Old 05-16-2011, 02:54 PM   #21
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
RE: Tips on new shore power cords?

Quote:
GonzoF1 wrote:
Yea Ron, that is the plan. I want to kind of go over the whole rig, but I figured that if Smart Plugs were a viable option, the time to replace them would be when I was already digging into it.

I think for now, I'm going to just go ahead with your standard garden-variety yellow cords from Defender or BoatFix. Get 2x50' and 2x25' with a new 50A to 2x30A and be done with it for a while.

Well the smart plugs look good, but they are not standard so if you lose or damage one, you won't be able to borrow one and may not be able to purchase one locally.* That could be a real inconvenience.

I'm staying with the industry standard for the forseable future.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:35 PM   #22
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

Good points, Ron. Thanks.

Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:57 PM   #23
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH

Quote:
GonzoF1 wrote:
Anyone using the Smart Plug rig?
*Yup, I converted last spring. I've seen too many burned up plugs, and if that happens at the boat inlet there is a good chance of a fire.* I like the fact that it's impossible for it to come loose, unlike the old style twist lock that seems to always be loose. It's also far more waterproof, much easier to plug in (no getting on my hands and knees in the dark to find the orientation of the blades) and has a built in over temp shutdown. I've never lost a shore power cord in 30 years, but if I do, I have the old connectors as spares until I can get a replacement.* It's a great solution to a common and possibly deadly problem..............Arctic Traveller
Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:00 AM   #24
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

Thanks... I think I am going to stick with the accepted standard for now, but when I know I have the time and money, upgrade the plugs and connectors on these cables to Smart Plugs sometime next winter. I got a good look at them this weekend, and they are in immediate need of replacement.
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:38 PM   #25
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

Quote:
Arctic Traveller wrote:
I've seen too many burned up plugs, and if that happens at the boat inlet there is a good chance of a fire.*

You've actually seen them?* I have heard about it and it's not hard to imagine, but I've never actually seen one.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:44 PM   #26
Veteran Member

The harbourmaster in Powell River has a collection of burnouts on display in a plexiglass case. It does make you think...*
Sisuitl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:36 AM   #27
FF
Guru

SO far I have seen lots ,(lived aboard in NYC for 22+ years ) but for some reason they ALL seemed to burn out at the dock supply.

Perhaps the dock end is subject to more abuse , or dropped in the sea more often?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:43 AM   #28
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: D U E T T E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy

Quote:
rwidman wrote:Arctic Traveller wrote:
I've seen too many burned up plugs, and if that happens at the boat inlet there is a good chance of a fire.*

You've actually seen them?* I have heard about it and it's not hard to imagine, but I've never actually seen one.

********* Here is a fire that started at the boats power inlet.* The boat was totaled.

********* My boat is mid way down the dock. With the tarp over the flybridge.

********* I was not there that day.** JohnP

JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:42 AM   #29
FF
Guru

"there is a good chance of a fire."

This and many other reasons that new build owners must demand the builder spend a few extra pennies and only build with Fire Retardant resin.

It has been standard on over 6pac inspected vessels for 40? years .
Old 06-03-2011, 08:02 PM   #30
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH

Quote:
rwidman wrote:Arctic Traveller wrote:

*Not just seen it, had it happen on my boat more than once, fortunately never at the boat inlet, and it never caused a fire, just charred plugs.** ..............Arctic Traveller
Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 03:34 PM   #31
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
Arctic Traveller wrote:GonzoF1 wrote:
Anyone using the Smart Plug rig?
*Yup, I converted last spring. I've seen too many burned up plugs, and if that happens at the boat inlet there is a good chance of a fire.* I like the fact that it's impossible for it to come loose, unlike the old style twist lock that seems to always be loose. It's also far more waterproof, much easier to plug in (no getting on my hands and knees in the dark to find the orientation of the blades) and has a built in over temp shutdown. I've never lost a shore power cord in 30 years, but if I do, I have the old connectors as spares until I can get a replacement.* It's a great solution to a common and possibly deadly problem..............Arctic Traveller

******* I just bought one but haven't installed it yet. The old twist & turn plug has been**

******* around since 1938. It's always loose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	smart plug.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	6837  
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:18 AM   #32
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

Here's one. I spray my sockets and plugs about quarterly with corrosion block which keeps this from happening. I do plan to switch to the smart plugs on the boat at some point.
Attached Images

Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:50 AM   #33
FF
Guru

A simple but perhaps not cheap is to insure any plug fire would be on the dock, and not on the boat.

Use a 240V 50A setup ( inlet and power hose) to the boat with a plug adapter to the 30A 120v dock supply.

Boats that require one or two 240V power hoses can only try to purchase the best quality deck inlets and power plug ends.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:02 PM   #34
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Tips on new shore power cords?

Quote:
Arctic Traveller wrote:
Quote:
*Yup, I converted last spring. I've seen too many burned up plugs, and if that happens at the boat inlet there is a good chance of a fire.
__________________________________________________ _________
Quote:
Just converted to the "Smart Plug" today. Easy install, great looking and a high quality product. One potential problem, however, is if you forget to unplug it from the boat before backing out, you may take the whole damn dock with you! This plug locks in 4 different ways!
-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Wednesday 10th of August 2011 03:16:42 PM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	smart plug.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	7043  

Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote