Old 06-24-2015, 06:40 AM   #21
FF
Guru

Of course with a small TV set the local weather will include forecasts and the satelite view of the area.

With a short wave and computer you can get the forecast and dozens of other info for free.

Great fun cruising in FL and seeing the 15 METER wave areas in the North Atlantic.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:19 AM   #22
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTEDAVIS View Post
Yep I can see that, however I can get that information from other sources and for free. I do weather planning from several sources and use the cheap weather station to entertain me and let me know what the wind speed is doing without leaving my birth. That's all I need weather station wise.

Heck in today's world weather is only an app. or several hundred away.

Yep, I use apps for that, too. Weather Underground, for example, "tuned" to a reporting station near us. But I have several others, too.

Wondering what the advantage of a weather station is... for those of us with "app range."

-Chris

Old 06-24-2015, 08:33 AM   #23
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Yep, I use apps for that, too. Weather Underground, for example, "tuned" to a reporting station near us. But I have several others, too.

Wondering what the advantage of a weather station is... for those of us with "app range."

-Chris
As long as you have internet and can read weather radar and a conditions map, not much except for wind speed, direction and outside temp at your location...they are as inaccurate as all those goofy reading from every weatherman wannabe and improperly installed stations at every local elementary school for true regional weather.

A small wind indicator will give direction...

I had a cheapo one...stopped working every blow over 35 knots or so...

Don't miss it a bit....would LIKE to have another...but at $600+ just to know what I can estimate pretty accurately....not a chance.

Study wind a weather just a tiny bit and you can get pretty good at it too.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:41 AM   #24
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
If you have internet, try this one out...

https://weatherspark.com/
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:11 AM   #25

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: NONE
Vessel Model: NONE
I have one, sorry no picture but it can be barely seen on the mast in my avatar. All the sensors are wireless and has all the features of high end advanced units but instead of having a dedicated monitor it simply outputs to your television, laptop, or any video screen you like. Because they have eliminated the need for the most expensive part, the monitor, it was cheap. Under $200. My only complaint is the transmitter up on the mast eats batteries and although it can be powered by an AC adapter there is no feasible way in my case to connect one. Often while watching television at night I'll click on my weather channel to see whats going on outside but other than that I rarely use it.
Capt Kangeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:36 AM   #26
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta_JimS View Post
Thanks George,

I will go back and check on LaCrosse. The reviews I saw for Acurite and Davis were not flattering; especially the support.
???? I have Acurite Weather stations in my California home, my Sedona residence, on my old boat and my buddy has one on his sail boat. So far no problems.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:05 PM   #27

City: Pittsburg, CA
Vessel Name: NoMoBoat
Vessel Model: Trawlers
Codger,

Which Acurite models do you prefer? I was looking at the Wireless ones with PC connection, but reviews were poor on the wireless and firmware issues.

Thanks.
Old 06-24-2015, 03:13 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta_JimS View Post
Codger,

Which Acurite models do you prefer? I was looking at the Wireless ones with PC connection, but reviews were poor on the wireless and firmware issues.
I have had wireless black & white models (shown) for about three years but my next one will be a color model. I don't hook them up to a computer, rather I'm just interested in the barometer, temp, humidity & forecast. The batteries (remote & receiver) last about two years & the units are so portable you can place them almost anywhere. I monitor my engine room heat once in awhile when I place the remote in there. Instead of reading "outside temps" I'm reading the ER temp. The advantage of the color monitor is that it "looks great!" (Goes with our interior decor which is a priority for my wife.) Notice: I said "wife"....An "admiral" is my close friend. I always use "wife" in my posts so that I don't confuse Flywright. He, (Al) the admiral & I celebrated Al's retirement at SDYC a couple of years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	weather station.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	41381   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2015-06-24 at 12.15.01 PM.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	41382  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:52 PM   #29
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
Notice: I said "wife"....An "admiral" is my close friend. I always use "wife" in my posts so that I don't confuse Flywright. He, (Al) the admiral & I celebrated Al's retirement at SDYC a couple of years ago.
Yes, I'm easily confused!!

That was a fun and memorable evening - my last night on the road before my last flight home! Thanks again, Codger, for a great dinner and evening!!

