Westerbeke 8btd Fuel Solonoid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kev_rm

Vessel Name
Kismet
My generator fuel solenoid is only partially engaging during "preheat" (You have to hold the preheat to turn off the safety circuits which engage the fuel pump and solenoid during starting). After about 20 seconds of it running at low rpm (maybe 1000) with preheat held, the circuit breaker on the generator pops and it shuts down

If I jump the solenoid it starts and runs just fine, and after about one minute I can remove the jumper and the solenoid and fuel pump run just fine.

My first guess is that I have a shorted glow plug that's pulling the voltage way down but its a little hard to get to so thought I might poll the forum first.

My solenoid linkage was corroded and affected the travel. I replaced the linkage and the solenoid has worked fine ever since.

Id guess linkage or bad wiring to the selnoid.

Check the glow plugs for ohms as well.

When you hit the preheat switch the solenoid should snap right across fully. Easy to observe.

Can you get easier access to the wire leading to the glow plug disconnect it , and see what happens?

That did the trick, I popped off the glow plug solenoid wire and it fired right up. Short in glow plug circuit somewhere but out of the woods now, don't need glow plugs in this climate much ;)

There is a service bulletin on that requiring another wire connecting two screw posts. Easy fix.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom