Originally Posted by catalinajack
From the picture you posted the Lofrans sure looks to be a much easier install including a retrofit.
I couldn't say. Our Lofrans was replacing a similar size horizontal windlass that sat on the same laiminated teak block. It's through-bolted through the block and the deck to a pair of heavy backing plates. We used solid bronze rod for this that we threaded at both ends. So it's a windlass-block-deck-backing plate sandwich.
We had to bore new holes through the block and deck to align with the Tigres holes. The white plate the windlass is sitting on I had made simply to cover the holes and the part of the chainway from the original windlass that was exposed by the Lofrans footprint.
So the project was simply making use of what was already there rather than totally changing windlass configurations. I don't know what's involved in mounting a vertical windlass so don't know how much work it would be to switch types.