Old 02-09-2018, 04:16 PM   #21
Guru

City: East Coast, Australia
I think Al's comment at post #20 above raises an interesting point...which has also come up in the current thread about 8D's. What is a reasonable life expectation for the life of a House bank of golf cart flooded batteries in 'typical' trawler usage. No such thing as typical maybe (though I think there are distinct groups of usage patterns)...but Al seems to be Ok with getting 5 years from his Costco GC2's....whereas if I got anything less than 10-11 years from my Crowns ( & US Batteries before that) I'd be pretty disappointed. I've made a significant investment in a top-notch Victron inverter-charger; in Balmar external regulators and a Balmar 'centerfielder'; in Balmar Duo-Chargers, good alternators, etc etc....so all that makes me demand and expect a 10+ year life for my House bank (and for that matter, 9-10 years for my Start bank too).
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:59 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Paul, in all fairness to the batteries, their performance plummeted after my 30A shore charger failed on a week out on anchor. I upgraded the charger to 55A and installed a combiner and Balmar 120A alternator before replacing the batts. Realistically, I'd expect 7 years from a set of well maintained LA GC2s.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:54 PM   #23
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
On my boat height is not an issue but the foot print has its limits. I use L16 batteries, I have 1600 amp hours of capacity and I am expecting 10+ years of life from my lead acid Dyno batteries.
tiltrider1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:22 PM   #24
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Battery life is determined largely by use and maintenance. The original batteries on my sailboat were 2 wet cell 4Ds. They lasted 10 years. Most of their life was spent on a charger at the dock other than long weekends and the occasional week long cruise. They were occasionally discharged badly, but not often.

The same batteries with more frequent deep discharge and they would have given up quickly.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:34 AM   #25
FF
Guru

The use , DOD (depth of discharge) will determine the batts service life.

Most batt mfg have a few charts showing the life at 80% DOD, 50% DOD and 25% DOD.

Weather a desulfation setup will help with folks that go below 50% often is still a discussion.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:52 AM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
The use , DOD (depth of discharge) will determine the batts service life.

Most batt mfg have a few charts showing the life at 80% DOD, 50% DOD and 25% DOD.

Weather a desulfation setup will help with folks that go below 50% often is still a discussion.
This is why I have a 1600 amp hour bank
Old 02-11-2018, 06:29 AM   #27
FF
Guru

"This is why I have a 1600 amp hour bank"

I hope you have a 300A alternator or some other system to recharge in modest time!

Even only down to 50% DOD , that a bunch of amps to create and stuff into the batts.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 12:23 AM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"This is why I have a 1600 amp hour bank"

I hope you have a 300A alternator or some other system to recharge in modest time!

Even only down to 50% DOD , that a bunch of amps to create and stuff into the batts.
10k generator & 300 amp battery charger.