Old 01-22-2012, 08:48 AM   #21
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
What Nav lights do you have?

Quote:
dvd wrote:Moonstruck wrote:
If you are changing only the incadescent bulbs to LEDs, you must be careful to use only LEDs that are certified to the fixture. *
Before I replaced the interior receptacles for all of my 25 year old navigation lights with Bebi bulbs, I did a little research on the regs. There have been extensive discussions on these regs in other forums with many different conclusions, but my UNPROFESSIONAL conclusion FOR MYSELF (i.e. I'm not trying to convince anyone I am right and they are wrong) is that the regs (33 CFR Part 183) apply only to manufacturers and importers of recreational boats after Nov 1, 2003 -- they do not apply to upgrades or replacements or even*modifications*by a boat owner. Even the CG has stated "The rule does not apply to the replacement of existing navigation lights on vessels completed before the designated effective date" (Boating Safety Circular 83, September 2003).

I have*heard/read the arguments regarding liability in case of an accident, and will accept that risk (which I think is minimal). Subjectively, there is no doubt that my new bulbs enhance my visibility compared to the old bulbs, and now I don't have to "tap" my starboard running light to get it to come on, like I used to*.

dvd

*and they

*assuming the light bulbs retain the proper characteristics* for sector (which is very important if your lights don't have screens) and brightness.

I don't personally know...do LEDs have different wave lengths and may appear brighter but may not be seen as far?* I really don't know but I have read some on LEDs and how they differ.

As far as liability...it's all about the operator.* The manufacturer and boatbuilder will get off very lightly compared to the operator if your lights are determined to be a major factor in a collision.

-- Edited by psneeld on Sunday 22nd of January 2012 09:49:54 AM

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:55 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Depending on the construction of your lights, this may be a very inexpensive upgrade.

We lined the insides of our nav light fixtures with SOLAS reflective tape, available at most chandleries. *The intended use of these strips is to stick on PFD's, rafts, etc. They are highly reflective.

Our lights, and maybe yours too, were bright and shiny inside when new. *But now, they are dull. *Lining the inside with SOLAS tape makes a big improvement in light output. While you are in there, clean up your contacts.

Is there a recommendation for something to spray on the contacts to make it easier to remove the bulbs later?

cheers

-- Edited by Penny Lane on Sunday 22nd of January 2012 09:57:01 AM

Penny Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:08 AM   #23
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

I upgraded all the lighting on my boat to LED. Interior, exterior, navigation lights and anchor light.

While people often suggest using automotive LED replacement "bulbs", these don't typically have the required angle of illumination and putting a re or green filter in front of a white LED results in verry little light output.

I used LED replacement bulbs designed and manufactured for marine navigation and anchor lights. They work fine and keep the original appearance of the boat intact. West Marine and other vendors sell them. Dr LED is one brand.

"Dielectric grease" is good for preventing corrosion of electrical contacts and for insuring that the bulbs can be removed at a later date. West Maine carries it, but it's also available in any auto parts store. Don't go hog wild a thin film will do.

Note: "dielectric" means "doesn't conduct electricity". That's why you can use it in a lamp socket without shorting between the contacts. When you insert the bulb (or plug, it's good for that application as well), the grease is scraped away from the actual metal to metal contact surfaces but remains around them to seal them from moisture and air.

-- Edited by rwidman on Sunday 22nd of January 2012 10:08:37 AM
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:29 AM   #24
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
RE: What Nav lights do you have?

Quote:
psneeld wrote:

I don't personally know...do LEDs have different wave lengths and may appear brighter but may not be seen as far?* I really don't know but I have read some on LEDs and how they differ.

As far as liability...it's all about the operator.* The manufacturer and boatbuilder will get off very lightly compared to the operator if your lights are determined to be a major factor in a collision.

*I see the range as the big problem. *We don't know what it is. *I can say that a good admirality lawyer will know the rules and check everything to protect his client. *It is a miniscule chance that it could be a problem, but that's one I don't want to deal with. *If I were changing the navigation lights, it would be the whole fixture that is certified.*

On another note, because of the different wave lengths mentioned, it is important to get the LED replacement in the color of the lense that it will be behind> *A white LED will not work so well behind a red or green lense.
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:33 PM   #25
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC

I changed out my anchor light to the $35 Davis Mega Light

and converted to LED with the $10 Marinebeam LED replacement bulb.

The combo gives me auto on/off with the photocell and less than .050 amp power consumption with great brightness.

FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #26
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
FlyWright wrote:
I changed out my anchor light to the $35 Davis Mega Light......

Al:

As always, you're graphic presentations are the best!
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:59 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
FlyWright wrote:
I changed out my anchor light to the $35 Davis Mega Light

and converted to LED with the $10 Marinebeam LED replacement bulb.

The combo gives me auto on/off with the photocell and less than .050 amp power consumption with great brightness.

*Not necessarily a good picture/test as LED lights tend to be directional.* Take the same picture at something other than straight on and it may be less bright than the incandescent with the frensel lense.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Penny Lane wrote:
Depending on the construction of your lights, this may be a very inexpensive upgrade.

We lined the insides of our nav light fixtures with SOLAS reflective tape, available at most chandleries. *The intended use of these strips is to stick on PFD's, rafts, etc. They are highly reflective.

Our lights, and maybe yours too, were bright and shiny inside when new. *But now, they are dull. *Lining the inside with SOLAS tape makes a big improvement in light output. While you are in there, clean up your contacts.

Is there a recommendation for something to spray on the contacts to make it easier to remove the bulbs later?

cheers

-- Edited by Penny Lane on Sunday 22nd of January 2012 09:57:01 AM
*my gurss is that you made your light illegal by changing the sector characteristics if that tape is very reflective.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:59 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Re change in light sector. *Why? *

The light was shiny inside when new. *The housing and lenses limited the visibility of that light to the proper sector. The SOLAS tape restores the shiny without changing any other charcteristic.

cheers,
Penny Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:48 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Penny Lane wrote:
Re change in light sector. *Why? *

The light was shiny inside when new. *The housing and lenses limited the visibility of that light to the proper sector. The SOLAS tape restores the shiny without changing any other charcteristic.

cheers,
*The lights shoud have never been shiny on the inside to begin with...that's why screens are to be painted flat black so the reflection can't be misinterpreted as seeing the light throughout a bigger sector.

The angle fron the bulb filiment to the edge of the plastic/bronze housing*deterines the sector.* If a bright reflection is coming from all over inside the housing...only a large outside screen would keep the sectors correct..otherwise the angles would be grossly different inside the original light housing.

Don't feel bad though...so many boats are set up at the factory with incorrect lighting, the USCG after years of me complaining (probably wasn't me but I'd like to think so) issued several public statements as I posted earlier...it's the operator that is responsible for ensuring proper lighting...not the boat or light manufacturer.

So many light manufacturer's and boat builder just bolt them on without a care...thus my complaint about Ranger tugs.* They paint their screens the same color of their lights..probably for marketing.* If they do that in DIRECT violation of a very simple Navrule...then what else do they do for marketing?

-- Edited by psneeld on Monday 23rd of January 2012 06:49:12 AM

-- Edited by psneeld on Monday 23rd of January 2012 06:49:36 AM

-- Edited by psneeld on Monday 23rd of January 2012 06:51:06 AM