Old 05-14-2014, 11:28 AM   #41
City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Low voltage will cause a DC motor to slow down. On a bow thruster, it can cause the solenoids to freeze up. Kind of like your car, sometimes hammering on 'em will help, on my Vetus I had to stick my finger down the hole to loosen it. Yes, I did tell it that it may experience a little momentary discomfort.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:23 AM   #42
City: Gold Coast
DC Bow Thrusters are a series wound electric engine that as the voltage drops so does the amps. Just wanted to correct a few comments above. The constant with the thruster is the torque load at the propeller so with this constant you will only see an increase relative to the torque loading. An example is when the propeller is a bit crusty - it will increase the torque load and therefore the amp draw at a given voltage.
Just the facts.

Delta Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:37 AM   #43
City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
I see no harm in using AGM batteries for the bow thruster power. Many boats that is the only type of battery that can be safely installed in the bow. AGM batteries are as close to a dual use battery as you are going to get.
George you are correct low voltage can be a real issue with any DC powered bow thruster. I guess there are installations from aft engines where the thruster wires run from the ER to the bow the round trip distance can easily exceed 60 feet even on a small vessel. This is why I like to see the batteries for the thruster be located within 10 feet round trip in the bow. This applies to stern thrusters, although they are rare compared to the number of bow thrusters.

Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote