early to drive a small dink around with a gasoline engine and pretend to fish you could not have stopped me from smiling all night. I wish it were different but have not figured out how to make it different. I suppose I could "relieve " the toys from the boys as I am inclined to do- but I am already considered way too cantankerous by todays standards. I would hope that as they get older the joy of a quiet anchorage and the perfect sunset on an uncloudy day will start to appeal to them
Steve,

Pretty soon a cute 14 year old girl will get the attention of one of them and then you will have more to worry about.

JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:33 PM   #34

Quote:
timjet wrote:

I don't want to hi-jack this thread but maybe this would be considered closely related.

I have a 120v TV and do like to watch the evening news when on the hook. So far haven't started the jenny just for that. What kind of inverter is best for a TV and how do you hook it up in terms of the plug arrangement? I would guess I would wire in a separate plug for the 120 v side of the inverter and would have to replug the TV when I switch from 120v ships power to inverter 120v.
I also have a 120v powered antenna amplifier which would have to be relocated near the inverter plug for the TV with the same switching arrangement.
An inexpensive modified sine wave inverter should suffice. The size will depend on your tv's wattage. But if your 120v tv is like mine,*which*actually receives 12v dc with a transformer (110v ac - 12v dc) built in to the plug, you can just skip the*transformer and you have a 12 volt tv. I didn't need to install mine as a 12v set-up but read about a boater that did this. Although for you your antenna amplifier would have to be capable of receiving 12v dc also which might just be. My*Glomex brand antenna amp is 12v dc that can also be 120v ac with the transformer plug.*
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:47 AM   #35
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:
I personally can't relate to idea of having a TV on one's boat. I think it's ridiculous much less making a discussion about what size to get. Do you guys realize you're addicted to TV?

It is not so much addicted to TV but to SPORTS.* I don't want to have to cut short my weekend on the boat to run home to catch the game!!!* Why not enjoy it on my boat, my second home?**

We got a 22" that fits in the space above the hanging locker in our master cabin.*

Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:36 PM   #36
Guru

What size television

Quote:
timjet wrote:

Tim, We permenetly wired in a 650 watt pure sine wave inverter for the "entertainment system". This is the 23 inch flat screen, satellite receiver, antenna booster and dvd recorder/player. The inverter only feed the outlets for these devices and they are always run off the inverter, whether on shore power or batteries. This protects the appliances from power surges and loss and we don't have to constantly switch back and forth. We have set it up this way for a few years now and it works quite well. Chuck

-- Edited by Capn Chuck on Wednesday 3rd of November 2010 01:36:59 PM
Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:24 PM   #37
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:............ I personally can't relate to idea of having a TV on one's boat. I think it's ridiculous much less making a discussion about what size to get. Do you guys realize you're addicted to TV?

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Tuesday 2nd of November 2010 11:35:57 AM
I don't understand why some people seem to be "proud" of their claim of not watching TV and try to belittle folks who do.* If you don't watch it fine.* That doesn't make someone better than someone else.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:43 PM   #38
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
rwidman wrote:If you don't watch it fine.* That doesn't make someone better than someone else.
Hey, get with the program.* This is boating.* That means that whatever you do, it's not only better than what anybody else does, it's right, too.

We don't watch TV on the boat because we don't have one.* Well, we do, an ancient TV/VCR combo unit by Lloyd (how's that for a brand name?)* If we had a decent*TV and if it could receive stuff we'd probably watch it up to a point.

But we use our boat year round*as much as a getaway cabin as a boat.* It's a hundred mile drive from our house to our boat and we go up to it almost every weekend, even if it's just for a day.* But the boat is a "different world" for us, a chance to leave behind work and living in a busy urban area for at least a day.* So we rather like the fact that we are "cut off" from all the news and racket of television for a day or two.

But it could be fun to watch a movie sometimes*on a rainy night on the boat as an alternative to reading.* We just don't have a system on board and I'm too lazy to research the components, buy them, and install them.**Of course today all you need's a computer, which we have, so I guess we could watch movies or TV shows (via*Netflicks) if we really wanted to.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:37 AM   #39
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

Yes, we don't have one either, wife prefers not, but I must admit, when out on a long 2 hr plus leg, I often think being able to watch the cricket test or some other sporting event, while holding the helm because I don't have an A/P would be good. Also just to keep up with the news etc, but I can live without it, that's for sure. I think if I ever did, I'd have to depart from the bigger the better idea expressed by others, as there is no really good place for big in our boat, and even if there was it would not be viewable from the helm, so I'd probably go for one of those aircraft type swing down models that you can swivel round all angles, but the largest screen on them is only about 20 inch, I think.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:59 AM   #40
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
Peter B wrote:
I must admit, when out on a long 2 hr plus leg, I often think being able to watch the cricket test .........
Man, aint that the truth! Not being able to watch the "cricket test"? That* would be
a real bummer for me! * *** (Just kidding!)

Codger2 is online now   Reply With Quote