Old 11-24-2013, 07:36 PM   #1

City: Foley, Alabama
Vessel Name: GITANA
Vessel Model: Sea Ranger 47 Pilothouse
Alternator Output Connection?

I have twin FL 120's. In a typical installation, where are the alternators charging outputs connected? I assume the alternators are connected to the starting bank in some fashion. What I do not know is how, or where the connections are made in a "typical" installation.
Captain K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain K View Post
I have twin FL 120's. In a typical installation, where are the alternators charging outputs connected? I assume the alternators are connected to the starting bank in some fashion. What I do not know is how, or where the connections are made in a "typical" installation.
It's according to what your two alternators are set to charge. If one is dedicated to the house bank, it should connect there. If one is dedicated to the starting bank it may connect near the starter, or they both could connect that way. If they both connect that way you may have a battery combiner to share the charge. My two alternators are dedicated to different banks.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:24 PM   #3

City: Maine
Typical Battery Isolator Circuits - ARCO
Maybe this will help.
Anthonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:00 PM   #4
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
It's not that simple...depends on who installed the engine.

My engine was installed by a typical engine knucklehead that sends the charge back through a tiny 10 gauge wire (maybe smaller) to the buss bars where it is split to include the starting circuit as well as feed the 1/2/both switch for charging purposes.

Bad design and I'm trying to rewire it to a dedicated start batt now but having trouble getting rid of a surge in the charge circuit that causes y gauges to oscillate.

Anything is possible and many engine harness installs really disappoint me with the electrical side of things.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:46 PM   #5

City: Foley, Alabama
Vessel Name: GITANA
Vessel Model: Sea Ranger 47 Pilothouse
Gentlemen, you have renewed my faith in me. Thinking my question too stupid to publish, I was at first reluctant to do so. But it is apparent it was not. Thanks to Anthonyd for the link. That does indeed help. Might need to get one of those isolator thingies...and do some wire tracing on my boat.
Captain K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:02 PM   #6
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
If the engine were installed just like it was shipped from the factory (and as others have noted, this doesn't usually happen) then the alternator output is wired to the heavy lug on the starter. From there it is wired with 2/0 or so wire to the starting battery.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:16 PM   #7

City: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Selah
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 40
A common method from that era was to connect each alternator output to an amp gauge at the helm station, then back to the starter lug. #10 wire was often used which resulted in a significant voltage drop -- the alternator might be putting out 14.6 V but the battery is only seeing 13.8 V, which makes for low charging amps and long charging times. Effectively, the alternator thinks the battery is fully charged but the battery is really only about 70% charge.

In twin-engine installations 2 battery switches of the "off-1-both-2" variety were used so either battery could start either engine, or either engine could charge either or both batteries.

Some of the Taiwan Trawlers with Lehmans had a variation on this. Both starters were connected to a common terminal, and 2 "off-on" battery switches were used to connect either or both batteries to the starters. The house distribution panel was connected to an "off-1-both-2" switch so either or both battery banks could be used to provide power for the lights, refrigerator, etc.

Now a common method has one engine equipped with a high-output alternator connected directly to a large battery bank for the house loads, and the other engine has the original alternator charging a starting battery that provides power for starting either engine. An "off-on" battery switch can be used to connect the two battery banks if needed, to either use the house bank to start or use the other alternator to charge the house bank.

Connecting the alternators directly to the battery, battery buss, or starter lug with a #4 or #6 cable will significantly improve charging capability. This bypasses the amp gauge at the helm station, but that gauge can be replaced with a voltmeter.

A fuse at the battery buss connection is a good idea to protect against a short circuit.
av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:28 AM   #8
FF
Guru

>Bad design and I'm trying to rewire it to a dedicated start batt now but having trouble getting rid of a surge in the charge circuit that causes y gauges to oscillate.<

Use a field cut off or wire it to an oil pressure sensing relay during engine start..

A surge can also come from a slow Bendex release , as the starter is spun by the engine.

>A fuse at the battery buss connection is a good idea to protect against a short circuit. <<<
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:41 AM   #9
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
>Bad design and I'm trying to rewire it to a dedicated start batt now but having trouble getting rid of a surge in the charge circuit that causes y gauges to oscillate.<

Use a field cut off or wire it to an oil pressure sensing relay during engine start..

A surge can also come from a slow Bendex release , as the starter is spun by the engine.

>A fuse at the battery buss connection is a good idea to protect against a short circuit. <<<
Alternator uses a pressure switch...

Starter as just rebuilt...

Web reading/suggestions seem to think I need some sort of load on the battery as often the gauges don't oscillate for a minute or so then start...as if when the voltage stabilizes after start...also doesn't do it if I have start and house banks tied together.

sorry to steal away from the thread...this is driving me nuts.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:24 AM   #10
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8r View Post
a common method from that era was to connect each alternator output to an amp gauge at the helm station, then back to the starter lug. #10 wire was often used which resulted in a significant voltage drop -- the alternator might be putting out 14.6 v but the battery is only seeing 13.8 v, which makes for low charging amps and long charging times. Effectively, the alternator thinks the battery is fully charged but the battery is really only about 70% charge.

In twin-engine installations 2 battery switches of the "off-1-both-2" variety were used so either battery could start either engine, or either engine could charge either or both batteries.

Some of the taiwan trawlers with lehmans had a variation on this. Both starters were connected to a common terminal, and 2 "off-on" battery switches were used to connect either or both batteries to the starters. The house distribution panel was connected to an "off-1-both-2" switch so either or both battery banks could be used to provide power for the lights, refrigerator, etc.

Now a common method has one engine equipped with a high-output alternator connected directly to a large battery bank for the house loads, and the other engine has the original alternator charging a starting battery that provides power for starting either engine. An "off-on" battery switch can be used to connect the two battery banks if needed, to either use the house bank to start or use the other alternator to charge the house bank.

Connecting the alternators directly to the battery, battery buss, or starter lug with a #4 or #6 cable will significantly improve charging capability. This bypasses the amp gauge at the helm station, but that gauge can be replaced with a voltmeter.

A fuse at the battery buss connection is a good idea to protect against a short circuit.
very informative!!