What is this relay for

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want higher air density, you cool it. Providing flow-through with the fans oriented for one in-one out, you might achieve enough air replacement to keep the engine room temperatures lowered, therefore higher density air into the intake.

All this is just noise though...Tim found the purpose for the relays which is what he was after. Thanks for the update, Tim.

On the hundreds of diesel boats I've run and worked on...the blowers/fans remove hot air by exhausting it and let the fresh air makeup come in from other vents or other multiple sources.

We are talking boats and not containers...I hope??????

Last edited:
Greetings,
All interesting points in this thread, thus food for thought. Mr. F. Your cool air fact makes me wonder if I should proceed with my "pipe dream" of air conditioning my ER. Even with both ports open, on a hot day and depending on winds it can reach 140F sometimes. Now I suppose I could brag and say I have a sauna on board but changing out a fanbelt in that heat on a hot engine, well....THAT'S what generated the, maybe "not so crazy after all" idea of AC in the holy place. It would have the added bonus of being a warm place to relax in a hammock on those cool evenings (AC off of course). It's amazing where one gets ideas occasionaly...

poopin.gif

The Op stated that carver made many more gas models than diesel models of his boat. His model was a diesel factory conversion. The fans must be leftover from the gas model buildout and dont serve any purpose.

The Op stated that carver made many more gas models than diesel models of his boat. His model was a diesel factory conversion. The fans must be leftover from the gas model buildout and dont serve any purpose.

The blowers are intended to provide air and cooling to the ER. I have a rather small ER and the blowers provide lots of air. They will suck the air conditioning right out of the boat if turned on with the AC running.

If I remember correctly the USPS boating course manual suggests operating the blowers on a gas boat several minutes BEFORE engine start. So activating the blowers via the ignition switch would not evacuate gas fumes from the bilge before engine start and is probably why only the diesel powered version of my boat has this feature ie: blowers connected to ignition switch.

Since I can remember to manually turn on the blowers when I operate the engines and genny I will probably not install fuses in the power feed. If they blow again I would not hear the blowers (or lack of) above the engine noise and they would be left off.

The blowers are intended to provide air and cooling to the ER. I have a rather small ER and the blowers provide lots of air. They will suck the air conditioning right out of the boat if turned on with the AC running.

If I remember correctly the USPS boating course manual suggests operating the blowers on a gas boat several minutes BEFORE engine start. So activating the blowers via the ignition switch would not evacuate gas fumes from the bilge before engine start and is probably why only the diesel powered version of my boat has this feature ie: blowers connected to ignition switch.

Since I can remember to manually turn on the blowers when I operate the engines and genny I will probably not install fuses in the power feed. If they blow again I would not hear the blowers (or lack of) above the engine noise and they would be left off.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:.................

Thanks for the thread and posting the solution. It kept me reading to find out what the problem/solution was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom