Old 03-25-2013, 10:08 PM   #21
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Absolutely. For fuel efficiency, time savings, and safety. There are areas you certainly don't want to be (think cold death by drowning) during a tide change within a few hours of our marina.

Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:09 PM   #22

City: Auckland
Vessel Name: Pioneer
Vessel Model: Westcoaster 53 converted to pleasure
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVNoPlans View Post
A fine break right about the Poor Knights?
Yep, Tutukaka works for us

Bendit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:55 AM   #23

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Selah
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 40
We check them every time and any trip going north of the Narrows is planned to use the tides. In South Puget Sound schedules may dictate running against -- for example taking visitors up to Hope Island for an afternoon. But then, coming out of Swantown the difference isn't great.
When we kept the boat up in Friday Harbor we generally planned around the tide table since our schedules were pretty flexible.
av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:32 AM   #24
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Most of the time I've no particular destination in mind on a day cruise, so currents are largely irrelevant (except for determining turn-around time) and I may be moving 4.5 knots in one direction and 10 knots in the other because of the current. Tide levels can be important too: two hours before low tide we were "pushing mud" (with dredging overdue and chart soundings out of date) occasionally on the Petaluma River last Thursday. Nevertheless, tidal currents in the San Francisco estuary make a whale of a difference on one's forward progress.

And current also make a very big difference in how smooth your trip is on the bays, especially San Pablo and anywhere in or close to "The Slot" on SF Bay or going in/out the Gate. Particularly on a summer afternoon when the wind picks up.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:07 PM   #25
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
Sometimes we do pay attention, sometimes we don't. Generally where we travel locally current is no longer a big factor. It used to be but then we were driven by work and Friday nights, go then or don't go.

However, on our cruises we must pay attention as there are numerous fast current passages and passes which can really mess up your day if you mistime the slacks. Even then sometimes you must buck a contrary current somewhere or travel at night. We love it when we can go with of course but it doesn't always happen.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:47 AM   #26

City: Olympia
Vessel Name: No Plans
Vessel Model: 1965 TollyCraft Voyager
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendit View Post
Yep, Tutukaka works for us
Funny you mention it. Wifey and I will be there enjoying a summery Christmas this year
MVNoPlans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:04 AM   #27
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
I am curious as to how many of us truly attempt to use the tide and currents to our advantage while cruising?Who does and who doesn't?
I'm curious too. What would cause you to think that this most basic of planning chores is something that we would ignore? Particularly in the PNW.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #28
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
I'm curious too. What would cause you to think that this most basic of planning chores is something that we would ignore? Particularly in the PNW.
Great question!

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #29
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
Great question!

The further north the bigger the tide swings and currents. In the Puget Sound tide swings are 14 ft and further north, Alaska/BC, they get to 20 ft. Also the depth can charge hundred of feet within a boat length. You do not want to cut buoys/corners, so courses, tide and currents are important to check.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:42 PM   #30

Thats odd

Quote:
Nowhere did I suggest that anyone on this board ignored "the most basic of planning chores". Read some of the responses received. Some folks plan around the tides and currents, others not so much depending on location. Were you somehow offended by my sincere curiosity?
Old 03-27-2013, 03:11 PM   #31
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Great thread, thanks for starting it. I remember waking up and coming to the bridge for my watch. We were on the one of the last legs of our passage to Seattle. I thought we might have been having engine problems. We were only making 3 knots headway! We were bucking the ebb. I will be planing our future cruises very carefully.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:07 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
I think some on this forum are misinterpreting the intent of your question. I took it to mean "why would the op even ask the question? Of course we would consider the tides! Just as we would check the fuel gage!"

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:14 PM   #33

Really?

Quote:
I think some on this forum are misinterpreting the intent of your question. I took it to mean "why would the op even ask the question? Of course we would consider the tides! Just as we would check the fuel gage!"
If you read the responses, our brethren in the Gulf area stated he does not bother with tides as they are miniscule. A gentleman on the ICW states that it doesn't matter as much where he is located as different inlets may run in different directions and he will be bucking one while assisted by another in most journeys. We don't all live in the PNW. Why ask any question on a forum?
Old 03-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
We don't all live in the PNW. Why ask any question on a forum?
Possibly to inform some PNW boaters that it might be a prudent idea to watch the tides???

Old 03-27-2013, 06:22 PM   #35
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Isn't that what MVNoPlans did in his original post #1...get the discussion started?
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:07 PM   #36
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
If you read the responses, our brethren in the Gulf area stated he does not bother with tides as they are miniscule. A gentleman on the ICW states that it doesn't matter as much where he is located as different inlets may run in different directions and he will be bucking one while assisted by another in most journeys. We don't all live in the PNW. Why ask any question on a forum?
It matters a lot on the east coast, current when you are using that inlet to transit twixt ocean and inside, or going up and down the Hudson for instance. Tide level DEFINITELY on the ICW as many places are not comfortably passable at low tide. Even the "pushme pullyou" effect on either side of an inlet varies, and if your trip is going to end closer to one side than another, it is a consideration. Personally, I think it is just basic seamanship to know what the water is doing below you and ahead of you and the effect it has or will have on your boat. After all your boat is floating and moving in the water, not on it.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #37
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Possibly to inform some PNW boaters that it might be a prudent idea to watch the tides???
I would hope that the OP asked the question because he honestly wanted to know the answer, not so he could ridicule anyone whose answer didn't agree with his practice.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:37 PM   #38
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
It matters a lot on the east coast, current when you are using that inlet to transit twixt ocean and inside, or going up and down the Hudson for instance. Tide level DEFINITELY on the ICW as many places are not comfortably passable at low tide. Even the "pushme pullyou" effect on either side of an inlet varies, and if your trip is going to end closer to one side than another, it is a consideration. Personally, I think it is just basic seamanship to know what the water is doing below you and ahead of you and the effect it has or will have on your boat. After all your boat is floating and moving in the water, not on it.
Knowing the state of the tide and current is, of course, part of basic seamanship. As I posted above, and apparently only one person picked up on, planning your entire cruise on tides and current is not necessary or practical for some of us. Yes, some of us.

I can't justify hanging around some boring anchorage or marina for six extra hours just to save $2 in fuel by waiting for a favorable current. You can save fuel by going with the tide and your time from point A to point B may be less, but your miles covered per day can go way down requiring more marina stays. Where's the economy in that?
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:43 PM   #39
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
The ICW behind Gulf Shores is pretty docile {except at LuLu's where it sometimes gets rowdy}, but the passes can be pretty tough with opposing tide to wind. Currents run pretty strong around Pensacola Pass, and with wind against the tide Pennsacola Bay can kick the hell out of you.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:03 PM   #40
chc

City: Essex, MD
Vessel Name: Scooter
Vessel Model: 1984 Californian 34 LRC
We do a lot of gunkholing on the Chesapeake so knowing the tidal staus becomes helpful in keeping the props out of the mud. On our ICW trip, tidal info was critcal in some spots to assure a properly timed passage thru a low area. Weather & tides are something we check before each jaunt.

chc is offline   Reply With Quote