Old 01-02-2015, 08:49 AM   #21
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
My understanding is they will share the radar data but HSB2 is needed to share maps.

I was kind of wondering if Garmin shared the radar data through N2K or if both chartplotters had to connect on GMN. My understanding is only one needed a GMN connection.

Not sure about the HSB2.

But yes your right about the Garmins. They transmit and share their data over the Garmin Marine Network. N2k doesn't have the bandwidth to support them.

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:00 AM   #22
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumblehome View Post
I have an opportunity to buy a Raymarine RL70RC dome antenna and display screen. Would this model conveniently allow connection of a 2nd screen? Thanks.
Yes, the RL series can run 2 display and one dome...finding the second display and cables may get interesting...but there are plenty of boats out there with that setup. Some may be upgrading around now so ask around to marine electronics places to see if they are replacing any.

Just make sure you are getting the correct display setup...they did have the pathfinder series that were radar only (I think they were SL designations though).

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:42 AM   #23

City: Seabrook Texas
Vessel Name: TheVenture
Vessel Model: 1985 Bestway Labelle Sundeck 40ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
I was kind of wondering if Garmin shared the radar data through N2K or if both chartplotters had to connect on GMN. My understanding is only one needed a GMN connection.

Garmin shares maps and Garmin radar across the Garmin network...a form of Ethernet. Garmin shares N2K data such as AIS and GPS and Autopilot and Depth across the N2K network or the 0183 network.
obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:03 AM   #24
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
I have an opportunity to buy a Raymarine RL70RC dome antenna and display screen. Would this model conveniently allow connection of a 2nd screen? Thanks.
Yes, my vessel was so equipped, a decade ago they were a very good new boat system. Then after 6 years the Raymarine radar scanner crapped out. So I went with 2 Furuno NN3 MFD 12s which proved to be the most cost effective option for the upper helm daylight viewable screen with full capability for viewing and managing all things associated with the lower helm NN3.

But keeping the slave and master behaving is a must. The old RL70 was not sophisticated enough to know who was the boss. We still have the RL70 in place on the upper helm and use it routinely as a chart plotter to keep the NN3 honest.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:26 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Quote:
If you pick up another display on eBay and find a source for the right length of connecting cables with proprietary plugs yes, it can be done. I did it several years ago. Dome started failing about a year later. Installation was torn out and replaced with a new dome and two new Raymarine MFDs. (Which I hate, but that's a different story.)

edit: Whoops, looks like my reading comprehension slipped. If you're thinking of connecting to the R41X no, it will not work. Different generation. The R41X had primitive networking connections to connect to a compatible Loran-C for position data, but that's it.

As a rule of thumb: if the manual mentions "NMEA 0182" and the unit is working, leave it alone. If not, get a shovel. Do not futz with it unless you're a hobbyist who likes the electronic equivalent of BDSM.
Sisuitl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:21 AM   #26
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill29130 View Post
Get two Garmin 741xs and GMR 18hd dome. All for under $3000.
Ditto. We have three Garmin 7212 plotters, one Garmin HD radar. Any of the plotters will display the radar, or all three at once. It's all networked.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:45 AM   #27
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill29130 View Post
Get two Garmin 741xs and GMR 18hd dome. All for under $3000.
That was exactly my plan. Last Fall I called Garmin to make sure this would work and was told that while the 741xs does connect to a Garmin network, it only had "select networking capabilities that allow you to share features with other compatible GPSMAP units, such as supplemental maps, and user data" and they "allow networked combos to share their internal sonar with any other device on the network." They do not, however, share radar information with other networked devices. The radar function is only available on the unit to which it is physically attached.

I suspect they don't want the GPSMAP Combos to compete with the higher-priced MFD's in their product line.

One alternative I am looking at is using Garmin Helm on an iPad to remotely display and control a single 741xs from another location on the boat.

Right now a pair of new MFD's are just not in the budget.

Larry
M/V Boomarang

LarryM is offline   Reply With Quote