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:15 PM   #30

City: Heading south for Ft. Myers
Vessel Name: Seven Tenths
Vessel Model: Mirage / Great Harbour 47
I have an Airmar PB200 which shows all the weather data across my N2Kview. It is great for wind direction. The wind speed does not seem to match what I see and feel. A friends boat 40 feet from mine saw wind last night 15mph faster than mine did. I have talked to Airmar about sending it back to check calibration but that will have to wait until winter.
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:37 PM   #31

City: Panama City
Vessel Name: Irish Miss
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot Rum Runner Classic
I'm not too happy with the Acurite reliability right now. I have one of these at my house. It is the second one I've bought. In each case, the outdoor sensor crapped out on me. The displays are still good, though. So, now my dilemma is: Do I buy yet another sensor for $100 and have 3 displays, or just give up on Acurite all together and throw away the 2 displays I have?

In each case, the sensors made it barely past the 1 year warranty period before dying.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	acurite.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	41391  
MrJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:51 PM   #32

City: Pittsburg, CA
Vessel Name: NoMoBoat
Vessel Model: Trawlers
That's my concern exactly with Acurite, and what the reviews generally indicated.
A great looking design if they could just get it reliable and roughly accurate.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:37 AM   #33
Guru

As previously posted...I have 3 Acurites and none have had a problem with the remote sensor. 2 live at sea level where outside temps are benign but the third one lives at 4500 ft. The temp there often sees single digits. I always mount the remote sensor on the north side of the house, under an overhang. (Protecting it from rain and snow.) On my boat the sensor is mounted in the cockpit, under the flybridge overhang.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:26 AM   #34
Guru

There is a heap of these on Ebay, incl the La Crosse. Some have a very compact sender unit,even with a solar panel, while others look like something out of Don Quixote (Tilting at Windmills), or a cactus bush, bits poking out in all directions.
How is the sender best mounted? Does it have to be above everything on a pole, or can you just attach it to a FB rail where it is not too impeded?
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 02:27 AM   #35
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
It seems tough to find a quality product under $1000 to just measure wind speed and direction.

This one has caught my eye though. Old school look, with some cool technology. It is self powered, generating it's own voltage. No power supply required for measuring wind speed.
$420 complete with 5 year warranty.

Maestro Anemometer Brass Case Silver Face - by Maximum - From Inspeed.com
Attached Images

AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:27 AM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
It seems tough to find a quality product under $1000 to just measure wind speed and direction.

This one has caught my eye though. Old school look, with some cool technology. It is self powered, generating it's own voltage. No power supply required for measuring wind speed.
$420 complete with 5 year warranty.

Maestro Anemometer Brass Case Silver Face - by Maximum - From Inspeed.com
This is getting my attention...cheaper than the $1000 units, quality over the $100 units...

But $500 (probably with shipping) for information that is only "nice to know"....still near the bottom of boat baubles...
Old 06-25-2015, 07:51 AM   #37
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Save the indoor unit and see if the new outdoor unit will drive both indoor parts.

We have a similar model here and two indoor displays. The outdoor transmitter broadcasts the data to any receiver listening, so does not care which or both display gets the info.

Also, put lithium batteries in the outdoor unit. Much longer battery life, and wider temp of operation, and best yet... won't corrode / explode and damage the unit.

Alkaline batteries will leak, regardless of brand, although some sold at BJ's and Costco, etc. are much more prone to leaking and corroding your outdoor unit.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:34 AM   #38
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
This is getting my attention...cheaper than the $1000 units, quality over the $100 units...

But $500 (probably with shipping) for information that is only "nice to know"....still near the bottom of boat baubles...

They also have another model for $209, with a 10 year warranty.
It only gives wind speed though.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SpeedDialWeb.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	41395  
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 09:11 AM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
They also have another model for $209, with a 10 year warranty.
It only gives wind speed though.
...even better...direction is easy and changes wherever you go unless open water where it is obvious anyway.

Speed indicators do satisfy that "number" curiosity.

A picture of this and a wave meter should be mandatory with every post about weather conditions...

I love seeing pics where the poster says 8 feet and 35 knots where I know better based on what several photos are clearly showing.

But sometimes it's not so clear and the "meter" would help...
Old 06-25-2015, 11:39 AM   #40
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
I have not seen an answer to Chris' question in post #13 as to how the "forecast" is derived. I would assume that the barometric pressure recorded over time and a small tumbler in the back of the unit is used. At a certain time a coin in the tumbler is flipped and the weather forecast is determined just like real weatherman do.

ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote