We need a generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We are very pleased with our 1977 Kohler 7.5 Kw gen set. She works like a charm each of the avg 2 times per day at average 45 minutes per time. I believe its electric portion was rebuilt some years before we purchased boat. Motor seems original, burns/leaks no oil and simply purrs! Avg. 3/4 gal gasoline per hr.

What I'd like to mention: There are engine re-builders/dealers in portions of U.S. that have completely refurbished gen sets of many brands and models available. Cost is way discounted compared to brand new - like 50% or more!

I've reviewed some of their web sites over the years. It would probably be pretty easy to locate them if really interested.

Good luck to anyone wanting a full sized Genny! - Art

I'm in the caribbean, so no generator=no a/c. Totally unaceptable in the tropics, you will not find anything with a cabin without a genset. I own a 8kw Onan that is extremly quiet, reliable and about 1/2 gph. 900 hrs on it just changing oil and once the raw water impeller. Runs the fridge and two a/c , one 8000 btu and another 12000 btu, water heater, stove, microwave and a 40 amp 3 bank charger

That being said, they get beaten ... 100-200 hour in a week, need to take care of them, frequent oil changes, belts, impellers, and they are EXPENSIVE, and you will get another maintenace intensive thing to take care of, not to mention about 600 lbs more on your boat
But well taken care of, onan, westerbeke, northern lights or kholer will last 5000 hours easy.
You mention that you really do not miss the genset, you aswered yourself, Honda 2kw inverter. They run for $2k, extremly reliable, very quiet and now you can get an external tanks for it. Just to install a diesel genset will run you over $12k.
Just a little comon sense and they are very safe, portable, quiet and you get a lot of power to charge, mantain banks or whatever you might need

Back
Top Bottom