Old 09-29-2011, 05:16 PM   #1

City: Spring Lake
Trawler electronics question

I have been looking at a 36 Island Gypsy and as one of the electronics it has a Raytheon ST7000 Auto-pilot. I'm wondering if this model of auto pilot is adequet to use as a start up auto pilot or should I be considering an upgrade. Also what model of chard display should I be looking at that will not require me to use my oldest daughter as a down payment.

I have been sailing for a number of years but never had to look at electronics as an essential element of boating. So I could use some suggestions in that erea.

sunvale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:43 PM   #2
Guru

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Violet A
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
RE: Trawler electronics question

I think you would find that the ST7000 is a fine autopilot. I had one on my previous boat. As far as a chartplotter, I would stay with Raymarine to make the interface easier. Maybe go on EBay and find a C120 or E120 from someone who has upgraded. A new one will set you back 3 or 4 thousand. You can also use a computer with Coastal Explorer (my favorite) as a chart plotter. If you already have a laptop just buy the software and charts and that would be the cheapest perhaps. Interfacing to the autopilot will be more difficult but doable.

Ron

windmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:24 AM   #3

This site is the best. Have learned so much and feel better about stuff I did not know anything about before. I downloaded a number of manuals for the electronics the boat has and it is straight forward.
Thanks
Old 09-30-2011, 06:50 AM   #4
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

Assuming the AP is working fine and has its own GPS and heading compass, you can*choose to*use a non-Raymarine chartplotter. Also,*it is common (some prefer it this way) that APs and chart plotters are not tied together, meaning the AP steers your vessel on a set heading but*not to a waypoint.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:43 AM   #5

What are the potential problems with purchasing a used Chart Plotter. In my experience with computers and other electronics, if they work for the first few weeks, most likely they will keep on working. If that is a valid argument, what kind of chart plotter should I be looking for. It sounds like the C80 with radar is the way to go. Here in Lk. Michigan I would venture to guess it would suffice.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:38 AM   #6
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

Usually systems are abandoned because something isn't working right. How*can one test a system consisting*of cabling, heading sensors, GPSs, radars, chart plotter etc - that is the question. If you can test before a system is removed that is the best. Talking to the local* Ray, Furuno Garmin etc dealer may steer you towards a used system that the current owner is reluctant to replace because it is still functioning OK.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:05 PM   #7

Guess I just have to keep my eyes open for a good used system that worked when removed from the boat for an upgrade.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:16 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

Quote:
sunchaser wrote:
Usually systems are abandoned because something isn't working right. How*can one test a system consisting*of cabling, heading sensors, GPSs, radars, chart plotter etc - that is the question. If you can test before a system is removed that is the best. Talking to the local* Ray, Furuno Garmin etc dealer may steer you towards a used system that the current owner is reluctant to replace because it is still functioning OK.
*Usually, but not always. *My wife is in this business(Furuno,Garmin,Standard Horizon,Raymarine...etc...dealer). *There are people with a LOT of money that simply want the latest and great electronics. *Sportfishermen are probably at the top of that category. *They will replace perfectly functioning electronics with that latest and greatest. *I would recommend going to your local dealers and asking them if they have any "working takeouts" laying around. *You may be surprised. *Also check eBay...since that is likey where they are selling those working takeouts.

Also, most electronics shops should be able to bench test anything. *If they *are unable, I would have a tendency not to do business with them. *It is fairly simple to get something wired up and running.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:53 PM   #9

John, that is a good bit of information.
thanks
Peter