Old 05-08-2014, 09:18 PM   #21
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Find an aluminum scrap bike wheel.

Cut all the spokes out then cut the unit in to 2 half circles.

Use any insulation , wood will do and space the halves back to a circle but not touching..

Use a 300-75 ohm connected to either half wheel and bring the 75 ohm coax into your TV.

4 holes and some string will allow you to hang the antenna as high as you can, and to easily strike it when not required.

I'm with Ff on this one. I made the same thing out of a motor cycle wheel for extra Heavy-Duty reception.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:19 PM   #22
Guru

City: Juno Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
We bought a cheap Walmart antenna for $20 and are traveling north. Currently just pulled into anchor at Wrightsville Beach NC and have 8 channels.

Each night we have stopped we have had some channels not all HD quality like we do here but then we just play a DVD.

If it only worked for a few days it's totally worth it

gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:40 AM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Newburyport, MA
Vessel Name: Kairos
Vessel Model: Hunt Express 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billylll View Post
I mentioned Radio Shack because if you save the packing material and it doesn't work most stores will let you return the product and either refund your money or let you buy another product (store credit).
I really suggest an outside of the boat antenna for best results. I have tried most outdoor marine units and the Glomex V9125 has consistently worked best for me.
Bill
Bill,
I had a Shakespeare 3020 on my last boat that worked pretty well, but would not get some of the local news stations reliably. Just wondering if you have any experience with this company/model and how it might compare to Glomex?

Looking to add an antenna like this to our new boat.

Thanks,
Donny
DonnyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:14 AM   #24
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyP View Post
Bill,
I had a Shakespeare 3020 on my last boat that worked pretty well, but would not get some of the local news stations reliably. Just wondering if you have any experience with this company/model and how it might compare to Glomex?

Looking to add an antenna like this to our new boat.

Thanks,
Donny
Donny part of my testing of UFO marine style TV antennas was trying 2 different model Shakespeare antennas, your's was one. The performance was akin to night vs day. Even the small 10" Glomex outperformed any Shakespeare I tried.
The V9112 is also a good model. I did notice that finding Glomex antennas on EBay has really dropped off. I'm wondering if there has been a change in their US distribution?
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:44 AM   #25
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Hopefully, this is close enough to the topic to ask you communications gurus. Our DF44 came with a new KVH M1 Tracvision. Any mods possible to receive HD signals with this unit?
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:13 AM   #26
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
Hopefully, this is close enough to the topic to ask you communications gurus. Our DF44 came with a new KVH M1 Tracvision. Any mods possible to receive HD signals with this unit?

I don't think so.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:53 PM   #27
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwkiwi View Post
We bought a cheap Walmart antenna for $20 and are traveling north. Currently just pulled into anchor at Wrightsville Beach NC and have 8 channels.

Each night we have stopped we have had some channels not all HD quality like we do here but then we just play a DVD.

If it only worked for a few days it's totally worth it
Other differences aside, there are two types of antennas, uni (one) directional and omni (all) directional. A uni directional antenna is able to concentrate the signal and will have a greater range than an omni directional antenna. The antenna you buy at Walmart or Radio Shack is most likely uni directional. You have to face or point it towards the stations for best results. That's fine for your home or office and OK for a boat in its home slip. It's useless for a boat that's underway or swinging at anchor. The Glomex and similar antennas are onmi directional and will continue to pick up a signal as the boat turns or swings at anchor. They may seem overpriced, but they are specialized and have a much lower sales volume than the Chinese Radio Shack or Walmart antennas.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:51 AM   #28
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Ltd) Monk 42
Response update

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryedaze View Post
I have a two year old 14" Shakespeare Seawatch antenna. A buddy of mine a few docks over has an older Glomex. I "sometimes" can get two stations. He consistently gets 10+ stations. My antenna actually sets about five feet higher than his. I am considering the Glomex.

When I am within 10 miles of the Baltimore/DC area I can pick up 50 stations. My dock is about 45 miles away from the metro area.
I need to amend my response. I changed the connector out on my Shakespeare antenna during some mast refurb and now get 14 station. This is comparable to the old Glomex my buddy has.
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:19 PM   #29
Veteran Member

City: Easton, MD
Vessel Name: Happy Thought
Vessel Model: Mariner Seville 37/Helmsman 38
My observation being on the eastern shore of the Chesapeake: we are out of range of consistently reliable big 3 network coverage. We have a Naval brand $500 antenna at the top of mast. If you are in the slip a directional winegard clip in window antenna will pull in more channels - as a directional antenna does. If you are in a fringe area like us, test the antenna you want before install and buy a returnable product because if you are out of range you are out of range in my opinion. We gave up over here, having a KVH M1DX installed next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
Happy Thought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:33 PM   #30
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Thought View Post
My observation being on the eastern shore of the Chesapeake: we are out of range of consistently reliable big 3 network coverage. We have a Naval brand $500 antenna at the top of mast. If you are in the slip a directional winegard clip in window antenna will pull in more channels - as a directional antenna does. If you are in a fringe area like us, test the antenna you want before install and buy a returnable product because if you are out of range you are out of range in my opinion. We gave up over here, having a KVH M1DX installed next week.

Good tip!
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:39 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:

For my wife and I we prefer the KVH M3 on Direct and the local TV antenna a nice Glomex V9125 works well but we are also on the fringes in Ocean County NJ, between NY and Phila only a handfull of local low power TV stations are within 30 miles.
The M1DX should give you great service in all but heavy downpours.
Bill
Old 06-19-2014, 01:20 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Bill, we are 65 miles from Baltimore. We get public channels ok but not the big three. Good to hear on the KVH. Thanks, jeff

Old 06-19-2014, 01:36 PM   #33
Guru

With Digital broadcast OTA (over the air) you either have signal or you have nothing. There isn't much margin and there is no signal fading like the old days of analog TV.
Bill
Old 06-19-2014, 03:22 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Exactly. So the net effect is actually less range. Being on the fringe the signal goes off and on depending on weather and atmospheric conditions.
Jeff

Old 06-19-2014, 07:15 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Exactly. So the net effect is actually less range. Being on the fringe the signal goes off and on depending on weather and atmospheric conditions.
Jeff

That's absolutely the end result. However the plus to digital TV are sub channels, audio and translation services. The picture is fantastic as long as you have the proper CNIR.
Bill
Old 06-20-2014, 06:40 PM   #36
Guru

City: Juno Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
We have a cheap RCA antenna from Walmart and have been stoked at how many channels we get each night. This evening we are tied up on the Erie Canal at lock #8 and have 5 HD channels.

Best value for dollar everClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1403304022.050689.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	30698
gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:00 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Free public HD is a great value. Noce boat!