Vhf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigsalmonfish

I am looking for a new tender VHF. I would like one with all channel scan and haven't been able to locate one that is capable of this. I hope that maybe the group knows of one that I have missed.

I put a uniden on my center console last year. $100.00 and excellent reviews on Amazon for being waterproof. It sits out in the weather and gets sprayed when I wash the boat.
Uniden UM380BK Class D Full - Feature Fixed Mount VHF Marine Radio, Black
Uniden UM380BK Class D Full - Feature...
Ordered on May 6, 2018

Last edited:
Handheld or fixed mount?

Most e ery standard horizon and icom I ever used had full scan capability....even my handheld icom.

But I meant what did the OP want.

I have newer Uniden and standard units on the main boat. They do not have full channel scan. Only the ability to query channels you preset. I've come to enjoy the ability to scan all channels when out exploring, fishing, etc. thanks all. Will keep researching.

I have newer Uniden and standard units on the main boat. They do not have full channel scan. Only the ability to query channels you preset. I've come to enjoy the ability to scan all channels when out exploring, fishing, etc. thanks all. Will keep researching.

All I have seen will scan channels that you have "tagged". If you want to scan all channels, just tag them all. I think in most cases there are a bunch of channels worth skipping over, and it speeds up the scan and increases you chances of actually detecting an active channel rather than sampling inactive ones. In other words, the shorter the scan list the more likely the scan will be effective. So the tagged scanning might actually serve your needs better, and it's in every VHF I've ever owned.

We have a Standard 2150 & an Icom 304 on the bridge and I have no complaints on either other than the Standard menu is a little clumsy when it comes to accessing the hailer/foghorn menu. Both have large channel displays which I do like. We have a Uniden 415 at the lower station & it serves the purpose because it's the radio we use the least and that's a good thing because I'm not crazy about how the channel display gets small when switching frequencies. To me, it's hard to read & find the channel when scrolling. That's my only complaint with that model Uniden. They all require that the channel scan channels be put into a scan memory but it's a one time setup & not that big of an issue to me.

Last edited:
We have a Standard Horizon HX210 floating handheld that we use in our dingy. One weekend I absent-mindedly left it in the dingy, turned on. We didn't return to the boat for two weeks and after a very heavy rainstorm. I found the radio floating in the bottom of the dingy. "Waterproof" sure, but two weeks? And it has a water activated strobe light so the battery had to be dead dead. Thought it was permanently dead for sure. Dried it off, recharged it, turned it on - works great. (Has channel scanning, and FM too just for kicks.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom