Old 02-23-2014, 11:51 PM   #41

City: WA
Quote:
The four fuel tanks have a crossover connection to keep the fuel levels equal.
Yeah ... we don't have anything fancy like that. Just a line from a tank to an engine (through appropriate filters). So we can't equalize the fuel levels or divert fuel from one tank to both engines. That flexibility would be nice and now seems like a good time to do it.

Rusty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:01 AM   #42
FF
Guru

Borrow a Honda from someone . and cruise with it for a month.

Hang it off a davit , or put it in the dink astern,while air cond on the hook, no noise.

You will be surprised!

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:56 AM   #43
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Yeah ... we don't have anything fancy like that. Just a line from a tank to an engine (through appropriate filters). So we can't equalize the fuel levels or divert fuel from one tank to both engines. That flexibility would be nice and now seems like a good time to do it.
I run a 5kw, and with both hvac on the draw is about 2kw. In that mode it burns about 1gal in three hours. So I just plumbed it to one tank with no switching valves. When cruising, we only run the gennie a couple hours here and there so fuel burn and tank management is not an issue. Only time it runs continuous is anchored in cold weather and the hvac units are not super effective.

On the main engine, it can draw from either tank or both using four ball valves. If needed to transfer fuel, supply from one and return to the other (but pay attention to level!!). With twin engines, it takes more valves.
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:24 AM   #44
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
.......Folks that do not have generators do not realize the world of independance a generator brings to the table........ .
I think it depends on the size and type of boat, the general use of the boat, and the climate it's normally used in. Many folks get along just fine with batteries and inverters. On a 50' boat, a genset would be expected. On one in the 30' range, it would be optional.

If you believe you need a genset, then you need a genset. If you can do most everything you want to in boating without one, that's $10K and a lot of room and maintenance saved.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:33 AM   #45
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Or less than $1000, about the size of a small duffle bag and almost zero maintenance/costs over a decade or two.

People have been using small portable generators using common sense and a few safety precautions for decades. I have read far more CO stories from other sources and installed gensets than I have about portable ones.

Installed ones are great...portable ones are a good alternative....if AC power is desired and other means are not your cup of tea....

But cost and safety aren't the major factors some would make them out to be.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:52 AM   #46
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:04 AM   #47
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
I think it depends on the size and type of boat, the general use of the boat, and the climate it's normally used in. Many folks get along just fine with batteries and inverters. On a 50' boat, a genset would be expected. On one in the 30' range, it would be optional.

If you believe you need a genset, then you need a genset. If you can do most everything you want to in boating without one, that's $10K and a lot of room and maintenance saved.
Agreed!

We ran our 28' and our 34' boats for over a decade with just a honda, which BTW was a almost necessity, but because of our climate. We run diesel heat on our boats in Alaska, and a diesel heater will drain down a moderate sized house bank overnight.

What we found, moving to a 50' boat is that a reliable quiet generator is a necessity, but our boats systems are designed around it. We don't consider a generator an extravagence, its just part of, as you indicated a normal part of this size boat.

As far as fuel managment, our boat uses the KISS system.

Each engine has a dedicated tank.

The generator and the diesel furnaces run off of the starboard tank.

We have a factory installed fuel transfer pump that runs between the port and starboard tanks to move fuel if need be.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:56 PM   #48
Guru

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Violet A
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Quote:
Thanks all for your input. We are leaning toward a 5.5k Westerbeke at this point. I've been told we are in the $12-14k range for everything. Our power needs are low and we have lots of batteries. We will also need to build a fuel distribution manifold as a previous owner "simplified" everything when the previous generator was removed. The port tank goes to the port engine, starboard tank to the starboard engine. There is nothing else there.
Just to muddy the waters, another option that hasn't been mentioned is a DC generator that would cost half of what the Westerbeke will cost. I installed one in my boat last year for about 6 grand. It has a 200 Amp alternator and I plumbed it to heat hot water so in 2 hours of run time I have almost fully charged batteries and a tank full of hot water. This all lasts me 2 days at anchor,

Aquamarine, Inc -

Before my MyTGen, I had a Honda 2000. I don't understand why people call it quiet. It is quiet if you don't have much load on it, but it my case, I had to run it at full power and it was embarrassing for me to run it in a quiet anchorage. Even the birds flew away when I started it up.

The five stages of life: Sailboats, Motorboats, Motor Homes, Nursing Home, Funeral Home.
windmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:29 PM   #49

City: WA
Well we chose to install a Westerbeke 7.6 kW generator. Gallery Marine is about halfway through the process. We'll pick the boat up next weekend. I don't know what we will do with all that power. We've never had a generator in a boat before.

http://blog.mvarchimedes.com/2014/03...-installation/
Rusty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:53 PM   #50

City: Houston
Good choice. I was going to suggest you look at a nexgen too. Westerbeke is great though.
Piratesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:16 PM   #51
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
That's a great choice!! If I were to replace my 7.5 kw Onan, that would be my first choice.

Won't take you long to appreciate having a generator, just gives you so many more options.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:26 PM   #52
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
I've had Westerbeke gens on 2 boats and have gotten excellent service from both, I would guess your going to be very happy with your choice.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:00 PM   #53

Quote:
Well we chose to install a Westerbeke 7.6 kW generator. Gallery Marine is about halfway through the process. We'll pick the boat up next weekend. I don't know what we will do with all that power. We've never had a generator in a boat before.

http://blog.mvarchimedes.com/2014/03...-installation/
You can take hot showers now when away from the dock.
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:41 PM   #54
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Kohler (I think).

Ours is 8 kW, 3-cylinder Yanmar at 1800 RPMs, quiet.. and even quieter in it's own sound shield. The soundbox doors come off to provide easy access to the service side (front) and decent access to top and both sides.

Their current ads say XX% more efficient now, and YY% smaller, yaddy yaddy yadda...

Not a recommendation, just an observation.

-Chris
Old 03-22-2014, 03:41 PM   #55
Guru

Gallery and Westerbeke, that is a good combination. But no more Westy red?
Old 03-26-2014, 08:38 AM   #56
FF
Guru

With your lack of true need for a noisemaker , my estimate is the all up cost over the next decade , buy , install, fuel ,maintain , service, will be close to $100 an hour for its operation..

A noisemaker might >add value< to a boat that can not exist with out one,, air cond on the hook all summer , but for most its just another thing to have to service.

With no real need for a noisemaker , the portable is still your best choice.

If you develop a need >build it they will come< after the small unit has given up the ghost with 2000-300hours of service , the choice for an installed unit could still be made.

Once $14K is gone ,20 noisemaker hours a year will be a long time to justify the co$t.

Resale ? only in dreams ,

PAINT sells the boat , usually decluttering and a good scrub will do more towards selling than a rusty hunk of iron in the bilge.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:54 AM   #57

To me, being able to take hot showers is good enough reason to have a generator.

One big benefit for the OP here is that his GB42 will be easier to sell when he needs to. I would never buy a big boat without one.

FF, did you ever consider that portable generators might be too ghetto for some people? And as far as cost, heck, some people spend more on a wrist watch.
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:05 AM   #58
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahal View Post
To me, being able to take hot showers is good enough reason to have a generator. One big benefit for the OP here is that his GB42 will be easier to sell when he needs to. I would never buy a big boat without one. FF, did you ever consider that portable generators might be too ghetto for some people? And as far as cost, heck, some people spend more on a wrist watch.
Exacly, I'm on the generator bandwagon. We run it where ever we go. Hot showers and AC!
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:24 AM   #59
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
With your lack of true need for a noisemaker , my estimate is the all up cost over the next decade , buy , install, fuel ,maintain , service, will be close to $100 an hour for its operation..

Resale ? only in dreams ,

PAINT sells the boat , usually decluttering and a good scrub will do more towards selling than a rusty hunk of iron in the bilge.

Yup, tax time makes me feel bad too.

A new boat toy or two is just the tonic for curing the IRS blues.

How about a new genset - done!
Old 03-30-2014, 03:15 PM   #60
Guru

City: Rodney Bay Lagoon
Vessel Name: "Dragon Lady"
Vessel Model: DeFever 41
The name Phasor often crops up when looking at generator manufacturers. I have a 6.5Kw Phasor and it seems to be quite well made. It is basically a 3-cylinder Kubota diesel driving a Newage generator. Phasor's main input seems to be marinizing the engine. After several years in production, it is surprising that neither parts diagram nor workshop manual are available - the Phasor literature stops at installation and servicing instructions. These things take on a heightened significance if you live in the Caribbean, or anywhere else somewhat off the beaten path. Not necessarily a deal-breaker, but worth keeping in mind.

If I am wrong about either the parts diagram or workshop manual, please let me know how I can get hold of one.

Shoalwaters is offline   Reply With Quote