Two Radar Screens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tumblehome

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Jello
Vessel Make
Boston Whaler 15 Sport
I've searched the internet without success. I would like to have two radar screens. One on the bridge and one at the lower helm. I'd like to have each one connected to the single radar antenna. Either have a switch that changes the incoming signal to one monitor or the other or an inline splitter that sends the signal to both monitors. Anyone know if this is possible?

Garmin and I'm sure many other plotters that can be networked. Have to plotters in my pilothouse. Either or both can display the output of the radar.

Ted

It may be that my old Raytheon R41X doesn't have the convenient connection features of the more modern ones.

It may be that my old Raytheon R41X doesn't have the convenient connection features of the more modern ones.

Definitely. So most likely your going to have to replace it if you want dual station capability.

Doesn't the R41X display have a SeaTalk connection on it? Theoretically, you should be able to do it with SeaTalk but you are dealing with a raster radar image in a digital world. It would probably be best to talk to a Raymarine dealer about it.

I think you would get a lot better mileage by getting a new modern radar and a couple of Multi Function Displays which are optimized for that type of configuration. Definitely a lot more boat dollars.

It's time to bite the bullet

All of the newer radars can be networked. Most chartplotters can overlay your radar image on the chart. Something I would not be without. Radars are not forever, they degrade with time and use. The new high definition or digital are huge improvements.

Most likely possible, but the connection details depend on the particular brand.

Garmin radar for example, can be networked but not via N2K, only via Garmin's proprietary network (similar to Ethernet, faster than N2K). The radar connects to one chartplotter which is connected to another via Garmin's network. See the chart ... http://www8.garmin.com/marine/brochures/06542_MRN_network_brochure_v2.pdf ... on the page 32.

Hope this helps ...

Most likely possible, but the connection details depend on the particular brand.

Garmin radar for example, can be networked but not via N2K, only via Garmin's proprietary network (similar to Ethernet, faster than N2K). The radar connects to one chartplotter which is connected to another via Garmin's network. See the chart ... http://www8.garmin.com/marine/brochures/06542_MRN_network_brochure_v2.pdf ... on the page 32.

Hope this helps ...

Yep, same as Furuno.

h
And Simrad, and Raymarine. They all seem to do it the same way now. You basically need two Multi Function Displays, one at each helm, plus a radar scanner.

Oh ok, wasn't sure that's why I didn't mention them

But if he wanted to keep costs relatively down he can go with the blackbox system. Just personal preference and funds.

Last edited:
I have standard horizon cp590 mfd at the lower helm and my Si-tex radar works on it and on the standalone Si-tex display at the upper helm. I ran the data wires to a connection strip and wired the displays into it. The cable from the radar goes to a rad box the data wires from the display normally make connection in this box. I ran data cable from the box and cables from each display to the strip. I can overlay on the cp590 and may at some point go to a single 12' display on the bridge to replace the double 7" displays I have now. The Si-Tex tech at 1st told me it wouldn't work later he told me it would but that I could only power up 1 display at a time, it works just fine on one I've never needed both on at once;-)

I would like to keep costs down, so the black box method is more appealing to me. I believe the R41X does not have Seatalk capability. At least I haven't found mention of it in the user manual. But there is an extra cable out the back of the unit that has a six-post connector on the end. I've never had anything connected to this. It was not connected to anything when I bought the boat six years ago. This extra wire with connector does not appear in the illustrations nor component labels in the manual.

Not sure why the other dup thread posts didn't get carried over...

But many of the manufacturers allow wifi transfer to a tablet from even a smaller, inexpensive display.

I have a 7 inch Raymarine plotter with fishfinder and digital radar that I have full function of and full display on my 10 inch Samsung tablet that I can carry anywhere on the boat.

I also believe Furuno now wifis the radar data from the scanner wherever...so running the video cable is no longer necessary...ust a power cord.

Being able to wifi complete control negates the necessity of a second expensive display...as long as it's OK with you and you drive your boat in such a way a tablet will suffice.

I just read a couple of days ago about a Furuno unit for $1300 that used a ipad for a display, have not read any reviews on it yet.

Get two Garmin 741xs and GMR 18hd dome. All for under $3000.

I have an opportunity to buy a Raymarine RL70RC dome antenna and display screen. Would this model conveniently allow connection of a 2nd screen? Thanks.

I have an opportunity to buy a Raymarine RL70RC dome antenna and display screen. Would this model conveniently allow connection of a 2nd screen? Thanks.

The RL70RC is a full fledged chartplotter but somewhat older design....maybe 15 years. How convenient you can connect is probably a function of the capabilities of the second screen but if they both are Raymarine they should have Seatalk connectors and share radar data.

