Old 10-13-2012, 08:08 AM   #21
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
On CF, I see you have already ordered your panel, but take a look at these:

Switch, AC 120VAC 30A OFF +3 - PN 9010 - Blue Sea Systems

Switch, AC 240VAC 65A OFF +3 - PN 9077 - Blue Sea Systems

I have the same inverter and generator that you do, and while I don't have two panels, I do have two legs of the AC panel I will need to feed. The 9077 switch is what I was going to use to solve the problem when I got around to wiring the inverter to the panel.

Here are the Defender link to the 9077:

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...042&id=1329874

Old 10-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #22
Guru

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
Searching on "rotary" at Defender results in 3 applicable 3-way switches.

Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #23
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Remember this is a bit harder than it seems as the ground from the dock must be carries aboard , but the noisemaker and inverter will have the neutral and ground joined ..
Yes, the shore power ground will have to be disconnected when the inverter or genset are being used.

Make sure you undestand how to do this correctly and safely before you start the project.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:30 PM   #24
Guru

The Blue Seas 3 position took some searching to ultimately find until Tom posted. It looks like I will use two switches. The 3 way will connect the inverter, generator and shore power to the main panel. I have a 2 position switch now, which will connect the Air conditioning panel to shore power and the genset. So I think the issue is resolved. The generator will be delivered on Friday and then the real fun begins. the first thing will be to wrestle 200 lbs of generator into the engine compartment. Since this isn't a working marina we will indeed wrestle it into place. Thanks for the suggestions. Chuck
Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #25

City: Green Cove Springs, Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to bglad
The neutral/green ground connecton problem will be handled as long as the switches/breakers you use break the neutral and hot. The green grounds can all go to one buss without any problem.
bglad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:14 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bglad View Post
The neutral/green ground connecton problem will be handled as long as the switches/breakers you use break the neutral and hot. The green grounds can all go to one buss without any problem.
Yep, no problem with that. The transfer switches do break both the hot and neutral. The generator has arrived and we did indeed wrestle it into the engine compartment by hand. now the real fun begins. The second transfer switch has arrived and the pieces are all coming together. We will do a posting on our Beach House blog on the installation. Thanks for all your input.

Click image for larger version

Name:	generator sound shield.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	13640
Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:20 AM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Not so. The ground must connect to the neutral at only one place, that being the point of origin. When on shore power, that is the service entrance at the marina. When on inverter or genset power, that is at the genset or inverter.

If you don't break the ground connection to shorepower when you switch to genset or inverter power, you will have two ground connections, one on your boat and one at the marina service entrance.

Yout lights and everything on the boat wll still work, so you think it's fine, but it's not. You can have current flowing in the ground circuit that shouldn't be. This could cause problems on your boat or other boats at the marina.

Check with an experienced marine electrician or look it up in the code book.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:45 AM   #28
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Think you can draw this out? I am not sure I understand.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #29
Guru

are you saying the ground must also be switched?
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:02 AM   #30
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
are you saying the ground must also be switched?
On my system, the inverter has an automatic transfer switch that senses shore or generator power. It then passes that current through by passing the inverter. The sub panel for the inverter powered circuits does not connect to the neutral buss with the main panel. The neutral connects back to the inverter. The safety ground to the inverter serves as the ground. It carries through a large 2 AWG wire connected to the DC ground bus. This completely isolates the inverter and main panel circuits.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:04 PM   #31

The ground does not have to be switched. Double pole breakers and rotary switches break the neutral so the only green ground/neutral connection will be from the power source in use...
Old 10-20-2012, 01:11 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
The ground does not have to be switched. Double pole breakers and rotary switches break the neutral so the only green ground/neutral connection will be from the power source in use...
It will still be connected to the shorepower inlet and if the shorepower cord is plugged into the marina pedestal, there will be two seperate ground connections which is not permitted byu the electrical code.

If you unplug the shorepower cord you will be compliant, but that relies on you or anyone else knowing and remembering to do so.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:05 PM   #33

Regarding below. To be certain I have gone back and reviewed the ABYC diagrams and none break the green ground. Intuitively you need to think electrical path. Even if your shore cord is plugged in and you are using an onboard power source the ground in the cord will be irrelevant because the power source is contained within the hull. Any stray current will be trying to return to its onboard power source (not the dock).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
It will still be connected to the shorepower inlet and if the shorepower cord is plugged into the marina pedestal, there will be two seperate ground connections which is not permitted byu the electrical code.

If you unplug the shorepower cord you will be compliant, but that relies on you or anyone else knowing and remembering to do so.