Weatherproof dockside male connection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhance

Vessel Name
Audrey Grace
Vessel Make
2003 Camano 31
I notice most dockside shower power cord ends (male end) do not have the black threaded connector even though many shower power outlets have the threads. I'd like to waterproof this connection similar to what is on the female end of my shower power cord. I'm not seeing a way to do this, and I don't see any new cords that have the black threaded collar (it's only on the female end).

Can someone advise as to why this is and how to accomplish this? I can get the threaded couplers but they appear to only be for the boat side (female end)... ?

Yes but it states that is for the boat side only. Can you confirm this works on the shore side as well?

I added the Marinco collars to the dock end of my cords to allow them to seal to various adapters, etc. I've never seen a power pedestal with sealed connectors though.

As much for strain relief, as sealing. Having a plug pulled out of the socket by movement in the slip can cause a lot of " arcs and sparks" and damaged plugs. Hopefully the boat side socket is some what protected from the weather. Spray them with 303 for lube and UV protection, makes it easy to screw them down. LPS III for corrosion protection (when not energized)

Never seen a shore outlet that accommodates a locking collar. And most have a cover that flips down keeping the rain out. If you are paranoid, wrap some plastic wrap around it a few times (we like Press 'n Seal) and it will waterproof and help hold it on, though the twist lock does that just fine. We've actually did that twice when at a dock where the outlets were totally exposed and it was raining. In both cases someone came by and scoffed.

I will try the Marinco sealing collar and try to fit it over the male end. It looks like the collar is chamfered so hopefully will go on that way. attached is pic of my shore power connection. looking to thread the sealing ring to the threads on the shore power receptacle similar to on my boat's Hubbell connection.

Attachments

• 20191221_153224.jpg
    20191221_153224.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 40
:thumb:That exactly what we have, just work the threaded collor over the first flange on the plug......:thumb::thumb::thumb:

You carry electrical tape. $0.50 to wrap enough over the joint to keep out the water and hold the connections tight together.
Peels off easily when you are ready to leave the dock.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom