Old 05-26-2014, 05:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Gig Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: Noeta
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 46
Hobbs meter stuck

Just spent a great Memorial Weekend on the water and noticed my port Hobbs meter on the lower helm is not working. It works on the flybridge. Simple fix?
Arcticspud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:59 PM   #2
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Replace it. Make a note in the log when and the hours and use a new one.
I've gone through two when they quit at ~ 1,500 hr ea.

The third I'm still running after ~3,000 hr. and 20 yr.

The first two were mechanical and they gummed up. I beat them, I drilled tiny holes in them to spray lube them but they died.

The current one and showing no death signs is the quartz electronic version. Looks the same. And yes all were Hobbs.

I still keep the first two at home just in case I sell the boat although I suspect when I do it won't matter at all.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

That what I was afraid of. It's a cummins tach so it is probably a small fortune.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:23 PM   #4
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
You might contact Cummins for a repair.. Or try Lauderdale Speedometer. Maybe they can repair it. They have been the go to place for many for many years.

But if it truly is a Hobbs best just replace it and keep the old one.

On my pevious boat I installed two Hobbs since it didn;t have any hourmeters. I put them close by but not on the dash. They certainly are not anything that needs to be front and centre.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:51 AM   #5
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
$16 on ebay or see if HopCar can help.

Brand New Hour Meter 9 80VDC Hourmeter Black Round | eBay
Attached Thumbnails
!BvZ7BK!Bmk~$(KGrHqR,!hYEv1+0Ei-JBMEZrW8ZqQ~~_12.jpg  
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:19 AM   #6
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Are we talking about a free-standing Hobbs hour meter or Cummins hour meter integrated into a tachometer?

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The hour meter is integrated into the tach.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:56 AM   #8
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Try Lauderdale Speedometer and Compass.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:28 AM   #9
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
VDO tachs with hourmeters: the hm's suck. Many failed and replaced. Some new replacements failed too. Digital lcd's fail. Mechanical ones too. On my personal boat, the hm is started to freak out at 1800hrs, but now seems to be working.

Hobbs name brand HM's: They fail too. Got a box of stuck meters. Digital and mechanical. I wonder if some cheap counterfeits have made it into the supply chain, as Hobbs is supposedly reputable and used on aircraft, etc.

The Hobbs (name brand) on my genny recently logged about 16hrs on a 10hr overnight run. No wonder my oil seems clean when changed at 200hr!! On a run a couple years ago, I noticed no clocking. Whacked it and it started working. Or so I thought.

Digital lcd's: They suck for a unique reason. When they die you have no clue what the last reading was.

No Name brand: They suck. Lots of them in the pooped hm box.

Can't anyone make a stupid hourmeter that works???? Kinda peeved over these stupid things.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:42 AM   #10
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
VDO tachs with hourmeters: the hm's suck. Many failed and replaced. Some new replacements failed too. Digital lcd's fail. Mechanical ones too. On my personal boat, the hm is started to freak out at 1800hrs, but now seems to be working.

Hobbs name brand HM's: They fail too. Got a box of stuck meters. Digital and mechanical. I wonder if some cheap counterfeits have made it into the supply chain, as Hobbs is supposedly reputable and used on aircraft, etc.

The Hobbs (name brand) on my genny recently logged about 16hrs on a 10hr overnight run. No wonder my oil seems clean when changed at 200hr!! On a run a couple years ago, I noticed no clocking. Whacked it and it started working. Or so I thought.

Digital lcd's: They suck for a unique reason. When they die you have no clue what the last reading was.

No Name brand: They suck. Lots of them in the pooped hm box.

Can't anyone make a stupid hourmeter that works???? Kinda peeved over these stupid things.
Not sure if age is the issue or the hrs recorded....or the environment they live in.

The one's I linked have survived for 1700 run hrs for my diesel heater (2 years)....hopefully they last at least 5000 hrs or 3-5 years. I paid $12 bucks at the time and even at $15 I can live with replacing every 5 years. I just plug mine in to advance them to where they should be.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:54 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Here is more to the story...I was down taking some photos to help ID which tach/hour meter I have and noticed the starboard hour meter only ran for about 1 out 10 hours.

Yesterday the second engine did not turn over. It only clicked like a dead battery. It did start after I tied both banks together. I did the same thing today.

Could a flat battery do this?
Old 05-28-2014, 05:09 AM   #12
FF
Guru

Could a flat battery do this?

Perhaps , some of the old hour meters simply wound a clock like device that would run for a min or two, . No batt juice , no power to wind the meter.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:33 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I am going to install a separate hobbs meter for each engine. Fixing or replacing the individual techs/hour meters is next to impossible. I have two holes in the panel that will fit the meters nicely.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1401338035.775116.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	30230
Old 05-29-2014, 07:18 AM   #14
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Don't give up on the hour meter in your VDO tach. Check out Odometer Gears. www.odometergears.com

We bought new gears from these guys and were very easy to repair thanks to Trawler Forum member Dave on m/v Fryedaze. He does a step by step gear replacement tutorial.

http://www.odometergears.com/howto/H..._To_Repair.pdf
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote