Old 06-17-2011, 04:58 AM   #1

City: Onancock Creek,VA
Vessel Name: Tracinda's Treasure
Vessel Model: Pearson 43 Motor Yacht
Time to replace the batteries.

I have 4 - 8D gel cells. One each as starting batteries and two in series as house batteries. We like to stay on the hook as much as possible. I currently have a Xantrex 40 amp charger and just the standard alternators on a pair of Volvo TAMD 41's. The engines are wired to a Guest battery isolator.

Most of the lighting on the boat is 12 volt. slowly switching to LED. We put in a regular home type Whirlpool refrig/freezer when we were living aboard. I have an 1800 watt inverter to run the fridge and TV while on the hook.

Im thinking a pair of 4D's for starting batteries and 4 6 volt deep cycles for house batteries.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks,

Marsh Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:19 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
RE: Time to replace the batteries.

Jack:**You*may want to increase the*size of your house bank.* With*4-6 volt deep cycle (~450 AH), you*only have about 135 amps per day available if you*don't discharge below 50% and as you know putting in the last 20%*takes a lot of energy.* Your refrigerator/freezer probably take all of that plus some.* I don't know about your Volvo's and if the 4D's are recommended.

Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:37 AM   #3
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

I would think the 4D's can start just about anything.* The 4 6V will give you the same as your present system.* So if the present system works that's the ticket. 6 6V will increase the house system and you will have the room to do that with one of the 8D's gone.

There's as many discussions on this as twin vs single.* But my take is charge the house bank*directly form your chargers (Alt and Xantrex) use an Echo to charge the 4 D's.** If you don't already have an external adjustable regulator on the Alt (Balmar or whatever brand) get one*and don't split up the Xan, use only the*one leg and charge all 40 A to the house system.* The Echo will take care of the 4 D's.

This worked on my last boat and it will be what*I do this this boat as the system needs repair or replacement.* This system was suggested in a seminar that I went to and it makes perfect sense.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:21 AM   #4

I appreciate the advice. I didn't realize it took so much longer to charge the last 20%. I found last year on a five day cruise that by the third day I was running the genset a lot to keep the batteries up. I bought the boat in 04 but didn't start using it until 06. The 8D gels were in the boat when I bought it and I don't know how old they are. Going to take off around the 4th for 10 days and figured I'd change out the batteries before I start. The local Interstate dealer and I are good friends so Interstate is the plan. I can do 6 - 6 volts for more capacity. I need a little more weight aft anyway.
JD I'm familiar with the Echo your talking about.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:22 AM   #5

I meant to say not familiar with the Echo your taking about.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:24 AM   #6
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Quote:
Marsh Rat wrote:
I meant to say not familiar with the Echo your taking about.
*This should help.

http://www.solar-electric.com/echo-charger.html

BTW I agree with David.* One engine with a bigger Alt*with an*external regulator*will do great and*GRP 31's do have enough to do the job.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

City: St Augustine
Vessel Model: Mainship390

I have been using an Echo Charger to charge my starting battery for 5 years now with no problem.
millennium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:23 PM   #8

City: Noank, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight

My 1979 Perkins 6.354 starts instantly with the group 31. It replaced an 8D. The house went from one 8D to 4 6 volts. Charging is 40 amp xantrax on the dock, 140 amp alternater*with*a three stage regulator cruising or on the hook. Can also use the generator to run the Xantrax.

Rob

37' Sedan

Datenight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:50 PM   #9
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC

I have twin 6.354's as well and I did the same thing, threw away my 8D batteries but replaced them with two 4D batteries. *I also got rid of the original battery charger and installed a 40 amp Xantrex charger and remote monitor. *My batteries are on their 8th year now, they don't use water and spin those Perkins up like there is no tomorrow. *

The real key to long battery life was the Xantrex charger which floats the battery bank voltages seperately , monitors the batteries without trickle charging them and cycles them every 21 days if left idle.

Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote