Old 08-21-2016, 08:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Huntington NY
Vessel Model: 2003 30' Pilot II 6LPA
Waypoints

We are close to purchasing a 30 Pilot II with a Garmin 2010 WAAS. Our old rig has a Humminbird 987C with about 100 waypoints. Will there be a way for me to transfer these or do I get out a pad and pencil? Give it to me slowly as I am a bit of a dinosaur. Thanks

regards Holty
holty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:54 AM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Looked at the manual online. You can save your waypoints to a data card, but it looks to be for backup only. There was no mention of using them in a PC for planning purposes. Also, it appears to use a version of nmea 0183 for accessory connections that doesn't support waypoint transfer, only steer information for an autopilot.

Think you will be inputting them manually into your Garmin.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:02 AM   #3
Ben
Guru

City: Clayton, NC
Vessel Name: Silver Lining
Vessel Model: Heritage East 44 / Twin Perkins T6.3544
Beer helps.

Also, it's a chance to start fresh and clean out all the duplicate or unused points. I do this about every two years with my Garmin. I punch in waypoints and then no longer need them after a while. I don't have a data card.

Mine is a 740s.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:14 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by holty View Post
We are close to purchasing a 30 Pilot II with a Garmin 2010 WAAS. Our old rig has a Humminbird 987C with about 100 waypoints. Will there be a way for me to transfer these or do I get out a pad and pencil? Give it to me slowly as I am a bit of a dinosaur. Thanks

regards Holty
Holty...

You MAY be able to - check these out further...

HummingbirdPC At minimum this should let you save current waypoints and likely view & print them - not sure if it will interface w/ similar Garmin SW but it may - also not sure if this one is free the Garmion one below is a free DL

Garmin Homeport Free Download - You may need to ask Garmin tech support if this will import WPTS from other SW like HBirdPC. Even if it doesn't it should be way easier entering them into Homeport and saving to a card then importing them to the GPS unit.
I have Raymarine and try when possible to do my route planning at home or on the boat on my laptop and importing them to the Ray ChartPlotter /GPS / Display - doping it w/ display buttons is just way more work.
You will need a blank data card and an adapter/reader to fit a PC USB port - that's what I did and glad I started that way.
I've also been able to update the Raymarine software via the card & reader. And you have your Wpts backedup if you have any problem w/ GPS unit or an update clears/resets the memory - worth it to start this way.

Also see Garmin FAQ's re data transfer
Good luck - Be sure to report back what you find
Bacchus is online now   Reply With Quote