Undecided on Navegation Support System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Portuguese

Guru
Vessel Name
Rainha Jannota
Vessel Make
Curruira 46
Fellow boaters
I have on board a Garmin series 4000 navigation system with Radar/Chartplotter/depth sensor. I am here looking to the shop window undecided on what to buy to plan routes and trips in my house with a laptop or a Tablet either IPad or other brand.
What you experimented users have on board, Laptops or Tablets? For Garmin system using HomePort software, is it better to have a computer or a Tablet?
Thank you fopr your comments

Portuguese

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 107
Fellow boaters
I have on board a Garmin series 4000 navigation system with Radar/Chartplotter/depth sensor. I am here looking to the shop window undecided on what to buy to plan routes and trips in my house with a laptop or a Tablet either IPad or other brand.
What you experimented users have on board, Laptops or Tablets? For Garmin system using HomePort software, is it better to have a computer or a Tablet?
Thank you fopr your comments

Portuguese

I would either get another Garmin (added redundancy) With built in wifi (Ie: 741xs) or I believe they sell and adapter that plugs into you're current Garmin. Then get a iPad and get Garmins Bluechart app, so you'd be able to send routes and waypoints to your plotter.
http://www.westmarine.com/fixed-mou...ine-wi-fi-adapter-kit-north-america--14541684

For home, I would use a laptop with Open CPN, which is free and Brazil has free raster charts that work with it. I would then add Visual Passage Planner which is a pilot based passage planning program. We use both and they work well. You can also add a GPS hockey puck receiver for ~$30 and have a good back up navigation system on the boat.

OpenCPN | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Digital Wave - Home

No need for the external GPS if you have a cellular based iPAD. They have built in GPS only the original WiFi only units have no GPS, then a product like BADELF or something similar will work.
Garmin has a WiFi AP (it's a Ubiquiti) product that will turn most of their MFD's into a WiFi enable Garmin network
All of the new (xs) GPS or MFD units have WiFi adding it will give the same results and redundancy.
Bill

Guys

Thank you all for your answers. Iwill be following Larry's recommendation as I am already in the process with all charts downloaded via web plus the OpenCPN. Unfortunately not all Apple goodies work in Latin America.

Thank you all

Did you get her splashed??

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom