Old 06-20-2015, 05:24 PM   #21
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
From the picture you posted the Lofrans sure looks to be a much easier install including a retrofit.
I couldn't say. Our Lofrans was replacing a similar size horizontal windlass that sat on the same laiminated teak block. It's through-bolted through the block and the deck to a pair of heavy backing plates. We used solid bronze rod for this that we threaded at both ends. So it's a windlass-block-deck-backing plate sandwich.

We had to bore new holes through the block and deck to align with the Tigres holes. The white plate the windlass is sitting on I had made simply to cover the holes and the part of the chainway from the original windlass that was exposed by the Lofrans footprint.

So the project was simply making use of what was already there rather than totally changing windlass configurations. I don't know what's involved in mounting a vertical windlass so don't know how much work it would be to switch types.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 06:57 PM   #22
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
caltexflanc:
I don't judge gear by their website. I just think anyone with a good product and poor marketing is likely looking at limited market potential. It's like marketing sushi as Cold Dead Fish...

stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:59 PM   #23

City: Green Cove Springs, Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to bglad
I have had success on a number of occasions tapping on the motor housing. Seems that some of these units have spring loaded brushes that will stick in their housings. A tap with a hammer will get them running until they stop next. Since I only find trouble (do surveys not service) have not yet had an opportunity to pull one down and describe an appropriate service or repair but if you know a little about electric motors and can get it apart you may have some success...
bglad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 04:32 PM   #24

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by bglad View Post
I have had success on a number of occasions tapping on the motor housing. Seems that some of these units have spring loaded brushes that will stick in their housings. A tap with a hammer will get them running until they stop next. Since I only find trouble (do surveys not service) have not yet had an opportunity to pull one down and describe an appropriate service or repair but if you know a little about electric motors and can get it apart you may have some success...
BGLAD - I am guessing this is Bill Gladding, marine surveyor, and a good one at that. Well, thanks, because your advice was right on the mark. I gave the drive motor several firm taps with a hammer and the windlass was thereafter operational. Bill, you surveyed my Defever 44 in February 2014, M/V Prim at the time, now named Cataina Jack. Mike Dickens was our broker. Anyway thanks for the tip and thanks to all who took the time to make suggestions.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:10 AM   #25
FF
Guru

The hammer tap works , but a set of new brushes , with the springs still intact will not be that much , even from Galley Maid.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote