VHF- fixed mount or hand held?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cinlamb

Our VVF radio, 21 years old, receives but we can't send out. Have to replace it. Can we get by safely with hand held radios or do we need to have a fixed mount one and thus probably a new antenna too? We are on Lake Michigan.

Depends on how you use it. DSC is an integral part of our safety plan so we have a fixed mount. Dinghy use requires (for us) a convenient and necessary means of communication with the mother ship and as a backup to the fixed mount, so we have both.

Depends on how you use it. DSC is an integral part of our safety plan so we have a fixed mount. Dinghy use requires (for us) a convenient and necessary means of communication with the mother ship and as a backup to the fixed mount, so we have both.

:thumb: A good hand held is pretty cheap. Even a good fixed mount is not that expensive.

If your antenna is working, why replace it? If it's starting to look it's age you can lightly sand and paint it.

fixed are not expensive and give much better range.

How much is your life worth?

Exactly. So depends on your type of boating. Fixed mount is difficult to get into a grab bag.... :)

As others have indicated fixed mount will give better range due to better/higher antenna and more power.

You can also get a handheld with DSC transmit capability.

We just replaced our old dead handheld with a DSC capable handheld made by uniden.

You can also hook up a handheld to a fixed high gain antenna.

Some are easier and better than others....so a possibility.

The better antenna makes the handheld much more like a fixed...but you can separate, put the rubber du KY antenna back on for flexibility.

If your antenna is anywhere near as old as the radio, I'd replace both at the same time.

Bill: If all indications are the antenna is working fine, why replace it?

Because if it's anywhere as old as the radio it could crap out the day after he installs the radio. :D

One of the common failure points is where the antenna wire leaves the antenna and goes into the side of the boat. That sits out in the sun for years and the insulation breaks down allowing water into the coax.

Last edited:
Fixed mount on the boat with a hand held for backup. Neither is expensive, so get both.

One thing not mentioned is that hand helds have limited transmit capability due to battery limitations. It would be very annoying to have your hand held battery go flat in the middle of calling for help from the coast guard.

Ideally you should have a separate battery for your critical electronics that need to keep working in an emergency. That battery should be mounted as high as possible to keep it from being submerged should the boat take on water. Fixed mount VHFs draw about 4.5 amps when transmitting at 25 watts. A grp 24 deep cycle battery should be good for 15 hours or so of transmitting at 25 watts before it goes flat..

A hand held will be battery operated you probably be tempted to turn it off at times to "save battery" you may miss some important calls. I'd say both is the best option.

A hand held will be battery operated you probably be tempted to turn it off at times to "save battery" you may miss some important calls. I'd say both is the best option.
Mine could sit in a charger on the dash....

Again..hooking up a handheld to a decent antenna is not such a great loss in ability.

Sure fixed mounts have more power and features...but for the basics....and careful thought will give you something that is still viable.

Now...my on the water experiences says the average trawler with flybridge needs at least a fixed and handheld..next step wold be a secondition good antenna wit an adapper for the handheld. Shortly followed by the second fixed mount. That is in addition to the already purchased PLB or EPIRB.

Why not both? I have a fixed mount at each helm and a single hand held I also use. I scan channels on the fixed mount to monitor 16, 22, 10, 12, 13 and 14, the last 4 are lock, helper boat and bridge channels this helps along with AIS in knowing where the tows are and if they are locking. I keep the handheld on 68 for communication with other boats while traveling.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

I got 2 fixed mounts, a handheld, and a SSB.

Ante up. :D

A thing to ponder, when you need the range chances are It's at the time when you wont have time to hook that handheld up to the big antenna.

...and a handheld tethered to an antenna cable can be awkward to operate. It's so much easier to handle and use a small microphone on a flexible coil cord.

Can we get by safely with hand held radios or do we need to have a fixed mount one and thus probably a new antenna too? We are on Lake Michigan.

Don't know what the situation on Lake Michigan is, but where we boat a radio with a good "reach" is pretty essential. Handhelds won't do that although you can connect them to a tall antenna for at least extending the distance the radio "sees."

So for us we have two fixed-base radios on the boat, one at the lower helm and another at the upper helm even though we never drive from up there. We also have a good waterproof handheld.

The handheld is very useful when I go fishing in the dinghy, for example. I'm not going far, but it can be beneficial to be able to talk to the main boat from time to time. It's also part of our ditch bag that we would take with us if we should ever have to get off the main boat in an emergency.

We have a fixed GME(Aussie brand) with DSC, main unit at lower helm, slave unit at FB, and it provides intercom. I recently bought a Uniden handheld as backup and dinghy/shore to ship communicator, it seems to work very well.

Thanks for all the input. We have purchased a new fixed mount for upper and lower as of today. Hand held will be in near future.

Best thing about fixed mount is you know where it is at all times :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the input. We have purchased a new fixed mount for upper and lower as of today. Hand held will be in near future.

I think you'll be happy and well served with this set-up.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

"Handhelds transmit at 5 watts, fixed units at 25 watts."

However BOTH are power limited on some channels.

IF bridges or locks are part of your cruising , the hand held with an upright antenna may be far better than a huge antenna laid down.

Fixed mounts typically perform better than handhelds. Handhelds bring mobility to VHFs.

What's more important, mobility or performance? I prefer both and redundancy so I have 2 fixed mounts and one handheld for the dink or cockpit use.

Agree with Al, they are so inexpensive now, you should have both.

We assisted in a rescue two years ago where a mid 20' Whaler had capsized in building seas. The boat was equipped with a fixed VHF and a waterproof handheld. One of the occupants recovered the portable radio and issued a Mayday call. The Coast Guard heard the initial Mayday but had difficulty communicating with the portable VHF. Fishing less than a mile from the incident, we were able to talk directly to the survivor and determine their location. We responded along with another smaller boat that was fishing with us and who pulled the three occupants from the water. Without the portable radio, it might not have had a positive outcome.

That's pretty cheap insurance. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom