Old 07-18-2017, 09:10 AM   #1
Guru

City: Alexandria, VA
Vessel Model: 2000 Wellcraft
Underwater lighting experiences

We are getting close to hauling our boat out and I have been thinking about the addition of some underwater lights. I admit to a little bit of jealously when we were in the Bahamas last trip and were anchored near some of the underwater light equipped boats. They appear to be great fish attractors and something fun to look at, at night at anchor.

I've kind of fixated on the Lumitec SeaBlaze 3 Underwater Lights
Lumitec Lighting » Blog Archive SeaBlaze3, the benchmark for value in underwater lighting.
as they seem to have a reasonable lumens output (1729 white) and a reasonable price (under $300) and no big hole in the hull. But, I'm still open to suggestions.

I was wondering what everyone else's experience has been with these model lights, or others that you selected instead, and what your thoughts or recommendations are based on that.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:55 AM   #2
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
We are getting close to hauling our boat out and I have been thinking about the addition of some underwater lights. I admit to a little bit of jealously when we were in the Bahamas last trip and were anchored near some of the underwater light equipped boats. They appear to be great fish attractors and something fun to look at, at night at anchor.

I've kind of fixated on the Lumitec SeaBlaze 3 Underwater Lights
Lumitec Lighting » Blog Archive SeaBlaze3, the benchmark for value in underwater lighting.
as they seem to have a reasonable lumens output (1729 white) and a reasonable price (under $300) and no big hole in the hull. But, I'm still open to suggestions.

I was wondering what everyone else's experience has been with these model lights, or others that you selected instead, and what your thoughts or recommendations are based on that.
Thanks G9 for starting this thread! Will open your link.

I'm going to follow closely, and, if I get info worth sharing will do so.

Although never before really thought much about having uw lights the topic is beginning to interest me.

One item I see as detractor, at least where we anchor, is that after dark there becomes a barrage of flying insects... at close of dusk we encapsulate ourselves inside boat for watching a movie, or reading and early bed time so we get up at or before sunrise. Therefore the dark hours where I believe uw lights would be most fun would not be when we'd be outside to enjoy them.

That makes me wonder... seeing as our boat has very large windows in its salon: Maybe I could hook up uw lights onto some sort of "outrigger" that could be deployed while at anchor and by the lights being away from edge of boat we could watch the uw fun of lights attracting fish while remaining inside boat?

Would also like to have lights on transom for when the bugs are not to thick... like evenings when a good breeze is occurring.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:11 AM   #3
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
We installed SeaBlaze X lights in October, and they are awesome. Love having an aquarium out the back door

We used then for squidding last winter- the white attracted the squid perfectly, and fresh calamari is hard to beat!

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:33 AM   #4

City: Memphis
Vessel Name: Ivory Lady
Vessel Model: 46 Jefferson
After seeing these posts and with my boat ready to be pulled for paint, I'm also following with interest. My concern is how well these would work in murky water. We are on the Mississippi River. Are there any other folks that have experience with these in a similar river/murky water setting?
clynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:02 PM   #5
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
If you want a similar result with no holes in the hull, no lift and a $50 spend.

GREEN Underwater fishing light Bright Squid Fish Prawn 180 LED Light. 12-24V | eBay
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:02 PM   #6
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
If you want a similar result with no holes in the hull, no lift and a $50 spend.

GREEN Underwater fishing light Bright Squid Fish Prawn 180 LED Light. 12-24V | eBay
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:17 PM   #7
Guru

City: Baltimore
Vessel Name: Sea life
Vessel Model: Krogen 42 #61
Simi 60, that is the one I use. It comes in green, blue, and white. I think I got them on amazon for $13. Still good two years later. Gives a nice 360* vs. just out the back. I can drop one off bow, one off stern and usully get 150' circle of light.

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sealife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:22 PM   #8
Guru

City: Mt Crested Butte
Vessel Name: Artemis
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 67
2 years ago I used these
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 , and mounted 6" aboveLWL . Cost $18.50 each I mounted 2 white and 2 blue. We have huge tarpon etc every night round the stern in the BVI's. But are careful not to use them in the USVI (It's highly illegal). I balked at the high cost of the trendy ones . But found these on amazon, I tested them before fitting, no problems, been used extensively since fittings and some days they fail to be tuned of at the evening. Running into the next night!
Martin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:30 PM   #9
Art
Guru

WOW - This is a cool thread! We will eventually end up with some sort of uw lights.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:42 PM   #10

City: Ft Lauderdale
Vessel Model: 120' Custom, Cat 3512's, 1750 HP ea.
I would NEVER start punching holes in a perfectly good fiberglass hull just to mount an UW light. Every hull opening is a weak point, for not only catastrophic flooding but seepage into the core causing permanent damage.
Reality is only a few boats this size cruise the crystal clear waters of Bahamas or Carib. most boats are kept in murky waters and do you really want to see things lit up and floating by in brown water?? Not me.
Mount something on trim tabs or swim platform brackets that way you haven't devalued your hull come resale time.
BerettaRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:47 PM   #11

City: Vancouver
Vessel Name: Sea Q
Vessel Model: Westport Mc Queen
I bought and installed two on the transom of our 19 foot tender
It looks real cool at night and it does attract fish and shrimp at night
I put the lights on so that when at night when beaching the boat I could see what was under the water
Lady smith BC has a coal beach that at a low tide has a lot of old steel parts
Sea Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:17 PM   #12
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
I ain't putting no holes in Magic's hull.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:13 PM   #13

City: Norfolk, VA
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
I want them and I was thinking of somehow zip tying them to the diagonal swim platform struts and have them point out at an angle on each side. No holes underwater and then I can run the wires back up and along the swim platform to the transom.
cool beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:48 PM   #14
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
The good ones should only need a tiny hole for wires....and some, the wires can come in just above the waterline.

Epoxy a block to the hull and screw into that...virtually no breach of virgin hull underwater.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:34 PM   #15
Art
Guru

Must say that I will neither put new holes underwater or even just above water line in the hull. I'll figure out some other way to power and fasten the lights.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:32 PM   #16
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Whatever you do, don't install them like this guy. This is a transom waiting to rot!

I would consider an above-waterline transom hole only because I have a solid FRP transom and the ability to hide the wires under the swimstep. I think they'd be a great help when operating by dingy at night.

I also have one of those portable fishing lights with a 12V plug. I'm going to try that as a night lighting aid when using the dink this summer. It's not LED, but it'll work as an experiment. I have a portable battery pack to provide the 12V power.

With inductive power, why do we have to drill a hole to power an LED light? Why can't we wire a power puck to the inside of the hull and have the electricity inductively transmitted into the receiving light fixture? I charge my toothbrush this way and all it takes is a small battery for operation. Charge during the day (if needed) and operate at night. Would the transmitted power cause electrolysis?

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:52 PM   #17
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. FW. Only lasted until the first minute where they mentioned SILICONE! This bozo may have been in the mechanical trade for 25 years but I'd take a chance fixing my OWN bicycle before I'd call him.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:56 PM   #18
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post

Whatever you do, don't install them like this guy. This is a transom waiting to rot!
You got that right!!

OMG - What is wrong with that company showing thing like that that will for certain eventually rot the heck out of that boat's transom????

That's just wrong to show newbie boaters... any boaters for that matter!

I'm at the video they produced!
Old 07-18-2017, 09:48 PM   #19
Guru

City: Boston Area
what was wrong with that installation...he sealed all the holes ?
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:14 PM   #20
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
what was wrong with that installation...he sealed all the holes ?
I'll let Al explain that if he likes. I usually end up writing too many words and reasons. Anyway, Al recognized the problem[s] first.