Weather Stations Onboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For looks and working with no blown fuses the old style barograph cant be beat.

If anyone is interested I will part with mine for $175 plus shipping,

You will have a paper record to show "how low did it go?" when the hurricane went by!

Aneroid Barographs and barograph charts - Barometer World

Barograph Charts and Barographs, Antique barometers, barometerts for sale, barometers sold, repaired and restored at Barometer Worldbarographs.htm

Seems like a monumental leap backwards! No scrolls and pen barometers on my boat! This seems to me like carrying a sextant onboard nowadays for coastal and inland celestial navigation. It still works, but there are much better and easier ways to obtain the information needed.

Barograph

Seems like a monumental leap backwards! No scrolls and pen barometers on my boat! This seems to me like carrying a sextant onboard nowadays for coastal and inland celestial navigation. It still works, but there are much better and easier ways to obtain the information needed.

Sorry but I don't agree with you. Not only the atmospheric pressure is important. The speed of the atmospheric pressure drop is an essential element. If it would drop quickly, be sure a strong wind is coming soon. How would one really measure the speed of a pressure drop without a - paper or digital - graph ?

Sorry but I don't agree with you. Not only the atmospheric pressure is important. The speed of the atmospheric pressure drop is an essential element. If it would drop quickly, be sure a strong wind is coming soon. How would one really measure the speed of a pressure drop without a - paper or digital - graph ?

Most halfway compete weather stations have a bar graph, see the pix Dave and I posted of our LaCrosse units. Having something more complex is nice if you are a historian. Either way you have to be giving it almost your full attention. Yes I have been known to let out some more scope after checking it and the weather radar

Look at the upper left corner of my digital wx station....a digital barometric bar graph.

img_411718_0_a74fd288eb4ea4bb1cecade86d8c439e.jpg

Most halfway compete weather stations have a bar graph, see the pix Dave and I posted of our LaCrosse units. Having something more complex is nice if you are a historian. Either way you have to be giving it almost your full attention. Yes I have been known to let out some more scope after checking it and the weather radar

No full attention needed. Mine aboard has an alarm what rings when atmospheric pressure is dropping faster than 2 mb in 1 hour. (Easy to setup the mb drop from 0.5 to 3 mb / 1 hour).

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    51.9 KB · Views: 78
at sea is one thing...but if you can get cel or internet....seeing what weather you are about to get is easy and probably way more accurate.

I like on board weather stations for a few things...but yet to cross a body of water in a rec boat where outside weather wasn't available some way.

Kinda like a sextant...nice to practice with but for fixes I usually back my EP with GPS.

"It still works, but there are much better and easier ways to obtain the information needed. "

Electric toys are great fun, but a winding key dies far slower than any battery , and the White Smoke of death never comes out of a spring..

"Different ships , different long splices"

Ambient Weather Ws-2095 Wireless Home Weather Station is the one I fitted to the boat.

Transmission range o.k originally but now sucks. Did originally work for a trip then it will not transmit to the bridge through the bimini top and flybridge deck to the bridge below 12ft. I can re-sync by taking it to the flybridge. So have now given up and bought a inspeed aneometer $85 more interested in w/s than angle, this is a hard wired unit. Along with the siftwarer, will put up w/s on my laptop. Hopefully more reliable. Wind direction....I can see out of the bridge and decide that.

If no internet, I found that radar combined with the weather station was all I really needed. The satellite weather services like Sirius are a great addition, never did get around to installing it.

What can I say? I like redundancy but I'm cheap! Works for me.

If the boat has a mast of any sort the easiest wind indicator is a "nighthawk".

This is a pennant about 2 or 3 inches wide of light spinnaker material 5 to 8 ft long.

Its too long to flap and make noise but can be seen at a glance even on dark nights.

Googled to get a picture but google failed after multiple attempts. Sorry.

If the boat has a mast of any sort the easiest wind indicator is a "nighthawk".

This is a pennant about 2 or 3 inches wide of light spinnaker material 5 to 8 ft long.

Sailors call it a telltale or tattletale to show where the sail is luffing.

You can also get a weather dog. If the dog comes back in and is wet, it's raining outside. In my case, if the dog won't go out, it's raining outside :)

I have the Airmar 150 weather monitor that provides information on true and apparent winds. The information is displayed on my Maretron panel, on the Coastal Explorer display and on a Furuno Fi 50 display. There seems to be a malfunction with the measurement of barometric pressure. Not sure if it's a spider web up there or whether the sensor is pooched.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Stick your nose out the door occasionally.

weather station

This one is very useful and not messy, about 7 years in use.
Not sure if it is in the market today

Attachments

• barometer.jpg
    barometer.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 83
Al:

I think this applies to you:

26708. (a) (1) ... (2) A person shall not drive any ..... vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied in or upon the vehicle that obstructs or reduces the driver's clear view through the windshield or side windows.

from the California Vehicle code.

Al:

I think this applies to you:

26708. (a) (1) ... (2) A person shall not drive any ..... vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied in or upon the vehicle that obstructs or reduces the driver's clear view through the windshield or side windows.

from the California Vehicle code.

koliver, it's not as bad when standing or sitting at the helm. Here's a panorama shot from underway today.

img_413045_0_acfde035662c4f3095aecefbebbb805c.jpg

That's awesome! BTW, what wheel pilot is that? Is it functional?

Mine is a Raymarine

It's a Simrad WP5000. It works great! If it failed Monday, I'd be shopping for a new one on Tuesday.

Al:

I knew you have a sense of humour.
My view is a little better (only a little, not a lot).

But: I recently bought a car in Ca, mounted my GPS on the windshield (the only possible location) and immediately had my next door neighbour advise me to remove it or risk getting a ticket for obstructing my view. Hence my familiarity with the Ca Code.

You're absolutely right about the DMV vehicle code. Shortly after I learned of it, I asked a cop and he said it's not often enforced. Of course, that doesn't mean you can't get a ticket. I've been using a similar windshield mount for my Samsung Note8. I run Google Maps on it. Never had a problem from LEOs with mine.

Didn't say I removed mine.

I looked it all up and informed my neighbour that there is an exception for GPS, so long as it doesn't obstruct the view too much.

Up to the LEO to decide to pull you over first, which isn't likely, then to notice the GPS, then to get angry with you... not likely to ever be a problem.

Last month, my wind indicator died, rendering my wx station from this post pretty much useless.

I forgot about this thread and went ahead and ordered a new wx station from Amazon for $66 on Monday and it arrived at my door on Tuesday! As it turns out, it's the same model many on this thread use.

81RUpsD6tqL._SL1500_.jpg

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YVTTQ4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The mount for the sensor is very simple and easily adapted for marine use. Mine fits perfectly on my radar mast cross-member and looks like it belongs there. It lacks wind direction, but that is not important to me since I have a windsock! :socool: :eek: :D It also lacks a rain sensor which is a positive to me since I don't need or want that data.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom