Old 08-15-2014, 03:14 PM   #21
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
I'm trying to think of some place that is applicable. In our several trips the length of the ICW, can't recall off hand a place like that. Example?
The AICW south of Georgetown to Charleston.

Also north of Beaufort, NC where the currents and tides are wind driven.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:39 PM   #22
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
There is current on Core Creek and Adams Creek (north of Beaufort) that is tidal, likewise out Ocracoke, Hatteras and Oregon inlets. The wind does not produce current, but certainly causes water level, especially on the Neuse and Pamlico rivers. These have been our home waters the past few years.

I guess I just extrapolated timing from the Santee River and Charleston currents along with the tide cycles. Playing and studying the currents was a favorite game of mine, not to say I always won!

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:20 PM   #23
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
There are current predictions for many of the river systems that the ICW is part of like the Savannah, Charleston Harbor, Waccamaw, Cape Fear, etc...I could go on but there's too many to list.

Granted much of the ICW doesn't have current predictions BECAUSE the current reverses so quickly from inlet to inlet...and there's not enough interest on spending the money I'll bet...but if a study was done or a current meter was placed there...the current could certainly be predicted based on averages just like any other place.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:52 PM   #24
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
There is current on Core Creek and Adams Creek (north of Beaufort) that is tidal, likewise out Ocracoke, Hatteras and Oregon inlets. The wind does not produce current, but certainly causes water level, especially on the Neuse and Pamlico rivers. These have been our home waters the past few years.

I guess I just extrapolated timing from the Santee River and Charleston currents along with the tide cycles. Playing and studying the currents was a favorite game of mine, not to say I always won!
I cruise at 2K RPM unless I have a reason to do otherwise. In slack water, that's 7 knots for me (GPS). There are places on the AICW where I can go from 9 knots to five knots or vice versa within a few minutes. A half hour later, I'm at the original speed. Look at a chart or a map and you can see why. As water moves from the ocean through an inlet between barrier islands, it turns both north and south. If you are heading north you will be bucking the current until you pass the inlet, then you will be going with the current until halfway (more or less) between this inlet and the next inlet.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:03 PM   #25
Guru

City: Anchorage/Wrangell
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
Tidal current predictions just that, predictions. I have seen C-Map on Coastal Explorer and Navionics say exactly the opposite current flow at the same time in the same water. For the most part they were both right depending on which side the strait you were on. In Wrangell narrows, the tide flows in and out from both sides meaning somewhere in the narrows the current will swap ends theoretically. In our last transit, we left 1.5 hours before high tide so as to ride the high to the expected swap point, but 1 mile from Petersburg the current swapped and for the next 17 miles it was all uphill. It is what it is and if it's too much on the bow, we can always stop.

Tom
tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:55 AM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
There are current predictions for many of the river systems that the ICW is part of like the Savannah, Charleston Harbor, Waccamaw, Cape Fear, etc...I could go on but there's too many to list.

Granted much of the ICW doesn't have current predictions BECAUSE the current reverses so quickly from inlet to inlet...and there's not enough interest on spending the money I'll bet...but if a study was done or a current meter was placed there...the current could certainly be predicted based on averages just like any other place.
The specific area Ron identified, once you get south of the Santee (which has current info) only has two inlets of interest at McClellanville and Isle of Palms that are somewhat navigable and unlike a lot of places in Georgia, for instance, do not have a lot of water or a river behind them on the land side. So there is not really a lot of current flow compared to the real gushers.

As for the push/pull effect on inlet- crossing waterways, sometimes you can play them by planning to hit the inlet proper at slack (not a bad time to deal with any inlet), sometimes it is unavoidable, leading to an almost zero sum game.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 08-18-2014, 10:57 PM   #27
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
The specific area Ron identified, once you get south of the Santee (which has current info) only has two inlets of interest at McClellanville and Isle of Palms that are somewhat navigable and unlike a lot of places in Georgia, for instance, do not have a lot of water or a river behind them on the land side. So there is not really a lot of current flow compared to the real gushers.
George, are you referring to Deweese Inlet north of IOP? Just curious what you were able to navigate through there.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:44 PM   #28
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
If you are working with the tide app on Coastal Explorer, don't forget to check that the clock on your computer is set correctly, particularly if it isn't connected to the internet. Mine was out half an hour. I couldn't figure out why the state of tide was different with my iPad and discovered it was because the clock on the computer was out.

iTdes works fine, I find. Rivers have a profound effect on marine currents. Rich Thomson, DFO-IOS points out that the waters surrounding Vancouver Island are essentially extensions of the Fraser River. Ebb tides have greater flows than the flood.

You ICW guys! Those aren't currents. Check out the currents at Nakwakto Rapids. Now THAT'S a tidal rapid!

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:48 AM   #29
Guru

I leave for the tropics in December via the nice easy ICW...where will you be?
Old 08-26-2014, 09:56 AM   #30
Guru

Probably tucked in, in Steveston.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:21 AM   #31
Guru

Exactly.....
Old 08-26-2014, 11:09 AM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
George, are you referring to Deweese Inlet north of IOP? Just curious what you were able to navigate through there.
Yes, but me? I'm chicken, but I have seen a commercial "real trawler" guy do it at high tide. Would never recommend to anyone with a boat of any larger size than the center console types who are equipped with local knowledge. Probably why it lacks current info.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:56 PM   #33
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Yes, but me? I'm chicken, but I have seen a commercial "real trawler" guy do it at high tide. Would never recommend to anyone with a boat of any larger size than the center console types who are equipped with local knowledge. Probably why it lacks current info.
Agree. I can see the commercial guys finding their way through, but those sandbars and gullies shift so much from year to year it would scare me to death to try that inlet in anything but a skiff. I was riding in a 19-ft bow rider years ago, piloted by a guy who was born and raised on IOP, and he still landed hard on a shoal.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:11 PM   #34

City: Benicia CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Exactly.....
Your avatar is so appropriate. Perfect choice.
Nsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:32 PM   #35
Guru

Tidal Current Prediction

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
Probably tucked in, in Steveston.

...and not worrying about hurricanes.

Jim