Old 02-08-2018, 03:28 PM   #1

City: Markham
Vessel Name: currently boatless
VMAX Batteries ???

I have a feeling I may be facing battery replacement soon. Have 2 x 4Ds as house and another 4D as engine start. The price for brand name 4Ds such as Lifeline and Trojan is pretty steep. Walmart sells a brand I am unfamiliar with, called VMAX - a lot less expensive.

Does anyone have any experience with, or know anything about them?

David

David Rive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:11 PM   #2
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
I have used the Large (group 31?) Walmart batteries for years with excellent results. ($100 each?) House (deep cycle) and start (Yanmar) in boat. My Diesel tractor starts below zero and in 90 degree heat. I replaced the boat batteries last year based on time. When I took them out the receipts showed 10 years. I am not generally the type of guy that uses anything but OEM stuff after 40 years in the Automotive service business. And I am definitely not a lover of Walmart but...... No complaints at all.

Cigatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:11 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easting View Post
I have used the Large (group 31?) Walmart batteries for years with excellent results. ($100 each?) House (deep cycle) and start (Yanmar) in boat. My Diesel tractor starts below zero and in 90 degree heat. I replaced the boat batteries last year based on time. When I took them out the receipts showed 10 years. I am not generally the type of guy that uses anything but OEM stuff after 40 years in the Automotive service business. And I am definitely not a lover of Walmart but...... No complaints at all.
Well damn. I just did a google search of Vmax batteries and they seem to reate very highly...at least for their AGM batteries. If you got AGM GRP31s for $100 I am gonna go buy every single one I can find!!! Anyway, I may have found my next set of batteries......when it comes time to buy. I have 4.5 years on my current set and they have shown no signs of dying anytime soon.

Edit: I just shopped the GRP31 Vmax AGM on Amazon and it is $279. Still not bad for a premium battery but a lot more than $100!
Baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:15 PM   #4
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Well damn. I just did a google search of Vmax batteries and they seem to reate very highly...at least for their AGM batteries. If you got AGM GRP31s for $100 I am gonna go buy every single one I can find!!! Anyway, I may have found my next set of batteries......when it comes time to buy. I have 4.5 years on my current set and they have shown no signs of dying anytime soon.

Edit: I just shopped the GRP31 Vmax AGM on Amazon and it is $279. Still not bad for a premium battery but a lot more than $100!
The Walmart’s are not AGM just plain old lead acid. Bit hard to beat for that price regardless.
Cigatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:12 AM   #5
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rive View Post
I have a feeling I may be facing battery replacement soon. Have 2 x 4Ds as house and another 4D as engine start. The price for brand name 4Ds such as Lifeline and Trojan is pretty steep. Walmart sells a brand I am unfamiliar with, called VMAX - a lot less expensive.

Dunno about VMAX, but...

There are lots of ways to skin a house or start bank... without using the 4D word. Lots of threads about options, if you're interested, and if your battery area allows...

-Chris
Old 02-09-2018, 11:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
There are lots of ways to skin a house or start bank... without using the 4D word. Lots of threads about options, if you're interested, and if your battery area allows...

-Chris
I agree Chris. There is a lot to be said for 6v GC batteries, for example. But I don't want to go through the hassle of changing the wiring, new battery boxes, etc.

David
Old 02-09-2018, 11:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
I just shopped the GRP31 Vmax AGM on Amazon and it is $279. Still not bad for a premium battery but a lot more than $100!
These are the ones I am looking at:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/VMAX-XTR4...ries/262119629

David
Old 02-09-2018, 11:42 AM   #8
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
I agree Chris. There is a lot to be said for 6v GC batteries, for example. But I don't want to go through the hassle of changing the wiring, new battery boxes, etc.

Yep, there is that.

-Chris
Old 02-12-2018, 06:08 PM   #9

Sure enough - the house bank is bad. I decided to stick with Deka (that's what's installed now) for the replacements - found a good price here in Ft. Myers.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:34 AM   #10

City: Washington
Quote:
These are the ones I am looking at:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/VMAX-XTR4...ries/262119629

David
Walmart.com is not the same as a Walmart store. Walmart.com is a bit like amazon.com in that they are selling things for other vendors. They are a "middleman" in this case.

aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote