Old 11-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #21
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
My swim platform is about 8-10" above the water I'd like to attach a couple of lights on the underside of it and run the wire up a couple of feet and trough a small hole on the transom. Anybody tried this?

Old 11-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #22

Vessel Name: It's A Wonderful Life
Vessel Model: Navigator 5600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
My swim platform is about 8-10" above the water I'd like to attach a couple of lights on the underside of it and run the wire up a couple of feet and trough a small hole on the transom. Anybody tried this?
I've read in a couple of forums that people who have done this were sometimes disappointed by the affect. There's a lot of reflection off the water and not a lot of light penetrates into the water.

OKraskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:14 PM   #23

City: Victoria BC
Vessel Name: LUCKY US
Vessel Model: American Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKraskin View Post
I've read in a couple of forums that people who have done this were sometimes disappointed by the affect. There's a lot of reflection off the water and not a lot of light penetrates into the water.
Ditto!
jukesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:08 PM   #24
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKraskin View Post
x2
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #25
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Steve, I think you'd be disappointed. A friend has a house in Punta Gorda Florida that has a dock behind it. It's common for people there to mount lights under their docks to attract fish at night. They call them Snook Lights. My friend has his mounted on the underside of his dock above the water. His neighbor has them mounted underwater. The underwater lights are much more effective at attracting fish and they are just prettier to look at.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #26
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Can we hang a set off the swim platform struts that are underwater all the time that would work before we drill holes on our hulls?
Old 11-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #27
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Some of the brighter underwater lights need to be water cooled and they don't advise operating out of the water. Something to check on for your proposed installation.

If I was interested I would check out the surface mounted lights attached with epoxy and run the wires as you described.
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:51 PM   #28
Guru

Curious???? Why are people so afraid of a couple tiny holes just barely below the waterline?

Even if one leaked some...it would probably still be less than many of our trawlers that still have conventional packing after a particularly long run.

It really needs to be put into perspective....I am talking th LED ones that surface mount and just have a tiny wire run behind them....
Old 11-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #29
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Lots of reasons. Some lights take BIG holes and some of us don't want to commit without knowing if there is any benefit at all. In a dirty river like the Neuse or the Trent, lights might be useless and plugging the holes (especially if they are 2" in diameter) if you hate the lights is more of a PITA than to rig a test system.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
Lots of reasons. Some lights take BIG holes and some of us don't want to commit without knowing if there is any benefit at all. In a dirty river like the Neuse or the Trent, lights might be useless and plugging the holes (especially if they are 2" in diameter) if you hate the lights is more of a PITA than to rig a test system.
Agreed...test wire them first and I would only buy the kind that only require a 1/4 inch hole or so.....

In the big scheme of things they are really only ego lights...and yes I do like them too....but from my experience if you really want fish attractors....buy a really good, pool light capable of 15" immersion and weight it so it sits on the bottom pointed up.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:09 PM   #31
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Tom,
Don't waste your time or money. The water is too tannic. I've turned mine on down there and it's worthless unless your out at Ocracoke or down in Beaufort. As to the holes it's a none issue. The lights we have require a 1/2' hole that is nearly full of wires. The rest is full of 5200. The lights are impressive machined anodized aluminum and they aren't going anywhere. For those who are in clear water I highly recommend the lights and the additional fun that comes from having them. With Port Supply I bought mine for $80 per and they are worth every penny and more. If you install some facing down at your wheels as we did there is yet an additional benefit.

http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote