Old 02-08-2018, 01:35 PM   #1
Guru

City: Cowiche, WA
Send a message via Skype™ to kolive
Time to replace our house battery bank.

We are working on replacing our house bank batteries and wonder if people have recommendations for reasonably priced batteries. The ones that need replacing are Trojan 125 6volt batteries. We have 6 to replace. Are There particular brands we should avoid? Of course the easy move is to go with the same but batteries are not my area of expertise so I am asking the group for preferences.

kolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:11 PM   #2
Guru

City: Litchfield, Ct/Punta Gorda, Fl
Vessel Model: Atlas Pompano 23
Trojan T-105 or T-125 batteries are the gold standard of flooded cell golf cart batteries. Are they better than Duracell's that are available at Batteriesplus? Yes, but how much better is an open question. i suspect not much better because the market would quickly weed out any poor performer in this hugely competitive application.

I think Batteriesplus sells the Duracell GC-2s for near $100 each. Trojans will be more, maybe close to $150 each. At that price differential, I would go with the Duracells.

David

djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:15 PM   #3
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
Should be tons of threads on this issue on TF and just as many opinions. I use Trojan T-105s on my golf cart and US Battery 225 AH on my boat , both 6V, and have had no issues with either and had 6 to 7 years use from them. There are lots of cheap knock offs but I would recommend you stay with batteries with good names and proven performance.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:29 PM   #4

City: Oriental N.C.
Vessel Name: true heading
Vessel Model: marine trader 38 dc
the Trojan 105s can be up to $40 difference in price each.so shop around the golf cart centers it is worth an hour drive to save $250.it is to me anyway
timb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

City: St Joseph, MI
Vessel Name: Betty Lou
Vessel Model: 42’ Heritage East Nova Sundeck
Costco or Sam's club has the golf cart batteries for $89. I recently put 8 in my bank. I love the quality of the Trojan battery, but for the price difference, the Duracell pays for itself. You can almost buy two for the price of one Trojan.

If you are not a Costco Member, you can buy a gift card and anyone can use that from my understanding.
mcgann454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:14 PM   #6
Guru

City: Cowiche, WA
Send a message via Skype™ to kolive
The Costco ones are much cheaper than the Trojan, but I wonder about their life span and quality. They are an interstate battery.
kolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

City: St Joseph, MI
Vessel Name: Betty Lou
Vessel Model: 42’ Heritage East Nova Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolive View Post
The Costco ones are much cheaper than the Trojan, but I wonder about their life span and quality. They are an interstate battery.
I actually bought the Duracells at Sam's, but saw the ones at Costco also. I could not remember the manufacturer, but many people have mentioned that most are made by the same company and labeled by the re seller.

With the battery priced at 60% of the Trojan, I imagine the battery will last longer the 60% of the life of the Trojan. I am in no way an expert on this subject, though.
mcgann454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:23 PM   #8

City: Oriental N.C.
Vessel Name: true heading
Vessel Model: marine trader 38 dc
this where we bought them for our golf cart. it's the best price I've seen with this price they are always fresh. you may be able to find a good price in you area . they are defiantly not twice the price of the cheaper ones If you shop around.

https://bradsgolfcars.com/golf-car-b...f-car-battery/
timb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:54 PM   #9
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
When we replaced our 2-8Ds last year i went to a local battery business and bought 6 Trojan t105s for $103 each. Good enough!
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 04:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

City: Hope, Idaho
Vessel Name: Mary Elyse
Vessel Model: 1964 Boston Whaler Eastport
FWIW, weíre replacing our six T105 bank with three Firefly G31s. A lot more money, but weíre taking the long view.

These two articles (and the comments following are very informative.

https://www.panbo.com/archives/2016/...chwab_you.html

https://www.passagemaker.com/trawler...ut-the-details
OldToby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:29 PM   #11
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Keith, on my sailboat I replaced my house bank with 4 x 6v GC. I bought them from Costco and the price was very good and the batteries seemed to perform really well until I sold the sailboat at the end of 2017. I think they are a very good value and for our purposes, I think are a good bet. Now, if I was a full-time cruiser living on the hook out in the boonies, then maybe an argument could be made for spending the big buck on Trojan's. Around here? Nope.

BTW, Budget Batteries on Center is a good spot to get rid of your old batteries. Easy and they give a pretty good value on the core. They are certainly worth giving a call anyway as far as the batteries go. The owner is pretty willing to work with you on price and if you call them as ask them what they have that would compete with Costco, he will give you an honest answer.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:57 PM   #12
S41
Veteran Member

City: Puget Sound
Vessel Model: Currently boatless
I have had good luck with Interstate Batteries on two different boats, both had come with them already installed. They did what they were supposed to do with no issues. I prefer AGM batteries these days for the ease of maintenance.
S41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:33 AM   #13
Guru

City: Anacortes
I used to use Dyno gc, but this last go round I upped the battery count to ten for the house bank and went with lifeline agm. They have more capacity, take a faster charge and also represented almost 4K worth of cost. This winter the marina lost power and had enough surge that the charger went into an error state and would not reset automatically. When I found it, the house bank was so drained it could not run a cheap toy from China. They did take a charge, but the risk of an early death or diminished capacity suddenly seems more tangible than before. Last June at haulout I put in underwater exhaust for a northern lights 5kw and a sound shield. Itís freakishly quiet that I can run it in any anchorage at any time. So that makes me nod more towards cheaper gc, you might beat performance, but not value.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:22 AM   #14
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Kolive, sine you are on vashon island I would recomend you get Dyno batteries. Dyno actually publishes their specs. They publish the plate thickness, number of plates and the weight. If you can find another battery that specs out the same for less money great. Most battery manufactures wonít publish their specs but will try to fool you with amp hrs and price to purchase an inferior battery. You can find Dyno batteries at fisheries.

House batteries work far harder than start batteries.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:45 AM   #15
FF
Guru

For most folks starting to cruise the first and perhaps second set of house batts will be sacrificial , unless a SOC meter is working.

The ability to no hassle return/replace the killed batts easily is worth more than a "forever" set of batts.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:50 AM   #16
Veteran Member

City: Beavercreek, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost View Post
I used to use Dyno gc, but this last go round I upped the battery count to ten for the house bank and went with lifeline agm. They have more capacity, take a faster charge and also represented almost 4K worth of cost. This winter the marina lost power and had enough surge that the charger went into an error state and would not reset automatically. When I found it, the house bank was so drained it could not run a cheap toy from China. They did take a charge, but the risk of an early death or diminished capacity suddenly seems more tangible than before. Last June at haulout I put in underwater exhaust for a northern lights 5kw and a sound shield. Itís freakishly quiet that I can run it in any anchorage at any time. So that makes me nod more towards cheaper gc, you might beat performance, but not value.
@ghost For clarification; you installed the AMG batteries because of the Marina power outage? Or did the outage happen after you did this install and now you've discovered something unsettling? Your testimony could track logically either way, at least to me hence my questions.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:02 AM   #17
Guru

City: Anacortes
To clarify, My Dynoís lasted about 8 years and started to fade. I upgraded to the agmís. They are nicer in almost every way. Then I inadvertently drained them to zero and kept them in this state for days because of the marina outage. Itís just something that happened. That may well sap some of the life from them only two seasons into their life. I donít burn test banks this big so I canít measure the difference and prefer data over opinion(data scientist here). Subjectively, Iíll have to form an opinion this next season. The simple point is itís easy to mistreat expensive batteries. Regular golf carts give most of the performance for much less cost.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:50 AM   #18
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolive View Post
We are working on replacing our house bank batteries and wonder if people have recommendations for reasonably priced batteries. The ones that need replacing are Trojan 125 6volt batteries. We have 6 to replace. Are There particular brands we should avoid? Of course the easy move is to go with the same but batteries are not my area of expertise so I am asking the group for preferences.

If they gave you good service life, if they're easy enough to service (access and so forth), and if they give you the capacity you need, think I'd just stay with the Trojan 125s.

You could shop round for prices, and sometimes battery stores will match internet prices.

If they're difficult to service or in a place where off-gassing could be a concern, there might be other solutions... at higher cost.

-Chris
Old 02-09-2018, 11:53 AM   #19
Guru

City: sydney
Vessel Name: Aquabelle
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Flushdeck
I've had x8 US Batteries 225aH & Crown 235aH golf carts right now....both have been/are fine. But I'll replace the x8 Crowns with x4 Oasis Firefly G31's @ 110aH each, like OldToby at post #10, when the time comes. The much faster recharge times, 80% DoD and overall charge regime robustness more than justify the higher upfront cost in my usage.
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:33 PM   #20
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Another +1 for the Costco Interstate GC2s at $89 each but being a big fan of Trojan, if I could score a T105 for $110 or less, I'd consider going that route.

I got 5 years from my first set of Costco GC2s, changed in 2016. The replacement set cost about $550 compared to a Trojan bank about 50% higher cost pricing at the time. I also like the ease of return/replacement with several Costco stores close to my marina and home.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote