Ultrasonic anti-fouling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Vessel Name
Gray Hawk
Vessel Make
Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser
Anybody know anything? I ran into these guys at the Vancouver Boat Show. Their system sounds too good to be true. My natural tendency is toward cynicism but the frugal (cheap SOB) part of me would like to believe their claims. So I look to the collective wisdom of the group.

Yes, I also would love to know if they are kosher or not. It does sound too good to be true, yet surely it is something pretty easy to disprove or prove, so why is it that there is so much scepticism regarding the technology, and still so few using it if it is as good as claimed. To me that is the most puzzling aspect. Most just dismiss it as snake oil, but admit they have not tried it. Where are the strong devotees who do use it and are pleased with it. Surely there must be some, if they are still selling the product. Where are they all...?

This isn't a new idea. Every few years, since the 1970's someone has come out with some sort of ultrasonic hull protector. None of them have worked. I doubt this one does either. I remember one that the transducers were hooked to a radio and you played music for the critters.
Put some magnets around your fuel line and you'll get better mileage.

This is pretty much a combination of smoke and mirrors and snake oil salesmanship. In my 40 years in the marine service industry I have seen this come up over and over for many years. it just does not work and there is no real science to back it up. If you really want to spend the money, send me half of what the system will cost you and I will send you my system that runs off a 9 volt battery and works just as well. Chuck

Anybody know anything? I ran into these guys at the Vancouver Boat Show. Their system sounds too good to be true. My natural tendency is toward cynicism but the frugal (cheap SOB) part of me would like to believe their claims. So I look to the collective wisdom of the group.
It would be nice, and I have no clue if this works or not, but a couple of things jumped out from their brochure. They make the claim that by disrupting the attachment of algae to the hull, the food chain for barnacles are disrupted. I am no marine biologist, but I don't think barnacles feed with their feet so I have no clue why growing on an algae free surface would bother them much.

Also a little confused by the designation of Okeover Inlet as "the world's haven for boating and outdoor activities." Isn't that a bit like calling Burnaby the world's most cosmopolitan city?

Maybe I'm being too critical....

I will send you my system that runs off a 9 volt battery and works just as well. Chuck

I bought one of your systems, years ago & it didn't work at all! (Oh! I guess that's what you meant...:facepalm:)

I bought one of your systems, years ago & it didn't work at all! (Oh! I guess that's what you meant...:facepalm:)

That's because Chuck's original design didn't have enough current. Send me $$$ plus shipping and handling, and I'll send you an 18 volt battery that does wonders for Chuck's design. But WAIT. If you send the money now, I'll double your order for only the additional shipping and handling costs! That's TWO 18 volt batteries for Chuck's design, and if you order right now, I'll include this handy bilge bleffer, yours FREE for simply ordering right now.:)

The two transducer unit is $950.00 Canadian. That's a lotta moolah which would require solid evidence that it works to justify spending.

Why didn't they do side by side testing? Two boats, same conditions, compare!

...and...would they drive dogs insane?

Effective Anti-Fouling chemicals and devices are often dependent on discovering what actually "fouls" the fowling creatures. After extensive testing, I've learned that an underwater hull loudspeaker (featuring Lawrence Welk's Greatest Hits) keeps my bottom clean.

Attachments

• loudspeaker anti-fouling.jpg
    loudspeaker anti-fouling.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 221
That pretty well confirms my initial reaction. There was another clown there selling a fuel cell that could make up to 65 watts (for a mere $6500). I didn't buy that either. Rescue Tape & a copy of Ports & Passes were the only items that required my wallet to appear.

After extensive testing, I've learned that an underwater hull loudspeaker (featuring Lawrence Welk's Greatest Hits) keeps my bottom clean.

That would keep me miles away from your bottom or from any source that was broadcasting that drivel. (Sorry Grandma, listening to Lawrence Welk is a fate worse than waterboarding).

I've learned that an underwater hull loudspeaker (featuring Lawrence Welk's Greatest Hits) keeps my bottom clean.

Perhaps I was not clear enough in my original post. My concern is keeping Gray Hawk's bottom clean.

Perhaps I was not clear enough in my original post. My concern is keeping Gray Hawk's bottom clean.

You're right, Bob. It was selfish of me to keep my list of Anti-Fouling Albums that are guaranteed to fowl any living creature.

Top Anti-Fouling Albums:

1. Lawrence Welk, Disco Freakout

Lawrence Welk - YouTube

2. Mitch Miller , Sing Along With Mitch

Mitch Miller - YouTube.

3. Slim Whitman, Tennessee Yodel Polka

slim whitman yodeling - YouTube

4. Tiny Tim, Tip-Toe through the Tulips

tiny tim tiptoe through the tulips - YouTube

5. Mrs. Miller, Downtown

mrs. miller downtown - YouTube

6. The Rivingtons, Papa Ooh Mow Mow

papa oom mow mow rivingtons - YouTube

Healhustler, I think you missed Bob's point. He really doesn't care how you keep your bottom clean, he's interested in how you keep your boats bottom clean.

Why did you go so far north to haul your boat? Are you back yet?

You're right, Bob. It was selfish of me to keep my list of Anti-Fouling Albums that are guaranteed to fowl any living creature.

Top Anti-Fouling Albums:

Lawrence Welk - YouTube

Mitch Miller - YouTube.

5. Mrs. Miller, Downtown

Oh great. Now I have Mrs. Miller haunting my braincells.

Healhustler, you should have included a STRONG warning.

If you played Tiny Bubbles by Don Ho, would that keep ice from forming next to the hull?

Top Anti-Fouling Albums:

Lawrence Welk - YouTube

Mitch Miller - YouTube.

5. Mrs. Miller, Downtown

If Slim Whitman can control Martians, there is no reason why he can't control barnacles....

Indian Love Call in Mars Attacks! - YouTube

Why did you go so far north to haul your boat? Are you back yet?

Try though I may, I could not get help in Miami. Yards had too much easy money to make. I'm using mostly private guys here that grew-up with boats, and are motivated by the business they get from other Krogen owners.

Oh, I get it now, Bob. It's true that listening to the same selections I've listed here do indeed have a laxative effect. It may be dangerous to play the list above the waterline.:)

We all love and trust in Fleming Yachts as being the top of the range, high quality and very professional, right......

Well, here is an article from the owner of Fleming vs Ultrasonic anti foul systems

ULTRASONIC ANTIFOULING'S ULTRA SERIES II SYSTEM FOR FLEMING YACHTS

I trust that this article will silence some of the cruisers who has questions about this kind of anti foul system...........but then again... there are a lot more smart people out there that knows a lot better than Fleming.

Just because a manufacturer, no matter who they are, offers an "option" for there boats, isn't a positive reinforcement that the product works. It means the builder has something else to offer that you pay for. They claim "testing" but no indication of what the testing was. On any boat, especially a power vessel, if the boat is constantly on the move the bottom stays relatively clean. I have seen the ultrasonic units in REAL LIFE use since they were first introduced to the market several years ago and they do absolutely nothing to prevent fouling and depending on these units as a sole source of antifouling will actually make the situation worse since nothing is protecting the bottom. Adding them to a boat with antifouling paint and not getting any fouling just means the paint is working. I suspect the Fleming still comes with bottom paint. I might add that I have been in the marine service industry for 40 years. Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom