Thruster Zinc Removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danderer

Guru
Vessel Name
Infinity
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 48
My Side Power thruster has two zincs. They're mounted at the ends of the drive shaft. They mount over the prop retaining nut and within a small lip on the prop. There is a single allen bolt through the zinc.

Removing the zincs for replacement the first year was a nightmare. The allen bolts came out fine, but corrosion/wastege had bound the zincs firmly to both the prop and the retaining nut. There was no good way to get access to pry them out.

I tried drilling out pieces (while trying not to drill the prop or nut). I tried grinding and cutting. I tried running a screw into the zinc and pulling -- which had me fly backwards about 3 feet and land on my rump with the zinc still in-place. Nothing seemed to work well. I think after a few hours I finally drilled/ground out enough pieces to pry the remaining fragments out.

Thought about this over the next year and had a new approach to try.

1. Remove the allen bolt.
2. Drill a small hole off-center in the zinc. Don't go too deep.
3. Run some type of screw a few threads-deep into the hole. I use a thin course-thread screw like a decking or drywall screw.
4. Grab the screw head with a slide hammer and give it a pop.

What was interesting about this plan was that it actually worked like a charm. Removing those zincs is now a 5 minute task with no cursing.

Attachments

• 10-SIDE-POWER-ANODES.jpg
    10-SIDE-POWER-ANODES.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 63
Nice tip. I have a Side Power stern thruster that I installed last year that will need a new anode in the spring. Will keep this in mind.

If you put a tiny dab of Kopr-Shield on the back side the anode will not stick to the nut.

I am assuming this is an out of the water procedure. What about the diver getting them out?

Back
Top Bottom