Old 04-03-2012, 12:00 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Our boat is on a mooring in a small harbor in a semi rural area where everyone knows everyone else. I have never heard of anything ever being stolen off of any boats in the harbor. We leave the boat unlocked and the aft door is usually always left open for ventilation when we aren't on board. Dinghys are left on floats and they, and their motors, are also not secured with locks. If we traveled somewhere where we might leave the boat in a marina in a more urban environment, we'd have to find the keys to lock up. I have no idea where those keys are.

We also leave the key in the ignition in case the boat had to be moved in some emergency by one of the liveaboards nearby who always keep their eyes on things around the harbor.

dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #22
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Girl View Post

Where we are taking our boat Friday, we were warned to always park in the parking lot and not along the road as the tweakers only break into the cars along the road.
Jennifer, do you take your car with the boat?

Old 04-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Jennifer, do you take your car with the boat?
No we leave it in the parking lot.
www.pineapple-girl.blogspot.com
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:17 PM   #24
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I don't know why, but our local police have a "Lock it or Lose it" program going on with signs, etc.

My neighbor leaves his garage door open when he is away at work. One time his wife came home and found a strange man in the garage.

He still leaves it open.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:44 PM   #25
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Wow! We had one of those carbon animal units, which we loved to death, but if a person pet/love her she would help carry some of the stuff. We were more concerned they might take her than any of the stuff on the boat.

We do not lock the boat and/or vehicles because the damage they would do is probable more than the stuff they might take and/or the deductible. On the insurance policy I have a highest deductible I can afford to pay out of pocket.

On lake Union our dock was also a broker dock, so many time we would have strangers on our boat. We met the most interesting nicest people that way.

Live aboards and dirt people in many ways do not think a like.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:20 PM   #26
Guru

Concerning Vessel security I've got a couple of things. First I've got a high water switch in the bilge connected to a Siren and Strobe. Presumably if I'm underway and I'm starting to sink the siren will alert me to go down and take a look.
I've also connected a panic switch in parallel so that if an intruder attempts to board while we're on board, he'll get an ear full.

Of course if this fails we've always got Rosie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rosie to upload.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	10772   Click image for larger version

Name:	Alarm System.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	10773  
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:49 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Here in Aus, I'm pretty sure if the boat is not locked, and things are stolen, then the insurance is void. I would not expect US insurance co's to be any more generous, so some of the advice above could be suspect if it came to a crunch. I think the secret could be to have locks that are strong enough to deter pilferers, but which professionals could cut/break with relative ease and not do too much damage, but leave enough evidence for it to be clear it was a forced entry. Actually, your locked gates, (in our case needing coded card to get in and out), on the fingers of the marina itself, and security personel being about is still your best protection.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #28
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
I gave the head dock guy a 5th of burbon, and took him out shrimping.
He can see my boat from the harbor office.
Also you have to leave my harbor via a tunnel that only opens on the hour. plus we have a strong police department in town.
Cruise ships dock here so tax money pays for a over the top cop shop.
SD
Old 04-04-2012, 07:07 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Here in Aus, I'm pretty sure if the boat is not locked, and things are stolen, then the insurance is void. I would not expect US insurance co's to be any more generous, so some of the advice above could be suspect if it came to a crunch. I think the secret could be to have locks that are strong enough to deter pilferers, but which professionals could cut/break with relative ease and not do too much damage, but leave enough evidence for it to be clear it was a forced entry. Actually, your locked gates, (in our case needing coded card to get in and out), on the fingers of the marina itself, and security personel being about is still your best protection.
Yes, I think you would have a hard time claiming something was stolen when you made no effort to secure it.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:38 AM   #30
FF
Guru

AN old but cheap idea is a stencil , the boats name on equipment from oars, life vests to radar reduces its value for resale.

FF
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:35 AM   #31
Veteran Member

City: Bridgewater, NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperdude View Post
I gave the head dock guy a 5th of burbon, and took him out shrimping.
He can see my boat from the harbor office.
Also you have to leave my harbor via a tunnel that only opens on the hour. plus we have a strong police department in town.
Cruise ships dock here so tax money pays for a over the top cop shop.
SD
SD,

I've never heard of that, about tunnels. Why is it only open on the hour, what happens the rest of the time? Admittedly, My tunnel experience is mostly limited to the Lincoln and Holland, going from NJ to New York City, as well as the Harbor Tunnels in Baltimore and the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay.

ScarletBison

Trawler Dreamer
scarletbison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:11 PM   #32
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Yes, I think you would have a hard time claiming something was stolen when you made no effort to secure it.
Insurance Companies’ policies “theft clause” cover property theft; not how good your door lock is or is not, nor if you lock or even close your door – or not (unless there is a “secured-property” clause in the fine print).

Legal property ownership is your right and theft of your property is theft – period... pretty much no matter how the property theft is accomplished... as long as you didn’t do something like leave your diamond ring sitting atop a fire hydrant for days on end to let passers bye marvel at it! LOL

So, it goes to stand... As a thief enters or reaches into your container that is locked, not locked, or even wide open (home, garage, car, dock-box, boat, motor home...), and steals some of your property the thief can then be arrested for stealing and your property returned to you with legal prosecution against the thief (if apprehended). Therefore, if your insurance policy has a theft clause and you innocently left your owned property (let’s use a nearly brand new 20 HP Johnson outboard motor for example – this happened to me!) on the dock, on the transom of your runabout, in the bed of your truck, or maybe on your front yard with no lock device attached and a thief steels it then your insurance company will (should – and did for my 20 hp Johnson) pay for it as long as it was covered on the policy. With the ins $$$ for the stolen new-Johnson I purchased a real nice gently used 40 hp Johnson and had some $$$ to spare!

