Old 11-04-2014, 04:28 PM   #21
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
I haven't used that particular one.When I was a maintenance man,I used the trojan model to keep the batteries full on various pieces of equipment where some of the batteries were difficult to reach.Never had an issue.Just check the water level in the tank and fill with distilled water as needed.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 12:37 AM   #22
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Imperceptible crack or pin hole in battery case at or on circumference around pole. Pushes acid up onto pole exterior during high rate charge because the moisture follows up the pole. This can happen even if cells are not at all full. Year ago on my gen set starter batt I kept getting unusually high rates of sulfating that ate up items hooked onto the battery clamp. Even though battery kept working fine I finally gave up, hauled it out and went to Batteries Plus store with that battery. I planned to purchase new one and keep older offending battery as an extra. They did some heavy draw downs and found old battery well charged with plenty of life left. Then they gave it a high amp jolt charge and the problem became apparent as acid-moisture quickly began oozing out of area around terminal. I left that old bat with them. Gen set is enjoying its new batt!

Hope this helps - Good Luck!

Happy Batt Daze!! - Art
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:02 AM   #23
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
This is not a cure but have you ever heard of battery mat

Battery Mat home page

great product they have a dealer in Baton Rouge I think out on Airline highway near Evangaline but certainly south of the curve

I have used this product with great results but it is still important to try to trace the issue
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:23 AM   #24
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
You can also just line the bottom of your battery boxes with baking soda before you drop in the batteries.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:46 AM   #25
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by siestakey View Post
This is not a cure but have you ever heard of battery mat

Battery Mat home page

great product they have a dealer in Baton Rouge I think out on Airline highway near Evangaline but certainly south of the curve

I have used this product with great results but it is still important to try to trace the issue
Hi siestakey

Thanks for description and link.

Battery Mat's general literature reads interesting. I went through their website and could not locate too much in-depth info on most products they offer... virtually no pictures (only two bad quality photos of the Matt) and no diagrams. Interestingly, there is no mention of price nor a way to order off the site (maybe I missed something??); simply a phone # and email address.

Are they just not too good on marketing to the public; already having plenty of biz from govt. contracts??

How'd you order yours / any retail dealers in the U.S. - Like NAPA or O'Reilly auto stores?

I like to touchy-feel before purchase and surely to at least see in-depth, descriptive product pictures. Although your post is convincing... you'd think testimonials from others as well as some pictures of instillations aboard boat, in car, etc would be a good idea for them to expand sales.

Happy Batt Daze - Art
Old 11-13-2014, 08:50 AM   #26
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
You can also just line the bottom of your battery boxes with baking soda before you drop in the batteries.

Great idea. I drop baking soda alongside the batteries into the box after install, but only a 1/4 inch or less of wiggle room.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:59 AM   #27
Guru

City: gulf coast
When batteries vent they vent some acid vapor. IMO a cover with plenty of air space and air vents may condense some of that and keep in inside
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:16 AM   #28
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
I just bought the FlowRite battery filler system. It's pretty simple to install and should be a big help in watering the batts, they're in a PIA place to reach, requires a mirror to look down at the holes while filling. I'll let y'all know how this works out.
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:04 AM   #29
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Comanche View Post
I just bought the FlowRite battery filler system. It's pretty simple to install and should be a big help in watering the batts, they're in a PIA place to reach, requires a mirror to look down at the holes while filling. I'll let y'all know how this works out.
Hey GC - I look forward to learn your success. Just went through FlowRite website.

My boat batts:

- Four 31 deep cells batts (house bank and engine starters)... nestled low in ER center, between stringers... way to rear of twins, by transmissions and shafts, underneath Professional Mariner charger.

- One 27 starter batt for gen set... far to front of ER... charged by Gen Set when running and trickle-amp solar panel when not.

- One emergency-only isolated 27 combo batt in its own box at center of ER (slightly to port, past stringer)... charged by trickle-amp independent charger that is usually turned on when AC elect power runs by dock or gen set.

Distance from house bank to gen set starter 8' +/-; isolated emergency batt in-between.

Question I have regarding FlowRite: Am I correct that it would be used only for the four 31's as house bank... seeing as the other batts are so distant from house bank? Or, are there ways to have water feed tube routed to all batts?

It does require contortion feats to do house bank and gen starter... although it's only needed for quick check-up in six months and fill-up per year intervals.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:16 AM   #30
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Great idea. I drop baking soda alongside the batteries into the box after install, but only a 1/4 inch or less of wiggle room.
If you have a little extra clearance at the top of you battery box you can put down some of that grated plastic mat (like Dry Dek) on top of the bakeing soda and then set your battery on the mat. That keeps a nice air space under the battery as well as keeping the battery bottom out of any junk or liquid that might form in the bottom of the box.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:59 AM   #31
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Art

I have a friend near my land home Thomasville that is a seller of historic military trucks he had one under a few batteries

he gave me that horrible website I had to email them

and by the way I just emailed her again and got a autoreply she is out of the office till Monda

I bought some for our Tractor at the farm in Louisiana and for the Farm in Georgia

When I saw this thread I thought of it and Marine use
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 11:15 AM   #32
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Remember if aluminum can't be exposed to oxygen you can get crevice corrosion or pitting. Painting or covering aluminum is ok until moisture gets under the cover, then corrosion goes crazy, even on marine alloys. You are better off not painting your aluminum battery racks, just keep them clean and dry. If this is your first aluminum boat it is contrary to everything else we believe for corrosion prevention.

Look at any painted aluminum boat, check around seams or screws/bolts...
Old 11-13-2014, 11:16 AM   #33
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by siestakey View Post
Art

I have a friend near my land home Thomasville that is a seller of historic military trucks he had one under a few batteries

he gave me that horrible website I had to email them

and by the way I just emailed her again and got a autoreply she is out of the office till Monda

I bought some for our Tractor at the farm in Louisiana and for the Farm in Georgia

When I saw this thread I thought of it and Marine use
Thanks! So you purchased via phone or email?? What was the approximate cost per a single battery size? Guess you are very satisfied. I would use in boat as well as classic car and truck. Also, why not in other vehicles too. I'll contact them next week to see if we can do some business together. Again, Thanks!
Old 11-13-2014, 11:28 AM   #34
Art
Guru

I called Battery Mat 800# on their silly site; spoke with outside rep... Not the sharpest blade on the knife!

Anyway... here is link for purchase through a distributor:

Battery Mart - Search

Cheers! - Art
Old 11-13-2014, 11:49 AM   #35
Guru

Art:
Attached are copies of the FlowRite instructions that came with it. The filler part was $64, the bulb assembly is extra ($19). Total w/ shipping was $94.
Mine is for 6 volt golf cart batts, I think you can get this one for no more than 6 batts. I did not look at the ones for other set ups.
Mike
Old 11-13-2014, 11:50 AM   #36
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Comanche View Post
Art:
Attached are copies of the FlowRite instructions that came with it. The filler part was $64, the bulb assembly is extra ($19). Total w/ shipping was $94.
Mine is for 6 volt golf cart batts, I think you can get this one for no more than 6 batts. I did not look at the ones for other set ups.
Mike
Mike - Attached??
Old 11-13-2014, 11:52 AM   #37
Guru

Tried to attach twice, no luck. Can email if you want, they're pdf files.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:55 AM   #38
Guru

I think the same instruction sheet can be seen on their website.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:06 PM   #39
Art
Guru

OK, I'll check. My email in PM To you just in case! TY, Art
Old 11-13-2014, 12:33 PM   #40
Guru