Old 12-06-2015, 01:04 PM   #1
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Unpleasant surprise

Stopped the boat after Thanksgiving weekend and no lights. Checked my battery monitor and only 1 red light. Checked the inverter and monitor states absorb charging no amperage. So I kicked on my backup 50amp Lamarche charger and the monitor shows positive 35amps. Magnum inverter still shows absorb charging no amperage. I check the inverter output and no current. So I kick the breaker off to the inverter and back on. Inverter monitor goes through, dead battery, bulk charging no amperage to absorb charging no amperage. What next, down in the engine room to turn the battery switch on an off to the inverter and check out put breakers. The Guest battery switch is stiff and possibly welded internally, after substantial force I get the knob to turn but I think the shaft may have broken in the switch. The breakers are not tripped. After three days of charging with the Lamarche 50 amp charger and the battery monitor indicates 3 and sometimes four lights. Still the inverter indicates absorb charging no amperage. Down in the engine room with a hydrometer, all four 8d house batteries show very low readings, basicly all have failed. The battery boxes and the tops of the batteries have water on them and in the bottom of the boxes. We apparently had a power failure during the 24 deg cold snap that lasted six hours or so. As a side note the two 8D start batteries that were installed at the the same time check out fine with the hydrometer and were able to start both engines in the cold weather with no problem. They are not ghost charged with the house bank. Is it likely that the Magnum inverter went crazy after the power outage and cooked the house bank. All the batteries are five years old and the same brand. All the cables were replaced and still in excellent condition. The Magnum inverter is capable of 125 amps during bulk charging. Any Ideas ?
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 01:35 PM   #2
Guru

City: gulf coast
was any cell dry?

Unlikely the batts froze, down in the ER near the water was probably warmer than air temp..

Most likely one failure drained all batts dead if they are in parallel.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 05:46 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
If the inverter was on when a shore side power failed and there was a load then placed on the inverter which drew the batteries down. This is why I always turn the inverter off when on shore power. I suggest if shore power in back on that you move the battery switch to "all" to permit the start batteries to bring up the house batteries and the charger add to the charge. If this works then you can move the battery switch back to where you usually keep it. The Inverter you have has an optional control panel and if you do not have it I suggest you install one.
Old deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 06:40 PM   #4
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Sounds like a bad cell in the bank. You can set the inverter to cut off at any selected voltage, no need to turn it off, especially if it is powering something like a refridgerator.
Something like an ACR is a better idea than using a battery switch IMO, though typically for charging a start bank from an inverter bank or alternator.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:18 PM   #5
Guru

I have the remote control panel, It refuses to turn the charger on or off. The inverter switch seems to work indicates that the inverter section is on, just no power. After three days of charging with my back up 50 amp charger, three of the four 8d's show failed specific gravity tests. The fourth 8d is marginal on a couple of cells and fails on the others. The battery switch to the inverter may have failed as well. it looks to me as though something caused all of the batteries to fail at once and possibly the switch. When I left nothing was on except the refer and engine room lights. The refer seems to have stayed cold. The refer runs on the inverter or shore power. It will normally run for several days on the inverter and battery bank. All of the dc systems seem to be working on the battery charger and whats left of the battery bank.I'm going to take the battery switch apart and check it out next and call Magnum to see if it's possible to run tests on the inverter.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:30 PM   #6
Guru

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
Oh my, it does sound like a bigger problem then just inverter pulling the batteries down. Best wishes on the fix.
Old deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:51 AM   #7
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Magnum is usually quick to respond, this is a good test. BTW, do I understand correctly that 8Ds are the house bank? Are they optimum for a house bank?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:02 AM   #8
Guru

City: gulf coast
Are they in parallel????
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 08:47 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Steve, ceck and make sure that the switch between the batteries and the inverter/charger is not open or have a very high resistance.

The reason I say that is because without a battery bank connected to the inverter it coud do many of the things you derscribed.

Your house batteries might be toast. Hygromoters are pretty good, but I'd actually try them out under load berfore I got inclined to bulk replace them.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 03:56 PM   #10
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
I have a 2000W Magnum Inverter/Charger with the remote control. Recently, after installing our new carbon foam Oasis batteries the remote said it was bulk charging, but no amps were being sent to the batts. Couldn't quite figure it out until I remembered that I had remotely put the charger on "stand by" before turning the unit off. Taking it out of stand by mode on the remote panel, it started bulk charging like normal...
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:50 AM   #11
Guru

I have a napa load tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Steve, ceck and make sure that the switch between the batteries and the inverter/charger is not open or have a very high resistance.

The reason I say that is because without a battery bank connected to the inverter it coud do many of the things you derscribed.

Your house batteries might be toast. Hygromoters are pretty good, but I'd actually try them out under load berfore I got inclined to bulk replace them.
One of the first checks will be the battery switch, It feels broken when I turn it. No detent or resistance. it felt as though I broke it when I operated it checking turning battery power off to the magnum. Do you think my Napa battery load tester will handle an 8D battery?
Old 12-08-2015, 10:59 AM   #12
Guru

I'll check this option out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonfish View Post
I have a 2000W Magnum Inverter/Charger with the remote control. Recently, after installing our new carbon foam Oasis batteries the remote said it was bulk charging, but no amps were being sent to the batts. Couldn't quite figure it out until I remembered that I had remotely put the charger on "stand by" before turning the unit off. Taking it out of stand by mode on the remote panel, it started bulk charging like normal...
. I've been busy working on every one else's stuff lately that I haven't been able to jump on this, maybe tomorrow. I can't seem to control the charger as to off or on with remote control panel, Is this what you mean by standby or is there something more?. The Magnum is so intuitive and reliable I haven't had to learn all of the features.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:27 PM   #13
chc

City: PA
Vessel Name: Scooter
Vessel Model: 1984 Californian 34 LRC
I have 8D's; AGM type in my boat. NAPA load tester worked fine.
chc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 02:14 PM   #14
Guru

Thanks I'll follow up solution
If I find out what happened
Old 02-01-2016, 12:28 AM   #15
Guru

The problem maybe solved

The guest 2102 battery switch between the inverter and battery bank was melted. After replacing the switch with a Blue Seas 3001 heavy duty switch the inverter seems to be working as well as the battery charging portion. I'm not sure as to why the Guest battery switch would fail. Possibly corrosion although the terminals appear fine. I had the inverter installed 6 years ago when I bought the boat. Replaced the original inverter which failed soon after I bought the boat. This switch was probably installed with the old inverter.

When the boat was built, thermal protection was not required within the first three ft of the the positive cable from the battery bank to the switch. Not required on the starting bank now. After looking at this switch I'm lucky to have a boat. Thermal protection on the house bank is my next project. My battery bank consists of 4 8D wet cells and the inverter is a 2000 watt, 125 amp Magnum. It's been a couple of months at the dock with my old LaMarche 50 amp charger maintaining the battery bank after the switch failed. My battery monitor indicates the battery condition to be normal, tomorrow I'll check with a hydrometer tomorrow. Maybe I dodged the bullet all around.
Attached Thumbnails
Battery switch.jpg  
Old 02-01-2016, 06:57 AM   #16
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Guest 2102 - Continuous Amps: 230 Momentary Amps: 345

Should have handled the inverter even on max but pretty close...any other loads through the switch? Any signs of corrosion? (but the real question is what did the switch look like inside the housing?)

Maybe just a bad switch...over the years the Guest bottom line switches haven't given me a lot of confidence for as many bad ones I have replaced.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:07 AM   #17
Guru

No other loads

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Guest 2102 - Continuous Amps: 230 Momentary Amps: 345

Should have handled the inverter even on max but pretty close...any other loads through the switch? Any signs of corrosion? (but the real question is what did the switch look like inside the housing?)

Maybe just a bad switch...over the years the Guest bottom line switches haven't given me a lot of confidence for as many bad ones I have replaced.
Your not the first one to say this. I'm going to open it up this morning and see. The switch is probably 15 years old.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:10 AM   #18
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
That is "scary".

High resistance in a device can cause overheat/fire even if amp draw is within spec. A condition like that is hard to protect against. A fuse would not help.

I set up my rig with all Blue Seas batt switches. My gut feel is that the quality is good, but really don't have anything to back that up.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:05 PM   #19
Guru

Had to break it apart

The contacts are clean but the housing got hot enough to allow one of the posts and contacts to actually melt through the housing and move sideways 3/4 of an inch. Hard to tell what could have caused this. At this point I'm going to go back and see if something could have shorted out , something on one side of the switch or the other must have drawn a lot of current. There has to be a certain level of safety built into these switches. This wasn't just a couple of amps over the rating. I don't think the inverter has the ability to produce that much energy to melt the switch, No big smoke coming out of the inverter either. I'll have to see what Magnum says.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:54 PM   #20
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary View Post
The contacts are clean but the housing got hot enough to allow one of the posts and contacts to actually melt through the housing and move sideways 3/4 of an inch. Hard to tell what could have caused this. At this point I'm going to go back and see if something could have shorted out , something on one side of the switch or the other must have drawn a lot of current.
Scary...
See Steven Cyr's write up on batt'y sw problems - any chance this was a loose - hi res connection causing hi amp draw?
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote