Old 02-09-2015, 07:46 PM   #21
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Hi Al-and others,

Okay end of the day here us where we are. Purchased a 1500 Watt inverter ($214.00 NAPA). Purchased a 120 V 2.7 cu ft. Haier from Wal-Mart for $114.00.
This after reviewing the boat wiring system. Discovered a forgotten factor. The current Perkins 4-154 has a 110 pre heat unit. On the upcoming change to the Perkins 4-236 there is no need for said pre-heater. Hence, I will use this wiring system to the inverter as it has a built in red light switch. Handy to remind one the inverter is on. There is as I said before, a 110 outlet behind the current 12 volt fridge so the new one has its own 110 outlet. There remains then the placement of outlets to receive both power sources in a convenient location. The inverter will be under the saloon sofa/bunk and away from the engine area (heat). 12 volt wiring will amount to a under 6 foot run from the house batteries to the inverter.
Will keep you advised and thank you all for the contributions-Good stuff!

Al (The other Al) Ketchikan-Bridge to Nowhere, Alaska
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:01 PM   #22

City: MD
Vessel Name: Blue Yonder
Vessel Model: 37
Are you going to have two outlets and change which one the fridge is plugged into based on inverter power or shore power?
BlueYonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:21 AM   #23
Al
Guru

Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Blue Yonder-
Well that seems the simple solution, I am having the Guru of marine electricians coming to the boat to install a complete 110 system to replace the inverter/charger we had taken out a couple of years ago when it failed. I am thinking of challenging him to come up with a tie in system that would allow transferring from 12v to 110 without having to switch plug end between sockets. Maybe using a master switch like from one bank to the other only from one source to the other. Haven't quite figured it out subconsciously and surely not engineer capable to play with it physically. In the end I can live with a simple change out but would still incorporate the red light 110 switch someplace in the inverter system to remind me it is in play.
Thoughts on a switch by any?
Thanks for asking,
Al
Old 02-10-2015, 01:44 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Just for comparison. Bay Pelican's Subzero under the counter size freezer and refrigerator used 440 amp hours (approximate) per day at anchor. New Isotherm replacements 12v/120v marine units use approximately 140 amp hours per day. Batteries are much happier as there are few cycles per day and corresponding generator use.

No cost justification here. Just makes life easier as we anchor out for 120 days each season.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:58 PM   #25
Al
Guru

Report on the electrical Guru's suggestion on wiring the inverter into the system.
There is on the market a 110 switch that mimic the 12v master switches we use on our boats. Somewhat different in operation accomplishing the same objection. This will be mounted under our settee with outside access so we will not have to plug/unplug to shore/12v. On order as we speak. Will wire the 12v side as we await. The distance limits are 6 feet from the batteries to the inverter so we will be good on that aspect. Heavy battery lines (#2).
Again, thanks for all of you guys chipping in with good stuff.

Regards,
Old 02-10-2015, 06:10 PM   #26
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Al

You have taken into account I trust that inverters need space/ventilation for heat dissipation?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:41 PM   #27
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
#2 battery cable for inverter use is usually abut minimum unless the inverter is right next to the batteries....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:21 PM   #28
Al
Guru

Sunchaser Yes, the location is in the same position that a former charger/inveter was located for some 34 years.

Psneeld: The inverter instructions (What! I didn't throw them away??) stated #2 and a maximum distance of 6 feet from batteries. That will be the case. It would sound like the observation of #2 being minimum and not a wiz on wire size (#), would you suggest a size to fit that distance?

Thanks,
A
Old 02-10-2015, 07:30 PM   #29
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
Sunchaser Yes, the location is in the same position that a former charger/inveter was located for some 34 years.

Psneeld: The inverter instructions (What! I didn't throw them away??) stated #2 and a maximum distance of 6 feet from batteries. That will be the case. It would sound like the observation of #2 being minimum and not a wiz on wire size (#), would you suggest a size to fit that distance?

Thanks,
A
ah....2ga is OK...I like a lot of people tend to go a little silly with inverters sometimes.

Good connections and a cool dry inverter and all will be well.

If you get a low voltage warning too much...then the next size gauge or up 2 sizes would be better...but I really do think 2ga should be OK....but minimum.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:03 PM   #30
Al
Guru

psneeld- Sold me! I will move up now and eliminate a potential threat. Thanks, Al