Old 06-24-2014, 11:18 AM   #21

Okay then. NS gets my vote for professor based on his latest posted observations.

SaltyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:36 AM   #22
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTEDAVIS View Post
It seems that to make it sell the folks must somehow be in-bread, low information morons that make their own moonshine while wrestling gators and entering their obnoxious spawn in adult stripper contests.
If the above are the desired parameters the OP needs to get off the web and buy a plane ticket to SFO. Hire a skiff and find Richardson Bay on a chart. 2 hours cruising around that anchorage with a small stack of hundred dollar bills oughta net you enough willing participants for 3-4 boats for your pilot episode.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:24 PM   #23
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
There are lots of older hermit type people living on old Samson ferrocement boats in nooks and cranny along the BC coast. But even with their unique philosophies and hygiene habits, they probably wouldn't provide lasting entertainment value to those viewers who are accustomed to unsafe, opinionated, beer-bellied get 'er done gold miners and tow truck operators.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:25 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTEDAVIS View Post
Strange, I can't see even the least bit of encouragement in my post.
The intent was to agree whole heartedly with your post and add to your thoughts. Poorly constructed post on my part...sorry.
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:45 PM   #25
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Bryan:

Go to Marathon, Florida.

>snip<

There are liveabards of all kinds in Marathon: the compost toilet, grow your own... types and the air conditioned, semi luxury types. Whether anyone will talk to you is another question.

David
That is a great idea. The Keys are where he should be going for "talent" and location scouting.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:59 PM   #26
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I nominate the French couple who ripped off the dockmaster in I believe it was South Carolina, then took off for bahamas to run aground and into arms of the law. They would be in the next slip to or anchored next to Nightcap, the loon from Vanuatu, or whoever it was that "hijacked his computer"
Old 06-24-2014, 02:13 PM   #27
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
Well, I think the least we could do for Severancetv is to put together a TF updated Gilligan's Island.

Who would be cast though?

Now I don't want any tears before bedtime as the casting is not set in stone, however perhaps the following may have that right chemistry so necessary! So........(drum role)

The cast of characters:

Gilligan ...................... Northern Spy, please step this way

The Skipper' .............. Art...come Art don't be shy

Thurston Howell III.......Moonstruck yes,yes,yes

Mrs. Lovey Howell.........Janice 142, this part is so you

Ginger Grant .................WifeyB Hmmm,OK from the top

The Professor................RT Firefly simply born for this part

Mary Anne................... Janet HYou are Mary Anne!

I would ask the cast not to speak to the producers till the contract details have been finalised.
Before considering this prime spot in my burgeoning career, I decided to take a gander at "Rescue from Gilligan's Island" (just happen to have that DVD aboard) and, well,

I am honored.
You may be my agent Andy.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:44 PM   #28

City: Poulsbo, WA
Vessel Name: M/V Knot Knormal
Vessel Model: President 41
Years ago (hate to admit how many) I saw a piece of graffiti that has stuck with me all this time. It went like this:

Drugs are for those who can not handle reality
Reality is for those who can not handle Drugs
TV is for those who can not handle either

Just never thought I would see a blog where that would be appropriate!

Marty.......................
MartySchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:34 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I nominate the French couple who ripped off the dockmaster in I believe it was South Carolina, then took off for bahamas to run aground and into arms of the law. They would be in the next slip to or anchored next to Nightcap, the loon from Vanuatu, or whoever it was that "hijacked his computer"
:-)
Old 06-24-2014, 05:13 PM   #30

City: Anacortes
Don Berry is long since passed, but he was the one guy who made the "off-grid" lifestyle seem romantic. His writings are worth the time to read them. Very entertaining. Got me through a boring winter at work many years ago. That said, if you read between the adventures, most of us would not choose the life. Some of the characters he wrote about at still living in Eagle Harbor just outside of Seattle. There has been pushes over the years to get rid of them, but I believe a few still persist.

Magic Harbor

Something tells me this is not the right bent for a reality show. I think the cruising lifestyle is what you really want. I followed some blogs many years ago before that was all too common of some folks doing the great loop starting south down the Pacific coast, then through the Panama canal, then the big loop. THAT was exciting. Waiting for days for the next check-in, trying to follow weather and such. Shouldn't be too hard to find a few cruisers of that sort, they tend to hang out in SSB checkins and such if you do your research.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:47 PM   #31
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
In real life (whatever that is) I've never been repeatedly beaten with a hat by a fat guy, so I might not feel comfortable in that role. In fact, I look, act and dress more like the professor... RT wanna swap?

. . . . . . . . ., but you look so much like Gilligan. Give it a shot. Please.

By the way I am much too young to play Thurston Howell, III.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:28 PM   #32
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
The cruisers net is on 14.300 MHz I believe. You need a ham call sign to join.
AA2UK
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:50 PM   #33
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
I used to follow Knotty Dog... kept my spirits up while taking care of Mother (Alzheimer's) and the lady was a hoot. I would have liked to meet her. They seemed like nice folks.

And the photography was excellent. A very talented couple on a larger boat....
Old 06-28-2014, 09:56 PM   #34

City: Tasmania
Vessel Name: Viking
Vessel Model: Nova 48 Cockpit Motor Yacht
There is a poster getting around another forum with the initials GG whose life may make for an interesting reality TV program. They have missed filming the start of the story but even tuning in where the reality is about now would be ok.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:18 PM   #35
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Boating is boring unless you're living it first hand. It's the ambiance, something hard to capture in a documentary.

Occasional "crisis" on the other hand could be interesting. Gawd! Is he going to hit me?!

... Oh, what a lovely passing:

Old 06-29-2014, 12:52 AM   #36
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Wifey B: Just now saw I'd been cast. Well, at least I do like my fellow cast members, just not the idiot producer. Thing is the real story of boating no one would watch. Heck, you really think Gilligan's would work today? I mean like today's tv would require two hot scantily clad girls inherit a derelict boat and get into trouble in port after port. Ooops...I may have given the Kardashians an idea. Or Nicole and Paris. I mean only boating show right now if it hasn't been cancelled which it should be is "Below Deck." Well, at least he wouldn't need to change the title of his existing show much. "Down East Dickering". Now "Off Shore D......ing."

I mean I'd like watch some body here who has a blog converted to a show with the new people and ports they visit, not the freaking repairs and maintenance though. But their audience would be like me and five more.

You know they busted all the game shows in ancient days for being fake. Why not the reality shows. At least a disclaimer sort of like Law and Order has. "The following story is fictional and does not depict any actual person or event." Actually Law and Order comes a lot closer to reality than reality.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:02 AM   #37
Guru

Wifey B: Darn, I blew my chance at stardom. Oh well. lol
Old 06-29-2014, 01:28 AM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
I used to follow Knotty Dog... kept my spirits up while taking care of Mother (Alzheimer's) and the lady was a hoot. I would have liked to meet her. They seemed like nice folks.

And the photography was excellent. A very talented couple on a larger boat....
We follow many blogs and we would watch an honest show of cruisers. Wouldn't have to be complete, don't need to see them painting the hull for months. Just highlights. But just like the beautiful photo on the front of knottydog. I wonder sometimes if there are enough true boaters to enjoy it. To me it is certainly more exciting that watching a golf tournament, if done correctly. But I'd want to see those others could emulate, not the few to various extremes.