Vessel Management System Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptRon

Vessel Name
Rhapsody
Vessel Make
Hidden Harbor/ Custom One Off Long Range
Early versions of Nobeltec included a "Vessel Management System (VMS)". This customized database system provides a super maintenance tracking system and project management capabilities plus other "boat keeping" sections.

Nobeltec long ago dropped the package. I continue to use the product on Rhapsody, but I suspect that one day Windows upgrades will leave this software behind.

Does anyone know of a similar system that will work with Windows 7 or Mac OS Maverick?

Regards
Ron

Cap't Ron-We use Vessel Vanguard. A bit on the costly side, about $600 for them to set up and about $180/year. But it has all owner's manuals for everything on the boat, all manufacturers maintenance info and schedules, log and a bunch of other stuff. The system keeps track of it all and lts you know when and what maintenance needs to be done. We are pretty happy with it. I may be mistaken, but I think there is a BoatUS discount available.

Or, you can build your own. Easy enough to do with Excel. This approach allows/forces the owner the satisfaction of getting to know his boat.

If you buy a already set up program, be sure it has open software so one can add mundane items to it, such as zincs for the stabilizer cooler, after cooler maintenance or windlass servicing. If for every new line item or wording change you have to go back to the creator it is a real pain. The best small yacht operating/maintenance program I've seen is that used by the NW Exploration charter group out of Bellingham. Tailor made for each vessel by consummate pros.

Two years ago I was looking at a 3 year old vessel that had a very nice maintenance program. The vessel became totally immobile after its first year due to bad fuel (Mexico) and the owner's thinking that a "top notch" fuel polishing system and day tank would take care of any bad fuel issue. So some common sense above a maintenance program for your vessel's reliability is required.

sunchaser,

Thanks for ideas on replacement for VMS.

Regards,
CaptnRon

Or, you can build your own. Easy enough to do with Excel. This approach allows/forces the owner the satisfaction of getting to know his boat..........

Excel is a spreadsheet, not a database. While it's fine for listing parts or maintenance tasks, it can't really be set up as a "management system".

A true (relational) database could be set up to remind one of tasks to be performed and keep a history of when these tasks were performed. You could add the cost of items or services, suppliers, etc. MS Access is one program that will do this.

If you're not experienced with the software and concept of relational databases and don't want to learn, a commercial program is probably better for a single boat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom