Old 11-13-2017, 08:23 AM   #22
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
https://iportproducts.com/launchport/

stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:35 AM   #23

City: PNW
Vessel Model: American Tug 435
airstream; love that flush mount, its about the only way i would want an ipad at the helm... but obviously this is a personal choice and depends on your tolerance for bolted/scabbed on or loose equipment at the helm.....
Hamrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:43 AM   #24
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
I'm not sure I would 'flush mount' an ipad. It seems like a lot of intrusive work to your helm that you might want to change out or upgrade in a short amount of time (less than 5 years). I'd be more inclined to mount an ipad on a Ram mount that I could change out easily. https://www.rammount.com/brand/apple/ipad-mounts
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:48 PM   #25
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Having limited space a small GPS unit is perfect. I purchased a note pad and installed two free apps. Then purchased the following mount:

https://www.ebay.com/p/Desktop-Wall-...r=660880914532

This mount allows the notepad to be located front and center yet allows for slipping off to the side given the need.

Al-Ketchikan
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:44 AM   #26

City: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: Shin Shing, Eagle 35'
So I'm trying to figure out a direction to go. Furuno First Watch goes to an iPad. Navionics apparently does as well. Doesn't the gps need to have cellular to work? Like if I'm in an area with no coverage does the GPS still feed the Navionics? I hate spending money for Systems I only occasionally use but I don't want to get a system that's not reliable. A few of the manufacturers had more traditional systems with head units that then also broadcast to devices in addition to displaying on the head device. Appreciate any thoughts.
Jbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:50 AM   #27

City: North Carolina
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Vessel Model: Great Harbour N37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbear View Post
Doesn't the gps need to have cellular to work
No, but it does need to have the cellular hardware in the case of the iPad. The GPS hardware is part of the cellular hardware in the iPad, but they can operate independent of one another.

Quote:
Like if I'm in an area with no coverage does the GPS still feed the Navionics?
Yes, it will.

----

You can also use an external wired or Bluetooth GPS "puck" with a non-GPS enabled (iPad) tablet.
boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:58 AM   #28
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Quote:
So I'm trying to figure out a direction to go. Furuno First Watch goes to an iPad. Navionics apparently does as well. Doesn't the gps need to have cellular to work? Like if I'm in an area with no coverage does the GPS still feed the Navionics? I hate spending money for Systems I only occasionally use but I don't want to get a system that's not reliable. A few of the manufacturers had more traditional systems with head units that then also broadcast to devices in addition to displaying on the head device. Appreciate any thoughts.
I have Nobeltec Time Zero loaded on my cellular IPad. When using on the boat, regardless of the cellular or WiFi being turned on or off, I have excellent GPS capability. Frankly I was surprised at the level of GPS reception. Even when the IPad is down below I am getting GPS reception without the aid of cellular or WiFi. Never drops. My Garmin is collecting dust.
Cigatoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 05:58 PM   #29
Veteran Member

City: Charleston
Vessel Name: HOPE
Vessel Model: Back Cove 37
I think the iPad in conjunction with vessel system is great. I typically plot out auto route on IPad Navionics then do it manually on Garmin Blue Chart on iPad. I then sync the blue chart plot to the onboard Garmin and run both side by side. Itís interesting what inconsistencies you see between the two depending on the body of water you are on. You definitely get a better picture of what you are looking for and where. I am currently in process of trying to also link the iPad to other onboard systems as well. Seems like a nice redundancy to have. Anyway, Iím happy with it.
CapRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:19 PM   #30
GMS

City: Everett
Vessel Name: Sound Trek
Vessel Model: 2008 Meridian 490
We are currently in the process of installing the Gardian Avionics flush mount in the pilothouse of our Meridan 490. Planning to mount a 12.9 iPad in place of an old Furuno MDF, while keeping the other Furuno in place for redundancy, radar, and depth information.

Future upgrades will likely involve moving to current generation Furuno MDF, which will allow the iPad to be used for accessing MDF functions/data as well as Navionics app.

The way things seem to be moving in the marine electronics industry, and iPad seems like it will only become more and more useful as another device in the electronics array.

For the moment, I will be using a N2K to Wifi box to broadcast GPS and AIS signals from our Standard Horizon radio, which the iPad can then use to supplement internal GPS and display AIS targets. Basically, the iPad and Radio combination provide a completely separate redundant system (minus radar) to the original Furuno electronics - all for less than $2k (even after spending almost $500 mounting the iPad, which admittedly is unnecessarily high).
GMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 02:06 PM   #31
Guru

City: In transit
Vessel Name: Sea life
Vessel Model: Krogen 42 #61
I love the idea, but have found Bluetooth extremely unreliable, amd wifi sometimes unreliable. Having had to reset devices and routers etc. having gps, depth or radar transmitted this way would be worrisome for me without a hardwired backup/display.

I use an ipad, but only as a backup to my Furuno system, and the wife likes Garmin BlueChart better when she is on watch.

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sealife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:58 PM   #32

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Sea Bear
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
All,
I have a number of flush mount iPads in my home (full smart home) and the buttons are not needed, you can turn on an accessibility option that has a little moveable white dot which you can virtually access all buttons. One word of caution, after about 18 months they stopped charging and need to be unplugged and replugged in after a while, some sort of a bug or issue after being under charge for a long time.
Arthurc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:05 PM   #33
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Slightly off topic but applicable...

I used these mounts a few years ago to re-task asus tablets for shared applications in the kitchen and office. They are low cost and worked well.

https://www.amazon.com/Tablet-Dockem...let+wall+mount
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:56 PM   #34

City: Melbourne
Vessel Name: Bluechip 3
Vessel Model: Clipper 45
For those wondering a wireless only iPad running navionics takes all the required gps info from the main Simrad system provided itís hooked up to the GoFree WiFi Network. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2303.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	70449
Hickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:44 PM   #35
Guru

City: Fairport
With my phone in airplane mode, Iíve launched navionics and tracked my progress across the country at 33k feet high and 490mph.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:59 PM   #36
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver dave View Post
With my phone in airplane mode, I’ve launched navionics and tracked my progress across the country at 33k feet high and 490mph.
Same here. It was fun being the navigator.
Cigatoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 01:09 PM   #37

City: Bellmore
Fyi you can use a a non cellar iPad if use use a external gps like elfe gps or what I use is Dual Electronics iPad/Android GPS with Bluetooth - Dual XGPS150A
ronbo404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:29 PM   #38

City: Salt Spring Island
Vessel Name: Twilight
Vessel Model: Permaglass Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
I'm not sure I would 'flush mount' an ipad. It seems like a lot of intrusive work to your helm that you might want to change out or upgrade in a short amount of time (less than 5 years). I'd be more inclined to mount an ipad on a Ram mount that I could change out easily. https://www.rammount.com/brand/apple/ipad-mounts

No holes to cut, portable. Disclosure: I manufacture these, poortals.com . -Dwight