Old 11-29-2014, 06:17 PM   #21

Barograph rising is the time to cast off lines. The trend is more important than the reading. Mine was a gift and I love it.

The one that matches the clock is not so useful for us. The weather glass is as reliable.

SaltyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 12:43 AM   #22
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkliftt View Post
BruceK,
So that's what you call it!
"percussive persuasion"
✌️
In fairness someone else here said it first. Knowing I`d be replacing the clock mechanism if nothing changed, I tapped it, increasingly firmly, with the blunt end of a screwdriver, and it got going.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 01:25 AM   #23
Scraping Paint

City: -
A barograph would be the thing to have for someone cruising full or nearly full time, or doing long ocean cruises.

For people like us who do strictly coastal cruising in fairly protected inside waters (PNW) on weekends and (right now) vacations only, a good barometer, combined with the broadcast/on-line marine weather forecasts seems to be sufficient.

We've found that the forecasts in this region are generally very accurate. What is sometimes not so accurate are the predicted times things are supposed to happen. Local winds and fronts sometimes arrive later than forecast (generally a good thing) and sometimes earlier than forecast (generally a bad thing). Having at least a barometer on board helps us know if what's supposed to happen is or isn't happening on schedule.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 12:48 PM   #24
Guru

City: gulf coast
I often wondered if any of them had different interior works or just better packaging.

Today the electronic recording units seem most useful but the old stuff was prettier.

I get the best weather from TV where I can see the charts. Feel naked when that is unavailable and I have to listen to voice descriptions of frontal patterns.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:55 PM   #25
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
I have a W&P. Every boat needs one. I look at it a lot, especially when I have been told the weather is changing, which is a little convoluted. I like to watch it move as a cold front comes in, or before a hurricane hits. It fell like a stone right before Rita hit, after that I dont recall looking at it. I was kinda busy hangin on.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:20 PM   #26
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
I've got several

Seem the previous owner had a lot of friends that thought giving him a W&P clock and Barometer was cool so Iv'e got three sets. Here in California the Barometer doesn't move much and My Droid weather program is usually dead on. I almost never look at the barometers, maybe the needles are stiff or stuck or something. The brass looks real nautical however. I know what you mean about the clock mechanism on the electric models, same plastic piece of crap that's on the back of every novelty clock. The eight day clock is real brass, and you get to wind it up. None of them are as accurate as my phone.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:03 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary View Post
... I almost never look at the barometers, maybe the needles are stiff or stuck or something. The brass looks real nautical however. I know what you mean about the clock mechanism on the electric models, same plastic piece of crap that's on the back of every novelty clock...
It seems odd, but aneroid barometers, no matter how expensive the brass case, still need to be tapped to show correct pressure. And they usually have an adjustment screw so you can set them to a known correct source, I used the online reading from Sydney airport. All this week Sydney expects afternoon thunderstorms. The sky is darkening now, and the pressure is surely falling, now 1002 mbars.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 02:39 AM   #28
Scraping Paint

City: -
Our Chelsea barometer is the same way; it needs to be tapped to make the needle move. Even the instructions say to do this. But once tapped, it's right on the money for the reading at nearby Bellingham airport (once I adjusted it for that station).
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:44 AM   #29
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I've got a pretty "nautical" barometer hung up in my shop. Like others, have to tap on it to get needle to move. Unless a hurricane is nearby, which I should already be aware of.

There is a good bit of machinery inside these things, and unless super well crafted, it will tend to be sticky.

I think the new digital ones are the way to go. A quality sensor is easier to build than a mechanism.

My TDI VW hooked up to laptop shows charge air pressure. With engine off it displays barometric pressure with what appears to be good accuracy. Probably a similar sensor to those used on the weather stations.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:31 AM   #30

City: Tampa, FL
Off topic, but for those who wonder about the origins of the term "percussive persuasion."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persuasive_Percussion

I actually have this album. Got it from my parents. It was quite revolutionary in its day.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:31 AM   #31
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Tapping the glass is part of the ritual. Wind the clock, tap the glass, note the movement and reset the tell tale pointer. The clock is of course next to the barometer so it is part of the ritual one day a week.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:40 PM   #32
Veteran Member

An iPhone 6 or iPad Air 2!
Island Cessna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:12 PM   #33
QB

City: San Diego and Gabriola
Vessel Name: Skookum Maru
Vessel Model: Ed Monk design #1924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Cessna View Post
An iPhone 6 or iPad Air 2!
There are hundreds of Android barometer apps too.

QB is offline   Reply With Quote