Not sure why you want to fool around with this older equipment which I am assuming is used. I am more familiar with Garmin than Raymarine products and know you could get 2 new 8" chartplotters, a GPS antenna, and a HD 4Kw 36 mile radar for under $6K and the interfacing is fairly easy. I suspect a similar package could be obtained from Raymarine or Lowrance/Simrad.

The RL70RC might last another 20 years but then it might only last another 3 months. Getting tech support on legacy electronic equipment isn't that easy. I would go the new route.

The RL70RC is a full fledged chartplotter but somewhat older design....maybe 15 years. How convenient you can connect is probably a function of the capabilities of the second screen but if they both are Raymarine they should have Seatalk connectors and share radar data.

Not sure why you want to fool around with this older equipment which I am assuming is used. I am more familiar with Garmin than Raymarine products and know you could get 2 new 8" chartplotters, a GPS antenna, and a HD 4Kw 36 mile radar for under $6K and the interfacing is fairly easy. I suspect a similar package could be obtained from Raymarine or Lowrance/Simrad.

The RL70RC might last another 20 years but then it might only last another 3 months. Getting tech support on legacy electronic equipment isn't that easy. I would go the new route.

Seatalk 1 and two are too slow. Unless it's Seatalk HS I highly doubt you'll be able to share data.

Seatalk 1 and two are too slow. Unless it's Seatalk HS I highly doubt you'll be able to share data.

My understanding is they will share the radar data but HSB2 is needed to share maps.

I was kind of wondering if Garmin shared the radar data through N2K or if both chartplotters had to connect on GMN. My understanding is only one needed a GMN connection.

My understanding is they will share the radar data but HSB2 is needed to share maps.

I was kind of wondering if Garmin shared the radar data through N2K or if both chartplotters had to connect on GMN. My understanding is only one needed a GMN connection.

Not sure about the HSB2.

But yes your right about the Garmins. They transmit and share their data over the Garmin Marine Network. N2k doesn't have the bandwidth to support them.

Yes, the RL series can run 2 display and one dome...finding the second display and cables may get interesting...but there are plenty of boats out there with that setup. Some may be upgrading around now so ask around to marine electronics places to see if they are replacing any.

Just make sure you are getting the correct display setup...they did have the pathfinder series that were radar only (I think they were SL designations though).

Garmin shares maps and Garmin radar across the Garmin network...a form of Ethernet. Garmin shares N2K data such as AIS and GPS and Autopilot and Depth across the N2K network or the 0183 network.:dance:

Yes, my vessel was so equipped, a decade ago they were a very good new boat system. Then after 6 years the Raymarine radar scanner crapped out. So I went with 2 Furuno NN3 MFD 12s which proved to be the most cost effective option for the upper helm daylight viewable screen with full capability for viewing and managing all things associated with the lower helm NN3.

But keeping the slave and master behaving is a must. The old RL70 was not sophisticated enough to know who was the boss. We still have the RL70 in place on the upper helm and use it routinely as a chart plotter to keep the NN3 honest.

If you pick up another display on eBay and find a source for the right length of connecting cables with proprietary plugs yes, it can be done. I did it several years ago. Dome started failing about a year later. Installation was torn out and replaced with a new dome and two new Raymarine MFDs. (Which I hate, but that's a different story.)

edit: Whoops, looks like my reading comprehension slipped. If you're thinking of connecting to the R41X no, it will not work. Different generation. The R41X had primitive networking connections to connect to a compatible Loran-C for position data, but that's it.

As a rule of thumb: if the manual mentions "NMEA 0182" and the unit is working, leave it alone. If not, get a shovel. Do not futz with it unless you're a hobbyist who likes the electronic equivalent of BDSM.

Last edited:
Get two Garmin 741xs and GMR 18hd dome. All for under $3000.

That was exactly my plan. Last Fall I called Garmin to make sure this would work and was told that while the 741xs does connect to a Garmin network, it only had "select networking capabilities that allow you to share features with other compatible GPSMAP units, such as supplemental maps, and user data" and they "allow networked combos to share their internal sonar with any other device on the network." They do not, however, share radar information with other networked devices. The radar function is only available on the unit to which it is physically attached.

I suspect they don't want the GPSMAP Combos to compete with the higher-priced MFD's in their product line.

One alternative I am looking at is using Garmin Helm on an iPad to remotely display and control a single 741xs from another location on the boat.

Right now a pair of new MFD's are just not in the budget.

Larry
M/V Boomarang

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom