Old 04-18-2013, 04:48 AM   #1
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Use of notebook navigation apps

Greetings to the forum,
Back again with another inquiry. Recently there was a thread regarding the use of navigation apps on Ipad and android platforms. Not being the swiftest on these modern trends I threaded lightly.
I down loaded the free navigation app on to my android phone and enjoy the simplicity of the app. However as with most adventures, more was desired. I wanted to read my Google sites on a larger screen via my hot spot from my cell phone and have larger navigation viewing just like the big boys.

I purchased a cheap Chinese notebook and downloaded the same fee navigation app as on the phone.
Having read the really good thread by knowledgeable posters, decided to down load the Navionics (sp?) chart offering. to make sure it was all done correctly. Purchased and had a local tech shop download it.
The program is very good as many of you have stated. The challenge is this program requires me to physically move the screen to recapture the present location of the boat Icon. I had hoped the screen would react as my primary GPS platform does.
Have I missed a step or due to this not being a professional or dedicated GPS platform, the normal situation? If so I don't mind.
Thoughts?
Al Johnson-Ketchikan(Bridge to Nowhere) Alaska

Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:16 AM   #2
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Al,

To clarify, what apps are you using?
What did you pay for the navionics charts?

How did you connect your gps to laptop and apps?

Richard

Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:57 AM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Al, if it was the Navionics app like I have you downloaded, and I imagine it was, only for Microsoft instead of Mac for iPad, then there is a way to make it into moving maps, and also track up. It took me a day to work it out as well. Even the Active Captain fellow missed it at first. It is the arrow down at bottom left of screen, strangely labeled legal, which is the key. Tap it once = moving map. Tap it again gives track up. Hope that helps. I love it on my iPad, and so I now I use it up top for nav, instead of worrying about a mounted GPS suffering from the elements. It is also a good back up to my main helm GPS, and something one can play around with at anchor, planning the next leg and anchorage etc.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:32 AM   #4

City: St James City, Fl
Vessel Name: Sweet Pea
Vessel Model: Nimble Nomad 25' Trawler
I have the Navionics HD app on both of my android tablets, but have not used it for any active navigating on my boat. I did use my smaller tablet once on a friends boat to get into an area on Upper Captiva Island and the depth charts were spot on.
We will be with friends on their boat in the Bahamas this summer and it will be interesting to see how well it works there.
You just need to download the charts of the area you will be boating in and the detailed charts will appear.
Nimble1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:09 PM   #5
Al
Guru

Richard- Peter B has the same program. It is what it is called "Navionics Charts" You can purchase from the app store somewhere on your Ipad or android. I purchased for $15.00 which allowed me to download on both my phone and notebook. Both the notebook and the phone have GPS capability.
Peter B. Thanks! I do not recognize the "Legal" point but will check it out later today or tomorrow when back to the boat. Sounds like the answer. Just to confirm, the "legal" is on the app, correct? not part of your notebook or phone process.
To clarify to Richard, you can download "Free" marine charts and the program is very good. Equal to Navionics for basic navigation.
Al-
Old 04-19-2013, 05:51 AM   #6
TF Site Team

The Legal sign and arrow is part of the app, Al, and found just to the left of the track, menu, route buttons, at the bottom of the map. It is on my app anyway. The legal word is quite faint, but the arrow, pointing slightly to right of vertical initially, is very obvious. Once you click on the arrow, it lights up and turns light blue, a second tap makes it swivel round to head up, and something like a headlight beam shines in a forward direction from the tip of the arrow. I had to download Africa and Asia map version to get Aussie coast as well. Was not that expensive. $A40 odd I think.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #7
Al
Guru

Thanks Peter B. I will be on the boat later and will fire up the computer. Great to have a possible solution from so far away. Congratulations on An Aussie winning the Masters. Great pride of Country.
AMJ
Old 04-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #8
TF Site Team

Yes, a Masters finally was good.
Keen to hear back if you found your Navionics is as I have described Al.

Pete