Old 04-26-2012, 09:49 AM   #21
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Where are you headed??
From Charleston, SC to Jacksonville, FL and then up the St Johns river as far as Sanford. Mostly a "nature" cruise.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:04 PM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
Stay away from Furuno VHFs, they are "less than ideal". Great Radars/plotters/fishfinders, lousy radios.
Just one mans opinion!
Interestingly enough, some Furuno VHF units are simply "repackaged" Icom units. For example, Furuno sells a VHF that is virtually identical to the Icom 504 (because it is one) except for the color (Furuno's is their shade of gray) and the shape of the knobs.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:20 PM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
the problem I don't think is the NEMA...many older plotters just don't have the software (not sure if upgrades are available)..

pretty sure Standard was one of the first to install the software on their plotters...they were showing it work between their plotters and radios around 10 years ago (if I remember my boatshow timeline correctly)
I think you're right. I just got off the phone with a SH tech and the hook up between the GPS and VHF radio is entirely NEMA 0183, though the AIS uses a high speed NEMA 0183 serial bus connection that was maybe not available on earlier models.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
From Charleston, SC to Jacksonville, FL and then up the St Johns river as far as Sanford. Mostly a "nature" cruise.
Feb '13 I'm retiring and we're leaving for Maine. Hope to be cruising for 2 years except for the winter. One of our first side trips will be the St Johns south to Sanford. Claiborne Young's cruising guide to Florida's east coast has wet my appetite, especially his descriptions of the St Johns. Enjoy
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:01 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Feb '13 I'm retiring and we're leaving for Maine. Hope to be cruising for 2 years except for the winter. One of our first side trips will be the St Johns south to Sanford. Claiborne Young's cruising guide to Florida's east coast has wet my appetite, especially his descriptions of the St Johns. Enjoy
There's a lesser known book on cruising just the St Johns river. I can't tell you the name of it, it's on my boat. It has charts and lots of local knowledge.

Here it is:

http://www.bluewaterweb.com/p-814-st...ing-guide.aspx
Old 04-26-2012, 04:49 PM   #26
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
I use this site almost every day - when I wake up in the middle of the night I hit it from my iDevice to see that my boat is still in its slip and transmitting!

It's a fun site / app to get extra info on boats that you might be curious about, but just like those "maps" (not charts) that say "not for navigation purposes", it is truly intended for entertainment.
refugio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
I use this site almost every day - when I wake up in the middle of the night I hit it from my iDevice to see that my boat is still in its slip and transmitting!

It's a fun site / app to get extra info on boats that you might be curious about, but just like those "maps" (not charts) that say "not for navigation purposes", it is truly intended for entertainment.
Yep, I sat at a dock in Savannah, GA on the river and told my friends the names of the ships that were about to pass.

But if you're out in the fog or at night, you need a real time AIS receiver.

Well, you only need it if you want to know where the ships are, their proximity, and direction. And name.

One feature, I understand, is that your plotter will plot a "collision course" so you have the choice of remaining on course or changing and avoiding a collision.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:03 PM   #28
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
The Furuno radios I have been exposed to are definitely not up to to ICom standards even if they are produced by ICOM. Much the same way a Home Depot Dewalt tool is NOT the same as bought elswhere (non Big box store).
Wally World, Home Depot etc have products produced for them for a certain price point,not a certain standard.
I have been using ICOM radios for 30 plus years. In the mid 80's, ICOM came out with the M-100 to replace the VERY Reliable M-80. The 100 was a piece of junk that developed a bad rep for ICOM. It was replaced by the M126, which was a better version.
Only twice did I have Furuno radios on boats that I worked. They could not stand up to severe commercial service (both on crew boats). I wouldn't buy a Furuno radio any more than I would buy an ICOM radar. Even if the Icom radar was made by Furuno. Your mileage may vary.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #29
Scraping Paint

City: -
I don't know that all of Furuno's VHF radios are made by Icom or other manufacturers. But at least one of them is, the model that is identical to the Icom 504.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #30
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
When I upgraded electronics, I went with the Standard Horizon Matrix 2150. Moved the old Icom and rewired as an independent backup. I've never used the DSC, but (surprisingly to me) have found the AIS very useful in raising tows and other heavy commercial traffic. People just seem to respond better when you call them by name.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:26 PM   #31
Guru

City: Missourah
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'
Quote:
have found the AIS very useful in raising tows and other heavy commercial traffic. People just seem to respond better when you call them by name.
Bingo! +1

Deliveries & Yacht Services
www.captainchip.com
Anode is offline   Reply With Quote