Therefore... if a thief enters your boat, by breaking the window or otherwise inappropriately gaining access by opening a door (or even walking into a door left open while you went to get something) and said thief steals property covered on your policy then the insurance company is obligated to cover your loss of property (unless otherwise stated in the policy fine print).

In a locked gate marina dock with a flashing light night time security truck, on our boat we keep all entries locked except the main entry slider door which we keep tightly closed and “looking” like it is “probably” locked, as well as having the guard rail firmly strap-secured in front of it. If a theft is attempted, we hope the thief will try to slide it first before smashing the window or using pry bar to jimmy the door open. This should save us repair hassle and the insurance company repair money... because, if a thief wants to get in – They surely will one way or another!

We also keep all windows obscured with blinds so no enticing items are visible from outside.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #33
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletbison View Post
SD,

I've never heard of that, about tunnels. Why is it only open on the hour, what happens the rest of the time? Admittedly, My tunnel experience is mostly limited to the Lincoln and Holland, going from NJ to New York City, as well as the Harbor Tunnels in Baltimore and the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay.

ScarletBison

Trawler Dreamer
The tunnel to Whittier is a tunnel used by the Alaska Railroad and the public. It is one way. You have to drive on the train tracks. It is open for 15 min on the 1/2 hour going into Whittier and open 15 min on the hour going out of Whittier.

It is a toll road but you only have to pay going in as there is no other way out of whittier.
So you are kind of trapped once you get there.

You can leave by boat but not many people have a boat big enough to take your car. Just the State ferry.
It is pretty unique. It is the only community in the country with only one way in and out.
You can't get here from there.

SD
Old 04-06-2012, 09:50 AM   #34
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
different strokes for different folks:

On my brother's float, he locks everything, all the time. When I tie up there, I lock nothing, ever.

We get the same result.
koliver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #35
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
I have high deductable so there is not reason for an insurance claim, and I prefer to buy used rather than newas I ma cheap.

Another determent is our windows are dark and 6 ft off the dock so people can not look/see in, stern and pilot house a canvas enclosed, we always leave lights music/tv on so it looks like someone is on the boat and/or going to be back soon. OK the real reason I ma afraid of the dark, so at least when I come home its not so scarey.

The docks we been moored at are locked, have security guards, other live aboard and most marina personal know the Eagle and me. The Eagle is one of a kind so when we do leave the dock people notice, and when people meet me they usually do not forget. So the best is to get to know the marina personal, other boaters, and ask other boaters to keep an eye on your boat. If we do leave for long periods of time we let the other live a boards and marina security know. In 16 years we have had nothing stolen taken, knock on wook.

Now went we start crusing that probable will change?
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:34 AM   #36
FF
Guru

Use stickey note on the door.

Honey , we were broken into I'm up talking to the cops in the parking lot.

Sam, that damn big snake got out again , I'm going home till its back in the cage!

Or simply have a sign created

SILENT KILL Guard dogs for sale.

Of course our carib bum boys technique could be used in a dock , of you have enough SS or handrails.

A 12V - 20 mile cattle fence shocking unit.

FF
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:06 AM   #37
Guru

Regardless of the comments made by the insurance experts here, I believe it's irresponsible at best, to fail to take reasonable steps to protect your property and then expect an insurance company to replace that property when it is stolen. This is what causes rates to rise.

By "reasonable efforts" I mean locking the doors and windows and keeping valuables out of sight. You don't need a full time guard dog, booby traps, etc.

Locking your stuff won't make it safe from professional thieves, but it will deter the casual thief who will look for an easier target.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Locking your stuff won't make it safe from professional thieves, but it will deter the casual thief who will look for an easier target.
That certainly is true and probably the best approach. But a case can be made for the damage a thief could make breaking into a boat. In my case if they broke the companion way plexiglass sliding door, nothing they could steal would come close in value to the cost of replacing that door.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
That certainly is true and probably the best approach. But a case can be made for the damage a thief could make breaking into a boat. In my case if they broke the companion way plexiglass sliding door, nothing they could steal would come close in value to the cost of replacing that door.
That's what insurance is for.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:11 PM   #40
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Regardless of the comments made by the insurance experts here, I believe it's irresponsible at best, to fail to take reasonable steps to protect your property and then expect an insurance company to replace that property when it is stolen. This is what causes rates to rise.

By "reasonable efforts" I mean locking the doors and windows and keeping valuables out of sight. You don't need a full time guard dog, booby traps, etc.

“Casual” Thieves do not inappropriately board boats! There is nothing casual about a thief that boards your boat with intent to steal your goods. They are “Determined” Thieves... plain and simple... fully ready and equipped to create havoc on your property (like break a window, kick open a hatch, or pry open a door) to gain access. "Determined" Thieves usually have plenty of experience for mechanically enabling their breaking and entering. And, it they're newly Determined... they quickly figure a way to break in if your door is locked.

It’s law breaking thieves that raise insurance rates, not innocent law abiding boat owners who are trying to limit material damage done to their boat – By “Determined” Thieves!

Some cultures cut a thief’s hand off... now I believe that would soon reduce the number of repeat “Determined” Thieves in the U.S... and therefore lower insurance rates... in relatively short order!

Art is offline   Reply With Quote