Thoughts on SignalK?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arthurc

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Bear
Vessel Make
Kadey-Krogen 54
This winter my goal is to create a way to map/trend in real time data from my N2K network and it seems like there are not many ways to do this. One way is to convert N2K to 0183 then output, the other way seems to be to use SignalK with a device like iKommunicate.
Has anyone used that device? I am not looking to use it to get data to my iPads, etc as I have a RosePoint NEMO that does that. It would be to setup a separate computer that reads the SignalK info and writes them to a DB, then I can do things like look at EGT, Water Temp, Air Temp, RPM, Load and would likely be able to setup advanced warnings if something goes wrong, in other words EGT at a certain input fluids/air temp and rpm should always be in a certain range, if its not something is wrong.

Would love any thoughts this group has, I started with the idea of using the NEMO but ran into a number of roadblocks. I also know there are plenty of recording devices but the issue is they dont output in realtime.

Thanks
Arthur

From what I can tell, signalK has been a total belly flop.

I think the issue with iKomunicate is that is understands some, but not all on N2K, so logging will be incomplete. But I’m not 100% sure about that. I know the guy who did you the iKom product, so PM me if you want to dig deeper.

James Hamilton on Dirona hacked a way to log N2K telemetry to a database, but it’s not real-time, and maybe once every minute or 5 or something like that. Again, pm me if you want an intro.

The only product I know that logs everything is the maretron VDR. But it goes in a proprietary file system and format (probably a log file system for write performance) and their extraction tools are sophomoric at best. It’s torture to use, but does the job.

N2k is a closed system and today I don’t know of any company that makes a solution to read all the sentences and convert to another format like json. The nemo device does work to get limited data to coastal explorer and onto udp but I think it’s translating any n2k stuff to 0183 first. I have been talking to the Rose point folks and one the n2k standard is opened up they will likely create some ability to do this.
The option James told me about is to use a program called CANBOAT and an actisense ngt-1 to usb device.

I’ve ordered the ngt-1 and looking forward to trying this.

N2k is a closed system and today I don’t know of any company that makes a solution to read all the sentences and convert to another format like json. The nemo device does work to get limited data to coastal explorer and onto udp but I think it’s translating any n2k stuff to 0183 first. I have been talking to the Rose point folks and one the n2k standard is opened up they will likely create some ability to do this.
The option James told me about is to use a program called CANBOAT and an actisense ngt-1 to usb device.

I’ve ordered the ngt-1 and looking forward to trying this.

For what it's worth, I'm 99% sure that NEMO passes native N2K PGNs to CE, and CE "speaks" N2K as well as 0183. In fact, it's the only nav program I know of that speaks native N2K. That doesn't change the issue you have, I don't think, so just a random fact for anyone who might care.

Doesn't NEMO also convert N2K to 0183? Could you monitor in that mode? (btw, NEMO works with MaxSea TZ too.)

Interesting on CE being native n2k... that’s pretty cool. I use CE as my backup so good to know.

As far as opening up n2k I was told that by the rosepoint folks but no timeline.

I could convert to 0183 then store but it’s a limited set of sentences.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom