Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 07:53 AM   #41
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Is Carver still in business? If so they should be able to tell you.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:53 AM   #42
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Are you sure the alternator runs THROUGH the selector switch? My alternator was originally connected directly to the battery via the positive stud on the starter. In other words, it was wired, somewhat, directly to the start battery. I have since wired it directly to the house bank with a nice fat wire. Now, I say that to say this --- The selector switch in OUR breaker panel only selects only what SOURCE the DC side of the panel is powered (house, start, both, off) and doesn't direct charging at all. Certainly, yours is different, but I offer it up just to show you how it MIGHT be wired.

(If you look at the pics of my project above, all relays are wired to a positive source. The way relays work, as I am sure you know, is so that small voltage switch can toggle a much larger switch. The wires from your selector switch are probably feed the larger switch side and was likely just a convenient (nearby) power source. That's my theory anyway. It REALLY sounds like you just need to trace wires to know for sure.)

Old 04-03-2014, 08:37 AM   #43
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Airswift
Vessel Model: Ontario Yachts Great Lakes 33
TimJet, not sure if this one has been mentioned. On my single I have to push down on my ignition switch for glow plug activation and then turn to start. Both go through relays the same as you are showing. You say your engines are running normally but are your glow plugs actually working?? Just a thought.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:13 AM   #44
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerh View Post
Are the alternators wired wired to the starter and then through the starter cable to battery switch? This is the way the Cats that i previously had were wired...
That could be and probably is the way it's wired. The Feeder pole on the battery selector switch does have a cable running to each engine.
Thanks
Old 04-03-2014, 09:20 AM   #45
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Is Carver still in business? If so they should be able to tell you.
Not really, they were taken over by another company but still building boats under the Carver name. They still do offer support and I will be contacting them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
Are you sure the alternator runs THROUGH the selector switch? My alternator was originally connected directly to the battery via the positive stud on the starter. In other words, it was wired, somewhat, directly to the start battery. I have since wired it directly to the house bank with a nice fat wire. Now, I say that to say this --- The selector switch in OUR breaker panel only selects only what SOURCE the DC side of the panel is powered (house, start, both, off) and doesn't direct charging at all. Certainly, yours is different, but I offer it up just to show you how it MIGHT be wired.

(If you look at the pics of my project above, all relays are wired to a positive source. The way relays work, as I am sure you know, is so that small voltage switch can toggle a much larger switch. The wires from your selector switch are probably feed the larger switch side and was likely just a convenient (nearby) power source. That's my theory anyway. It REALLY sounds like you just need to trace wires to know for sure.)
I need to re-read and think about what you wrote for a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBomba View Post
TimJet, not sure if this one has been mentioned. On my single I have to push down on my ignition switch for glow plug activation and then turn to start. Both go through relays the same as you are showing. You say your engines are running normally but are your glow plugs actually working?? Just a thought.
No glow plugs on my Cummins 6BT 330 AT-M3's.
But I think maybe this is the right track. Who ever wired this and I believe it's original from the factory, wired it hot to a battery. There must be a reason for this as there is nothing else hot wired to any battery that is not on a switch.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:33 AM   #46
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
The wires from your selector switch are probably feed the larger switch side
The fused wires that come from your battery selector switch, probably are feeding the high-current side of the relay...

(Does that help?)
Old 04-03-2014, 11:09 AM   #47
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Did you ever trace the wire pin 87 is connected to?
Also, what color is that wire?
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Old 04-03-2014, 11:12 AM   #48
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
The fused wires that come from your battery selector switch, probably are feeding the high-current side of the relay...

(Does that help?)
The circuit feeding the coil must be protected as well.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:12 AM   #49
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Or you can also trace the source wire, not the ground or the fuzed one, but the one that powers the coil on the relay.

Could be some pre-ignition circuit, connected to glow plugs??
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Old 04-06-2014, 10:40 AM   #50
Guru

I haven't been to the boat since starting this thread so haven't been able to accomplish some of the suggestions. But a thought came to me, could these relays have any thing to do with the fire suppression unit which I believe if activated will shutdown the engines?
Old 04-06-2014, 11:11 AM   #51
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
If it is part of a Halon or other fire suppression system,don't activate it with yourself in the ER.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:53 AM   #52
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,

Old 04-06-2014, 12:07 PM   #53
Guru

The relays could be for a couple dozen different things. It's all speculation from this end. You have to trace the wires. You don't have to physically trace them, there are electronic devices that will help. Also, the color of the insulation helps with tracing.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:45 AM   #54
Guru

Mystery solved

I contacted Carver and they solved the mystery. The relays start the bilge blowers when the ignition switch is turned on. There are 2 blowers hence 2 relays. There is a manually operated blower switch on the helm that I always turn on before I start the engines and why I didn't suspect the blowers. A nice feature I guess but redundant since I'm able to remember to turn them on manually.
Turning them on manually perhaps blew the fuses.
This feature is installed on diesel versions only.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:31 PM   #55
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
I contacted Carver and they solved the mystery. The relays start the bilge blowers when the ignition switch is turned on. There are 2 blowers hence 2 relays. There is a manually operated blower switch on the helm that I always turn on before I start the engines and why I didn't suspect the blowers. A nice feature I guess but redundant since I'm able to remember to turn them on manually.
Turning them on manually perhaps blew the fuses.
This feature is installed on diesel versions only.
I'm assuming gasoline engines.

Not that great a feature. The blowers are supposed to be turned on four minutes (more or less) before starting the engine(s). Starting is one of the greatest risks of sparks and any gasoline fumes should be evacuated before you start the engines, not when you start them.

Do the blowers shut off automatically? Why are the fuses blown?
Old 04-10-2014, 03:45 PM   #56
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I'd leave the feature disabled. Not needed on a diesel boat, not effective on a gas boat (see above), and the cheap blowers don't last very long and why wear them out.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:26 PM   #57
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
It's a diesel boat (Cummins Engines - in his signature) and I've heard some diesel engine manufactures won't approve new boat installs if there's not enough air volume in the engine room and/or enough open air vents so they require the engine room to be power ventilated.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:53 PM   #58
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
It's a diesel boat (Cummins Engines - in his signature) and I've heard some diesel engine manufactures won't approve new boat installs if there's not enough air volume in the engine room and/or enough open air vents so they require the engine room to be power ventilated.
If that's the case they would have to blow air into the engine room, not out of it as with a gasoline engine.

And the blowers would have to run continually when the engines are running.

Perhaps another call to the manufacturer is in order.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:07 PM   #59
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
The blowers could be rigged either way to satisfy requirements...I don't know about his setup...but I DID know he had diesels because I pay close attention to what I read....in fact I pay CLOSE attention In life in general.

If they come on when the ignition switch is turned on...good chance they DO run all the time the engines are on...thus the reason why the manufacturer used them in the first place...

Blowers on diesel boats are really often just to make sure you have air turnover so the air in the engine room contains cool enough air for the diesels to retain optimum performance.

Whether they suck or blow doesn't matter as long as the engine is happy...but that's not my area of expertise....
Old 04-10-2014, 06:23 PM   #60
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
The blowers could be rigged either way to satisfy requirements...I don't know about his setup...but I DID know he had diesels because I pay close attention to what I read....in fact I pay CLOSE attention In life in general.

If they come on when the ignition switch is turned on...good chance they DO run all the time the engines are on...thus the reason why the manufacturer used them in the first place...

Blowers on diesel boats are really often just to make sure you have air turnover so the air in the engine room contains cool enough air for the diesels to retain optimum performance.

Whether they suck or blow doesn't matter as long as the engine is happy...but that's not my area of expertise....
If you want more air in a container, you blow it in and pressurize it.

Closed Thread