Three way transfer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The ground does not have to be switched. Double pole breakers and rotary switches break the neutral so the only green ground/neutral connection will be from the power source in use...

The ground does not have to be switched. Double pole breakers and rotary switches break the neutral so the only green ground/neutral connection will be from the power source in use...

It will still be connected to the shorepower inlet and if the shorepower cord is plugged into the marina pedestal, there will be two seperate ground connections which is not permitted byu the electrical code.

If you unplug the shorepower cord you will be compliant, but that relies on you or anyone else knowing and remembering to do so.

Regarding below. To be certain I have gone back and reviewed the ABYC diagrams and none break the green ground. Intuitively you need to think electrical path. Even if your shore cord is plugged in and you are using an onboard power source the ground in the cord will be irrelevant because the power source is contained within the hull. Any stray current will be trying to return to its onboard power source (not the dock).

It will still be connected to the shorepower inlet and if the shorepower cord is plugged into the marina pedestal, there will be two seperate ground connections which is not permitted byu the electrical code.

If you unplug the shorepower cord you will be compliant, but that relies on you or anyone else knowing and remembering to do so.

I just found this thread. I am about to do a similar installation on my similar 1986 trawler. I also have a separate 30 amp shorepower inlet for my Air Conditioning panel. In your two switch set up, where do you get the two power feeds (one to each switch/panel) from the Next Gen? Are they just coming from the same feed?

Shore power comes into each switch. AC generator connects to both switches. Connect AC generator to one then jumper to the other. AC generator needs to be wired straight 120-volt versus 240-volt. This avoids having to worry about balancing the loads.

What KW is your AC generator going to be? Size the conductors from the AC generator to its rated output. It may be substantially higher than the individual dock inlet fittings.

I just found this thread. I am about to do a similar installation on my similar 1986 trawler. I also have a separate 30 amp shorepower inlet for my Air Conditioning panel. In your two switch set up, where do you get the two power feeds (one to each switch/panel) from the Next Gen? Are they just coming from the same feed?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom