What happened to Interphase/Garmin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's been over 2 years since Garmin bought Interphase, ostensible to accelerate the addition of forward sonar to the Garmin product line. The silence has been deafening. If the goal was faster time to market, it didn't works since Simrad already announced integrated forward sonar. And I read some time back (probably a year at least) that Interphase had quietly halted sales of product.

My guess would be that post-acquisition, Garmin realized they bought a lemon, and have been quietly sweeping it under the rug. It happens surprisingly often with tech acquisitions.

Anyone know more?

Support still there by Garmin for Interphase products but limited. I just bought a Twin Scope and thru hull transducer from a marine exchange and it tested great. At 1/7 of new cost. Was happy to get it for the reasons in prior post. The Garmin version isn't even vapor ware yet.
It scans up down in front or sideways in front. Now to get the big fairing block.
Dan

I upgraded my Ultrascan PC in October 2012 as the old unit could not communicate with modern serial ports. It only worked on Windows XP and older. I tried pretty hard to resolve the issue, and Cory from Interphase was most helpful but they were aware of the issue and had not found a solution either.

For the upgrade I dealt with the old Interphase office, which by then had just been renamed "Garmin Santa Cruz". Due to refit delays I only installed and tested the unit in April 2013. There was an issue requiring the unit to be returned, and the RMA address was in Kansas. The Garmin support was quite efficient, but IIRC by then the Santa Cruz office phones had been disconnected and the office presumably closed. Perhaps the key Interphase folks did not want to relocate and left for other pursuits? It is a niche product, so without the original Interphase tech people Garmin could well have had difficulty with further product development.

My warranty return was surprising - the replacement box would not work either. It turns out the original power cable that was supplied had the wrong polarity! Easy fix, but not something obvious to track down.

I have not used the Ultrascan very much and there is an art in reading/interpreting it, although its not that difficult really. As with many things, practice! I expect it will get a really good workout next cruising season as I enter coral lagoons.

It helps that I watched sonar for years on a sub. We used the big active sonar plus radar to drive up Thimble Shoals channel in pea soup fog one time. I am looking forward to playing with a phased array sonar again grin :D. Probably not until late spring after next time on the hard.

Maybe the Interphase brains went to Simrad and created their forward sonar? They seem to be the first out with a product since the Garmin/Interphase vaporization.

I had the twin scan on a 40 foot boat. Never got it to do what I expected. Worked great in deep water, worthless in shallow. Basically gave it away on ebay.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom